Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Biggest Whopper you've heard from a UA Pilot, Flight Attendant, Gate or Ticket Agent?

Biggest Whopper you've heard from a UA Pilot, Flight Attendant, Gate or Ticket Agent?

Old Jul 18, 19, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
UAX (ExpressJet) Flight Attendant today:

New FAA rule that when seated in the exit row, he needs to see each of the passengers physically hold the safety briefing card in their hand.

He was a real piece of work in every way....
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jul 18, 19, 6:02 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post

New FAA rule that when seated in the exit row, he needs to see each of the passengers physically hold the safety briefing card in their hand.

Maybe that's how we get to the high refusal to sit in the Exit row as claimed in the other thread today..........
DJ_Iceman, Silver Fox and Kacee like this.
Old Jul 18, 19, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post

I've been politely asked to take out the card to review it, which I didn't mind. I've never been told about a fake rule requiring me to do so.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jul 19, 19, 9:07 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Yesterday flew IAHSTL operated by Republic. Was feeling queasy and asked the FA for the entire can of ginger ale. She firmly said no, we aren't allowed to do that we don't have enough; asked if she could look up in F and she still said no. After beverage service came by with another cup of ginger ale.

Here's my beef with this....let's say there is only one can of beer left in the cart drawer. Had I paid for the can of Shinerbock beer would she have said no and poured only half of the beer into a cup? No, I would have received the entire can and if another passenger a few rows back asked for a Shinerbock, she would have informed them that they ran out. I get trying to service everyone with their first choice of beverage, and I wasn't demanding the last can of ginger ale, but using a little common sense its theoretical they could run out anyways at some point during the flight not sure why this was such an issue in the first place.
N104UA likes this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 5:06 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
Not fully a whopper but didnít know where else to post. Overheard today ex-DEN on an A320. In my fav seat, 1B. FAs did the PDB. Theyíre talking together and the guy FA is talking about his hot date with a guy named Tod. Later on this presumed gay FA asks the hot one If she liked working on the airbus. She goes ohmigosh airbus are my favorite theyíre so big. I literally started laughing so much that there was buffalo trace all over the bulkhead. She also immediately proceeded to turn a dark shade of burgundy 😂
onthesam likes this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was flying from LHR to LAX on Saturday and got upgraded to Polaris (Fauxlaris, a B789) about 15 minutes before boarding. I didnít need to buy food. Yippee!

When it was time for meal selection, I ordered the fish; however, once service started, I was told by the FA that because I had a special meal in coach, they had to serve that instead. Also, a lot of other people wanted the fish. They did give me a side of potatoes. So, my Fauxlaris experience was a coach meal (granted nicely unpacked and plated) with a side of spuds! I used a GPU; if Iíd paid to upgrade, I would have been really annoyed.

Is it true that if you order a special meal in coach, it has to be served in business? Itís never happened to me before.
Old Sep 10, 19, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan View Post
Is it true that if you order a special meal in coach, it has to be served in business? Itís never happened to me before.
Business should be catered independently such that you have a choice.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 10:31 am

Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Business should be catered independently such that you have a choice.
Even if the upgrade happened at the gate?

I ask as this may be me in a few weeks. Special meal ordered in Y and with a GPU applied to the flight. I would assume on a gate upgrade my Y meal request would stand else the airline has an extra meal that someone may not want/use.
Old Sep 10, 19, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Special meal from Y served in J - asking this out of curiosity:
if a special meal is ordered from a Y cabin, wouldn't it be desirable to have that meal served in J instead of a standard J offering? I assume there's no separate "J" special meal?
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
Even if the upgrade happened at the gate?

I ask as this may be me in a few weeks. Special meal ordered in Y and with a GPU applied to the flight. I would assume on a gate upgrade my Y meal request would stand else the airline has an extra meal that someone may not want/use.
They cater J based on the expected load; they don't wait to see which upgrades cleared. So there should be a J meal for every passenger.
ContinentalFan and atword like this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by narvik View Post
if a special meal is ordered from a Y cabin, wouldn't it be desirable to have that meal served in J instead of a standard J offering? I assume there's no separate "J" special meal?
I can imagine two scenarios where the J cabin meal would be the more desirable option, and there surely could be others:

1. The profile of the special meal (e.g. pescatarian) is matched by one of the J options. I believe that's what happened slightly upthread.

2. The special meal was ordered not for health or religious reasons, but to take advantage of the observations that special meals are usually served first, and are reputed to be higher quality than normal Y meals.

I don't think it's unreasonable to serve a passenger their Y special meal in J after an op-up as there isn't enough time for for the ground staff to adapt the catering.
Old Sep 10, 19, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by jpezaris View Post
I don't think it's unreasonable to serve a passenger their Y special meal in J after an op-up as there isn't enough time for for the ground staff to adapt the catering.
Think about the timing. They don't wait until upgrades have cleared to decide how many meals to load.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by narvik View Post
Depends on whether the special meal is preference or need I think. Sometimes I order AVML for variety in Y, but if I get the upgrade I would like the normal J meal.
narvik and Kacee like this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan View Post
I was flying from LHR to LAX on Saturday and got upgraded to Polaris (Fauxlaris, a B789) about 15 minutes before boarding. I didn’t need to buy food. Yippee!

When it was time for meal selection, I ordered the fish; however, once service started, I was told by the FA that because I had a special meal in coach, they had to serve that instead. Also, a lot of other people wanted the fish. They did give me a side of potatoes. So, my Fauxlaris experience was a coach meal (granted nicely unpacked and plated) with a side of spuds! I used a GPU; if I’d paid to upgrade, I would have been really annoyed.

Is it true that if you order a special meal in coach, it has to be served in business? It’s never happened to me before.
I bolded the issue for you - she outright lied and made up nonsense so she could give the fish to someone else and screw you out of the proper Polaris service, or what's left of said service these days. I would write this in to customer service, there is no such rule. A Polaris customer should not be served a coach meal under any circumstances unless they request it specifically.
chavala, canadiancow and Kacee like this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Depends on whether the special meal is preference or need I think. Sometimes I order AVML for variety in Y, but if I get the upgrade I would like the normal J meal.
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
I bolded the issue for you - she outright lied and made up nonsense so she could give the fish to someone else and screw you out of the proper Polaris service, or what's left of said service these days. I would write this in to customer service, there is no such rule. A Polaris customer should not be served a coach meal under any circumstances unless they request it specifically.
Originally Posted by jpezaris View Post
I can imagine two scenarios where the J cabin meal would be the more desirable option, and there surely could be others: <snip>.
Okay, that sounds reasonable.
But just to make sure I understand: a normal J meal ought to be provided if requested, but the previously chosen Y special meal could be requested, and it would be decently plated with possible addition of a side dish?
Doesn't sound too bad (unless of course, the FA lies about it!).

Search this Thread