Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Biggest Whopper you've heard from a UA Pilot, Flight Attendant, Gate or Ticket Agent?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Biggest Whopper you've heard from a UA Pilot, Flight Attendant, Gate or Ticket Agent?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2012, 4:43 pm

Last edited by United757; May 13, 2012 at 11:06 am
Old May 12, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
"we appreciate your business"
Old May 12, 2012, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA AU (ex 10+ year 1k) 1.5MM, AS Newbie, HH ex Dia
As you check your fillings

"After that nice landing, let me be the first to welcome you to Orange County..."
Old May 12, 2012, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by stephenbgarvan
In printed materials /emails of the time: "United will convert all TATL business class to lieflats by 2009""
And that was the justification for raising the miles required for upgrades
Old May 12, 2012, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10:18556413
Mostly in relation to turn around times. Flight xxx is supposed to come in at 2:30 now showing 3:05. Flight yyy using the same aircraft is supposed to leave at 3:15. I ask the agent what time our new departure time is going to be. "Oh there won't be a delay, we can turn it around fast". Yeah, right, especially when these were Ted 320s
This. I had incoming aircraft showing 1.5 hour delay killing any chance of making my connection. Arrival showed delay online, on flught stats, on flight aware, and on the video monitors. Outbound flight still showed on time departure. Reservations agents, check in desk agent, and gate agent all swore outbound flight would depart on time. I told check in agent to rebook me despite their insistence of an on time flight (on a flight that went west to connect to an east flight which she said was against the rules as mentioned up thread).
Old May 12, 2012, 9:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by mbluecpa
I probably hear a good handful of times a year from a FA on a delayed inbound flight to a hub something along the lines of "don't worry about connections, all flights are delayed," or a favorite, "they'll hold flights for connecting passengers."
Both of these are legitimate. I have flown in to hubs where virtually everything has been delayed. But yes, airlines will sometimes hold aircraft for connecting passengers. Depends on the circumstances and downline situation and impact.
Old May 12, 2012, 9:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by cruisr
I told him this is my first UA flt since the merger and CO always let me.
Probably the worst logic used by passengers. Many employees joke about the fact that many people when confronted by a rule, are simply responding with the fact that the rule has never been enforced on them before. Try that with a traffic cop and see what happens.
Old May 12, 2012, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA MP Premier Gold (Life), Hyatt Explorer, Various other hotel FS pgms
Originally Posted by smartinez
FA announced that they had a new system and could tell that there were exactly six people with their cell phones still on. I thought the whopper with the specific number was pretty clever!
Originally Posted by BearX220
I've heard that too and it's such nonsense it leads any smart passenger to deduce the FA is a lying, devious idiot, so you stop paying attention to anything else he/she says.
Reminds me of a time after landing when we were sitting, waiting to be marshalled into the gate. After sitting for a minute, the Captain makes the obligatory "we're not yet at the gate, so stay seated with your seat belts fastened" annc. Then another minute or two goes by and the FA makes her announcement, "I can see on my board that several people have their seat belts unbuckled. Please don't make me come back and ask you to buckle your seat belt." I think this was on a 737. Took me back to my days in kindergarten -- 50 years ago.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by stanscan
I think this was on a 737. Took me back to my days in kindergarten -- 50 years ago.
What takes you back to your pre-formative years is a rap on the knuckles with a ruler from the Good Sister, who could always read your mind!
Old May 13, 2012, 2:49 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hhonors Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by palmetto86
I've heard many GAs and FAs give variations of their own "security protocols" for flights into IAD/DCA:

"Because of increased security measures for flights into our Nation's Capital, we cannot ____________."

Some of the "new" protocols include:
- allow passengers to have more than one carry-on
- switch seats after the door closes
- move from economy to economy plus
- allow you to use electronic devices during taxi, takeoff, or landing
- store laptops in the seat-back pockets
My mom had three small bags and a pillow on a flight from PDX a couple of weeks ago traveling in F on a PMUA 757. GA: "The FAA forbids you to step into the jetway with more than two carryons!" My mom put the pillow and small purse into the other two bags. I guess if they had a bus it would've been allowed since it's a jetway issue!

