FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Biggest Whopper you've heard from a UA Pilot, Flight Attendant, Gate or Ticket Agent? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1344985-biggest-whopper-youve-heard-ua-pilot-flight-attendant-gate-ticket-agent.html)

PhotoJim May 16, 2012 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by JC5280 (Post 18564206)
Both of these are legitimate. I have flown in to hubs where virtually everything has been delayed. But yes, airlines will sometimes hold aircraft for connecting passengers. Depends on the circumstances and downline situation and impact.

My ORD-YQR flight was held up because of late inbound passengers from MCO. A rebooking changed a 2-hour connection to 50 minutes, and we were 15 minutes late arriving atop that. As it turns, 37 of the 50 booked passengers on ORD-YQR were on that MCO-ORD flight.

I should point out that I and the other six people in my party were in our seats on the RJ 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure. If I'd known 30 others were taking their time I could have a slightly more restful walk to Terminal 2. :)

(I should point out that this was a roughly 5:30 pm departure, and the only flight of the day to YQR. Failure to make this flight would require UA to put up the passengers overnight and route them via DEN, or send them on the next day's YQR run.)

weirdlyndon May 16, 2012 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by mre5765 (Post 18586820)
99.99% of the time there is no agent in the gate area when I leave the plane (and often I am the one who opens the door from the jetway to the gate area, and 90% of the time the magnet does not catch because the GA who operated the jetway, and is guarding the jetway door to the tarmac, didn't enter the proper code on the door that enables the magnet when the door is re-opened from inside the jetway. So I give up, and a few seconds later the siren goes off.).

With United, it has been the case for years that the counter is staffed only during pre-boarding (and in some stations like COS, rarely), and shortly before boarding the action moves to the podium. Arriving pax have nothing.

It is called cost cutting.

You probably just didn't see the GA. An airline representative must be monitoring the jetway door as long as it's opened with access to the aircraft or they can get STEEP penalties from the FAA. A GA can't just open the aircraft door, then the jetway door to let pax into the terminal and then bounce.

bkerea66 May 16, 2012 2:05 pm

Three gate agent Whoppers all in a row!

About a year ago my flight from Chicago to Tulsa was cancelled due to mechanical problems and a small group of more astute travelers took off at a run for the distant customer service counter. After a lengthy wait, I approached the agent and was told there were 31 seats left on the late flight to Tulsa and that I would be guaranteed a seat. To my left, another agent was telling a young couple flying to Tulsa that there were no more available seats and they would have to stay overnight and fly out at 4:00 PM the next day. To my right the agent was telling a young man in the military that he would have to wait until 8:30 AM for a flight to Tulsa. When all was said and done, I didn't get to fly out that night as the agent didn't actually book me on the flight but put me on standby!....and I was First Class - Premier Gold!.

Hachiko May 16, 2012 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by mre5765 (Post 18586820)
99.99% of the time there is no agent in the gate area when I leave the plane (and often I am the one who opens the door from the jetway to the gate area, and 90% of the time the magnet does not catch because the GA who operated the jetway, and is guarding the jetway door to the tarmac, didn't enter the proper code on the door that enables the magnet when the door is re-opened from inside the jetway. So I give up, and a few seconds later the siren goes off.).

With United, it has been the case for years that the counter is staffed only during pre-boarding (and in some stations like COS, rarely), and shortly before boarding the action moves to the podium. Arriving pax have nothing.

It is called cost cutting.

Sounds to me like you've got airline passeger tunnel vision syndrome.

There is always an agent. They are either down in the jetway assisting with gatechecks (on express flights) or standing behind the podium/counter up top. An open jetway cannot be left unattended.

bilofsky May 16, 2012 2:32 pm

On an SFO - IAD flight in March, the GA said the overheads were all full and made us gate check our rollons.

When we got to our seats, the bin above them was completely empty.

Syrgul May 16, 2012 3:11 pm

This one's not so much a whopper, but a ...:

Several years ago (Pre-(9/11) when I was still doing international, I was on a UA flight Chicago-Munich. After leaving the gate and taxing out to the runway, the pilot came on the intercome to state they were having an issue with the landing gear and needed to taxi back. A passenger a few rows forward of me hit the call button and had the FA come over. After discussing for a few minutes, he got up and went to the cockpit in the cockpit with the FA. The pilot then came over the intercome that "We're in luck! We have a United Mechanic onboard today." After about 10 minutes, the passenger came back, got in their seat and we took off.

