Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Biggest Whopper you've heard from a UA Pilot, Flight Attendant, Gate or Ticket Agent?

Biggest Whopper you've heard from a UA Pilot, Flight Attendant, Gate or Ticket Agent?

Old Jul 20, 16, 9:55 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
"please remain seated while Captain Kangaroo taxis us safely to the gate"
Please take care retrieving bags from the overhead because after THAT landing they will have shifted.
Old Jul 20, 16, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
That same flight apparently had auto open for some of the bins, didn't realize Boeing offered that option, but the airplane I was on certainly had it!
Old Jul 20, 16, 10:38 am

"It wasn't the captain's fault and it wasn't the copilot's fault, it was the asphalt".

FAB

Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
Thanks for sharing the stories. Really interesting to hear things from another perspective. The longer I have been traipsing about the world in the air, the more intrigued I become with the nuances of airline ops.

Thanks for keeping things safe, regardless of how incredulous some passengers take the news.
It's really just selfishness on my part; If I keep myself safe, i'll keep everyone else on the plane safe also

FAB

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 20, 16 at 2:25 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 20, 16, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by freshairborne View Post
I got a little stink-eye for landing in DEN 20 minutes late tonight. People have no clue what dealing with nasty weather is like in front of the cockpit door.

3 more years....

FAB
The weather around my house early last evening was certainly ugly - about 20 miles due south of DEN. Glad I was at home watching the lightening and rain spectacle from the confines of my porch, not an airline seat.
Old Jul 20, 16, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by freshairborne View Post
It's really just selfishness on my part; If I keep myself safe, i'll keep everyone else on the plane safe also

FAB
What? The pilots actually want to get home safely too? Shocking.
Old Jul 20, 16, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
What? The pilots actually want to get home safely too? Shocking.
Yup. We want to get everywhere else we fly to safely, too

FAB
Old Jul 20, 16, 11:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by clubord View Post
I'll bite...

In BCN or MAD (don't remember). A bird strike on landing shattered the glass of the nose gear light, causing shards of glass to be exposed along with a few small pieces of bird. Discovered this on the preflight walk around.

Should be a quick fix, call Iberia have their mx clean off the broken glass so we can continue to the US. Ends up this particular lens was not differable, still not a big deal, 5 or 6 screws and a replacement lens. However, the "gatekeeper" of the parts department was currently running a 15k race in the city and unreachable. No one else had the authority to release the part at Iberia for us.

Three hours later we get word the guy finished the race and gave the thumbs up. 10 minutes after the part arrived it was installed and we were on our way.

True story...
Doesn't the gatekeeper have a boss? If the gatekeeper is off running a race, then isn't there another gatekeeper on duty? Things like this really annoy me. This is an excuse you'd hear at a small company, not a major airline.
Old Jul 21, 16, 6:10 am

Programs: UA Gold, low tier elite at several hotel programs named w/ made-up words
763 capt: "I am not allowed to turn on Channel 9 on international flights."
Old Jul 21, 16, 6:44 am

Gate agents last week told me my Premier status meant nothing and that I deserved no better than any other passenger...
Old Jul 21, 16, 7:34 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012 View Post
Doesn't the gatekeeper have a boss? If the gatekeeper is off running a race, then isn't there another gatekeeper on duty? Things like this really annoy me. This is an excuse you'd hear at a small company, not a major airline.
I agree with you 100%, but that wasn't the case that morning...

Last edited by clubord; Jul 21, 16 at 7:40 am
Old Jul 21, 16, 9:04 am

Programs: UA GS 1.25MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
Gate agents last week told me my Premier status meant nothing and that I deserved no better than any other passenger...
<face_palm> somehow this doesn't surprise me
Old Sep 18, 16, 9:15 am

Programs: UA PP, AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott LTPP, Avis President's Club
"please direct your attention to the flight attendants as we demo the saftey of this airbus 777"

This was on UA233 SFO-EWR on Sept 18.
Old Sep 28, 16, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K; AA Platinum; SPGold; GoldPoints Gold; most other FF programs...
No Wifi - Blame the government...

So I was on a domestic 787 flight today, and had a lot of important, time-sensitive work to do, and had booked this flight to ensure good satellite wifi connectivity.

After trying to connect for a half-hour, I stopped a FA and asked her about the wifi and if it was on and functioning, as I was having trouble connecting (and had the error message on my screen as I asked her).

She said, "We're flying over a lot of military bases today, so I've been told connectivity is going to be very limited..." and may drop out from time to time because of it. (Meanwhile, the only connectivity I did get gave me enough time to buy the pass, get charged, send one email before it conked out again).

I've taken this route plenty of times before and never had any issues, so I am chalking this one up to a "whooper" by a lazy FA who didn't want to deal with the issue at hand.
Old Sep 28, 16, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer View Post
So I was on a domestic 787 flight today, and had a lot of important, time-sensitive work to do, and had booked this flight to ensure good satellite wifi connectivity.

After trying to connect for a half-hour, I stopped a FA and asked her about the wifi and if it was on and functioning, as I was having trouble connecting (and had the error message on my screen as I asked her).

She said, "We're flying over a lot of military bases today, so I've been told connectivity is going to be very limited..." and may drop out from time to time because of it. (Meanwhile, the only connectivity I did get gave me enough time to buy the pass, get charged, send one email before it conked out again).

I've taken this route plenty of times before and never had any issues, so I am chalking this one up to a "whooper" by a lazy FA who didn't want to deal with the issue at hand.
A whooper? Maybe maybe not depending on your route:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/why...t-restrictions
Old Sep 28, 16, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K; AA Platinum; SPGold; GoldPoints Gold; most other FF programs...
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
A whooper? Maybe maybe not depending on your route:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/why...t-restrictions
That was the route, but that doesn't explain why it wasn't working right out of the gate once we crossed the 10,000 ft threshold, nor for the duration of the flight.

Additionally, like the notion of "hang up, call again", when I asked other FA's they were very friendly, checked the status and routinely checked in on me to see if it was working.

Search this Thread