NRT-LAX on ANA I was in the back half of Y. When boarding seemed complete, but the door was still open I asked the FA if the seat across the aisle would remain open (there was a pair of adjacent seats). Her response, "Well even if it was US customs law forbids you from switching seats." That was definitely a new one. I stormed to the purser who actually had to call a GA on and cross off my bp seat number with the new one. This was literally one seat over, not Y+ or anything!

Originally Posted by dsquared37

Two years ago the ticket agent in the LAX RCC:

"Sir, you're on an international V fare and that is not upgradable. Only Y,B,M and H fares are upgradable with systermwides."

After telling her to call and verify her info she eventually paged me back to the desk and applied the upgrade saying:

"This must be a new change because I've been here for [I forget] years and that's never been possible."

On yesterday's flight I caught Jeffie Jeff talking about a 'seamless IT experience'.
Two years ago I had to call web support to change my flight in a weather waiver and I couldn't believe the conversation went something like ithis Agent: "Only Y and H fares are permitted for upgrades." Me: "Well actually it is has been B fares since the fare restructuring several years ago, and M fares for plats, and any other revenue fare is eligible for regular EUAs." Agent: "Alright, I see your point about B fares, but we have never done complimentary upgrades for other fares."
Old May 13, 2012, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by JC5280
...airlines will sometimes hold aircraft for connecting passengers. Depends on the circumstances and downline situation and impact.
Yes, but FAs in the air never know for sure, and should never offer assurances -- which they do just to get fretting passengers to pipe down. By the time customers realize they were lied to inflight the FA is long gone.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:03 am
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Originally Posted by flying for gold elite
NRT-LAX on ANA I was in the back half of Y. When boarding seemed complete, but the door was still open I asked the FA if the seat across the aisle would remain open (there was a pair of adjacent seats). Her response, "Well even if it was US customs law forbids you from switching seats." That was definitely a new one. I stormed to the purser who actually had to call a GA on and cross off my bp seat number with the new one. This was literally one seat over, not Y+ or anything!
This was on ANA, but the thread is about UA. If anything, it shows that other airlines also have some employees who are misinformed.

Originally Posted by United757
Yesterday at IAD after multiple mechanicals, the FO said:

"Well folks, when it rains, it pours..."
How is that a whopper? That's actually what happened.

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
And that was the justification for raising the miles required for upgrades
Though it doesn't benefit me, the justification seems completely reasonable to me.

Originally Posted by JC5280
Probably the worst logic used by passengers. Many employees joke about the fact that many people when confronted by a rule, are simply responding with the fact that the rule has never been enforced on them before. Try that with a traffic cop and see what happens.
+1
Old May 14, 2012, 11:37 pm

Programs: United (2MM, Former 1K), Hilton (Gold), Marriott (Titanium))
Pilot Whopper About Aircraft Condition

During the “Summer From Hell” (was it 2000?) I was on a trip that required two UAL flights to get home. The first flight was completely smooth and uneventful. My connecting flight just happened to be on the same aircraft from the same gate. I waited at the gate between flights.

I was in 1st class on the 2nd flight and watched/listened as the pilots deliberately delayed the departure and killed about 90 minutes. Eventually the captain announced that the flight was cancelled because the aircraft, on its immediately prior incoming flight, had been in very severe turbulence and that FAA rules required that every inch of the airframe be carefully inspected before it would be allowed to fly again. United paid to put all of the passengers up that night.

Last edited by Colo1K; May 14, 2012 at 11:42 pm
Old May 15, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Connecting gate

After landing and taxing to the gate, FA giving usual spiel. Adds "If you are connecting to another United flight, check the departure monitors in the terminal for gate information. If you have a printed boarding pass, you don't have to check the monitors."

Old May 15, 2012, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by dorisrpas
After landing and taxing to the gate, FA giving usual spiel. Adds "If you are connecting to another United flight, check the departure monitors in the terminal for gate information. If you have a printed boarding pass, you don't have to to check the monitors."

I've been impressed that under the new United, gate assignments for my connections have all stuck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.