Of course, I'm thinking "The pilot said the issue was with the landing gear. If the mechanic didn't leave the plane, how'd he fix the landing gear?"

emanon256 May 16, 2012 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Syrgul (Post 18588095)
Of course, I'm thinking "The pilot said the issue was with the landing gear. If the mechanic didn't leave the plane, how'd he fix the landing gear?"

PEBCAK related issue.

cardinal98 May 16, 2012 4:25 pm

1) Boarded our plane on time. 5 minutes after scheduled to depart instructed to deplane due to mechanical. Flight officially delayed (and then cancelled) due to "late arriving aircraft"

2) Red eye SFO->JFK. Boarded on time. 5 minutes after SFO->EWR left, purser announced to passengers that they didn't have a pilot as the scheduled pilot had jury duty the following day. They were searching for a replacement.

Originally Posted by bilofsky (Post 18587803)
On an SFO - IAD flight in March, the GA said the overheads were all full and made us gate check our rollons.

Sorry, not a "whopper." This is standard operating procedure with many of the GA today.

downhillcrasher May 16, 2012 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by scubaduuby (Post 18587320)
FA is doing the safety announcements and adds in the following ad-libs...
"For those people who have not been in a car in the last 30 years and seen a seat belt, here's how to put one on"
and (following the first part of the life vest verbiage)
"In case you thought ahead to bring a book as you were exiting the plane and jumping into the water, there is a light attached for you to read as it gets dark"

First post! Welcome to flyertalk!

johnathome May 16, 2012 6:28 pm

Last year on flight from Chicago to LGA, bad storms so plane parked on runway. Sit out there for good 1 hour. Pilot comes on and says they need additional fuel so going back to gate. So we taxi back to gate and then pilot announces that they were sorry but told that they were going to cancel the flight.

I'm guessing pilots were running out of room in terms of flight time but just guessing.

violist May 16, 2012 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by bilofsky (Post 18587803)

Originally Posted by cardinal98 (Post 18588616)
Sorry, not a "whopper." This is standard operating procedure with many of the GA today.

A whopper all the same.

ChipsAhoya May 16, 2012 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1 (Post 18553643)
(January 4, 2010)
Continental Airlines CEO Jeff Smisek told employees Monday that he won't accept his annual salary or bonus until the company is profitable for a full year.

(April 26 , 2012)
United Continental Holdings, Inc. reported a first-quarter 2012 net loss of $286 million or $0.87 loss per share, excluding $162 million of net special charges consisting primarily of integration-related costs. Including special charges, UAL reported a first-quarter 2012 net loss of $448 million or $1.36 loss per share.

Smisek's compensation package now totals $13.4 million annually...

Originally Posted by johnru36 (Post 18554000)
Stop the thread. You're the clear winner

^^^

Originally Posted by kmfdm91 (Post 18557988)
Winner, as others have said.

-jeremy

Looks like they've been profitable for two years:

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/9576/ual.png

CDKing May 16, 2012 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by mre5765 (Post 18581762)
I've been impressed that under the new United, gate assignments for my connections have all stuck.

That one shocked me too. 18 segments in the last several weeks and gate matched boarding passes, even those printed 24 hours earlier.

Originally Posted by smartinez (Post 18559897)
FA announced that they had a new system and could tell that there were exactly six people with their cell phones still on. I thought the whopper with the specific number was pretty clever!

Originally Posted by emanon256 (Post 18586430)
Upon taxiing to the runway in LGA on an LGA-DEN flight the plane stopped (as it often does during the 1 hour taxi) and the captain announced that their cell phone detection indicator showed that there were still 5 cell phones turned on and that they need to be turned off immediately. At the next stop he announced that there were still 3 cell phones turned on and that we could not take off until his detector indicated that all cell phones were off.

I've had the electronics sensor line on my last trip where crew turned it to a bigger joke about certain devices being much better than others. Its not a total outright lie though. Its not too hard for an observant FA walking up the aisle to count the number of devices they see in use. I've heard this on other carriers as well so its not just made up by UA/CO crew

desperationsearch May 16, 2012 10:15 pm

Frankly, I think the biggest whopper of late is when we board an aircraft with the death star on the tail and Jeffy on the welcome video and get told that it is "United Airlines". I flew on United Airlines, and this ain't it!

emanon256 May 17, 2012 5:44 am

Originally Posted by desperationsearch (Post 18590416)
Frankly, I think the biggest whopper of late is when we board an aircraft with the death star on the tail and Jeffy on the welcome video and get told that it is "United Airlines". I flew on United Airlines, and this ain't it!

This just reminded me of another huge whopper! It was a video when the merger began when Jeffy said, "There will be a lot of changes in the months ahead, that I think you're going to like."