Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Biggest Whopper you've heard from a UA Pilot, Flight Attendant, Gate or Ticket Agent?

Biggest Whopper you've heard from a UA Pilot, Flight Attendant, Gate or Ticket Agent?

Old Dec 26, 17, 1:51 am

Programs: UA 1K; AA Platinum; SPGold; GoldPoints Gold; most other FF programs...
On my recent fight from LAX-LHR in Polaris Business, when I asked a FA for a mattress pad and gel pillow, he said they only board those items for flights over 12 hours. I explained that was for Polaris pajamas, and all flights should have mattress pads and gel pillows. Sure enough they materialized!
Old Jan 13, 18, 10:15 am

from FA during IRROPS

'... by a United representative at our hub airport LAX ...'
Old Jan 13, 18, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
'... by a United representative at our hub airport LAX ...'
Whilst smaller than their other hubs, LAX is absolutely considered a hub. With ~50 destinations, 11 of them international, it's hard to disagree.
Old Jan 13, 18, 11:37 am

Programs: UA Global Services 2MM, SQ Kris Flyer, AAdvantage, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Premier Plat
A few months ago, in Polaris F LHR-ORD, I was the first person to board and was Snapping the F cabin when the flight attendant who was standing at the right front boarding galley entryway quickly approached me after I passed her on the way to 1K and saw me filming and reprimanded me with "You're not filming, are you? You know you can't do that, right?" To which I responded, "I'm almost certain the rule is you can't film cabin crew without their consent. I'm just filming an empty cabin." She replied: "No, you can't film the cabin, period!" Aside from not knowing her company's own policies, I thought it was an incredibly rude way to "greet" a premium-cabin customer. It turned out she was serving the Y cabin during the flight so I never got to see her again after I bothered to look up the rule on the website to confirm that what I thought was the rule was indeed correct. To be fair, this was only 5-6 months after Dao so maybe crew members were extra skittish about cameras. Still, very upsetting to me at the time to be chastized like that.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 13, 18, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by st530 View Post
A few months ago, in Polaris F LHR-ORD, I was the first person to board and was Snapping the F cabin when the flight attendant who was standing at the right front boarding galley entryway quickly approached me after I passed her on the way to 1K and saw me filming and reprimanded me with "You're not filming, are you? You know you can't do that, right?" To which I responded, "I'm almost certain the rule is you can't film cabin crew without their consent. I'm just filming an empty cabin." She replied: "No, you can't film the cabin, period!" Aside from not knowing her company's own policies, I thought it was an incredibly rude way to "greet" a premium-cabin customer. It turned out she was serving the Y cabin during the flight so I never got to see her again after I bothered to look up the rule on the website to confirm that what I thought was the rule was indeed correct. To be fair, this was only 5-6 months after Dao so maybe crew members were extra skittish about cameras. Still, very upsetting to me at the time to be chastized like that.
MatthewLAX got thrown off the aircraft in similar circumstances. Thrown Off a United Airlines Flight for Taking Pictures! - Live and Let's Fly
Old Jan 13, 18, 2:57 pm

Programs: United GS, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
MatthewLAX got thrown off the aircraft in similar circumstances. Thrown Off a United Airlines Flight for Taking Pictures! - Live and Let's Fly
That post by Matthew is nuts. I can’t believe that happened!!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 13, 18 at 6:40 pm Reason: language
Old Jan 13, 18, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by Chukiechz View Post
That post by Matthew is nuts. I can’t believe that happened!!
This behavior has been going on at UA for years, even before the merger. If you think that post is choice, there are even juicier examples - like the United member who was threatened by a FA because they had a photo of a 757 taking off as their screensaver, and the FA claimed it was a security risk Others were told they couldn't take photos out through the windows.

Some of these crew members are unfortunately just not right in the head. People take photos of seats, skies, scenery, clouds, food, friends, etc etc every day when traveling. If they didn't, Facebook and Instagram would only have photos of people's pets.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 13, 18 at 6:41 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Jan 13, 18, 5:08 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Chukiechz View Post

That post by Matthew is nuts. I canít believe that happened!!
Did you read the story (blog)

At least two or three posters who were on that flight in coach and Biz who confirmed that is what happened.
Old Jan 13, 18, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
This behavior has been going on at UA for years, even before the merger. If you think that post is choice, there are even juicier examples - like the United member who was threatened by a FA because they had a photo of a 757 taking off as their screensaver, and the FA claimed it was a security risk Others were told they couldn't take photos out through the windows.

Some of these crew members are unfortunately just not right in the head. People take photos of seats, skies, scenery, clouds, food, friends, etc etc every day when traveling. If they didn't, Facebook and Instagram would only have photos of people's pets.
I guess that itís a case of YMMV. Iíve never had an issue with camera use onboard. I carry a couple of DSLRs and lenses. Iíve even traded info with flight crew after a particularly interesting event such as catching STS 147 launching.
Old Jan 13, 18, 7:12 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk View Post

I guess that it’s a case of YMMV. I’ve never had an issue with camera use onboard.

This is NOT about cameras, but someone having a BAD day, and much like contract security "officers" (at concerts, events and such) feeling better after making someone else's day even worse.
Old Jan 13, 18, 8:08 pm

Programs: United GS, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EmailKid View Post
Did you read the story (blog)

At least two or three posters who were on that flight in coach and Biz who confirmed that is what happened.
yes, I read it. My statement was one of shock, not denial.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Jan 14, 18, 9:08 am

Programs: UA Plat Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond
Did he ever post what the final resolution with United was?
Old Jan 14, 18, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Originally Posted by Legend717 View Post
Where's the whopper?
Maintenance looked at the tire in accordance with approved tire inspection criteria and deemed it airworthy. That's both ethical and legal.
Then, they MEL'd the Static Wick. That's both ethical and legal.
Then you got to your destination basically on time.
Everyone wins.
P.S., I'm an airline mechanic, and that's exactly what I would have done.
Not a whopper, just extremely poor wording. I don't want to hear any pilot say things about an airplane like "it'll be good for a few more landings." Save that kind of flippant remark for your 1993 Ford Tempo's tires. I kinda want to hear that safety is at the top of everyone's priority stack.

Last edited by DenverBrian; Jan 15, 18 at 10:14 am
Old Jan 14, 18, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Are you are referring to my experience from 10 years ago? If so, you have a good memory!

FA Tells Me "Get Rid of That" (my computer wallpaper)

Last edited by Brick; Jan 14, 18 at 9:36 am Reason: Corrected typo
Old Jan 14, 18, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
Are you are referring to my experience from 10 years ago? If so, you have a good memory!

FA Tells Me "Get Rid of That" (my computer wallpaper)
That experience was pretty hard to forget

Search this Thread