Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Biggest Whopper you've heard from a UA Pilot, Flight Attendant, Gate or Ticket Agent?

Biggest Whopper you've heard from a UA Pilot, Flight Attendant, Gate or Ticket Agent?

Old Apr 3, 16, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
"There is no such thing as partner first class". ~A "1k" agent, while making a change to a reservation that has partner first class in it.
Old Apr 3, 16, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.4MM, MR/SPG LT Plat
On UA836 PVG-ORD yesterday with a crew that had been lazy/performed the minimum throughout the flight: "We are going to serve the arrival meal early - 2 hrs out - and conclude service asap as there are high winds in ORD and we are being instructed to be seated early". Sure enough, lights came on at T-2h in GF, got a rushed and bad (PVG catering) afternoon breakfast service, so the FAs got a self-provided 90 min break to end the flight with no more bev svc or anything --- and there was barely a bump on approach to ORD.
Old Apr 3, 16, 4:58 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by tcdtcd View Post
On UA836 PVG-ORD yesterday with a crew that had been lazy/performed the minimum throughout the flight: "We are going to serve the arrival meal early - 2 hrs out - and conclude service asap as there are high winds in ORD and we are being instructed to be seated early". Sure enough, lights came on at T-2h in GF, got a rushed and bad (PVG catering) afternoon breakfast service, so the FAs got a self-provided 90 min break to end the flight with no more bev svc or anything --- and there was barely a bump on approach to ORD.
Perhaps you should look at the news reports of the weather at ORD yesterday. Craziest I've ever seen in 45 years. Bright and warm 1 min, snowing whiteout 5 min later, lightening 5 min later, then repeat that cycle every 20 min for 5 hours straight. The winds were crazy, the pressure was low, the violent squalls kept coming and coming.

Quite the contrary to a whopper, the subject of this thread.

http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-we...oling-weather/

Last edited by fastair; Apr 3, 16 at 5:14 pm
Old Apr 3, 16, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
[boarding 747 upper deck with carry on]

FA: Sir, you're going to need to take that bag downstairs and place it in an overhead bin.

Me: May I place it in the closet behind the stairs?

FA: No, it's beyond capacity. Take it downstairs.

Me: [Having already looked around the corner into the storage area] There are only about 4 bags in there with plenty of space.

FA: [pointing to the jumpseat at the top of the stairs, in a ferocious bark] A flight attendant was crushed to death by bags last month and that is my seat!

Me: [retreating downstairs to keep this crazy one at bay] Really? I'm pretty sure I would have read about such a horrific death.

She knew she F'd up and after finding out my status was asking me to "not cause her any trouble after the flight" while refilling my wine glass.
Old Apr 3, 16, 5:19 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, DL Gold, AA Plat, UA Gold (1mm) SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, AVIS PC, National ExecElite
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy View Post
No current gate at ORD can accommodate the A380.
This should not be a an issue as United does not operate any A380s
Old Apr 3, 16, 5:28 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, DL Gold, AA Plat, UA Gold (1mm) SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, AVIS PC, National ExecElite
Was waiting in JAX for a flight to IAD. The inbound aircraft arrives, the pilot gets off and tells the gate agent that there is a major mechanical problem and it will be at least an hour delay. The mechanics arrive and work on the plane for an hour. The mechanics, pilots and gate agents convene at the podium. The mechanic tells the pilot and GA that the gonkulator (or whatever) cannot be repaired and they need to fly in a a new part - no way this plane leaves until the following day. After a quick conference and phone call to dispatch, the flight is cancelled - for weather. That was the last flight to IAD. They won´t put people up for the night and they won´t rebook on other airlines. Weather, they said. Everybody in the gate area knew that was complete BS. This was my last flight on United, hopefully forever.
Old Apr 3, 16, 5:32 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; United 1K (domestic). Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by rjburns View Post
Was waiting in JAX for a flight to IAD. The inbound aircraft arrives, the pilot gets off and tells the gate agent that there is a major mechanical problem and it will be at least an hour delay. The mechanics arrive and work on the plane for an hour. The mechanics, pilots and gate agents convene at the podium. Th mechanic tells everyone that the gonkulator (or whatever) cannot be repaired and they need to fly in a a new part - no way this plane leaves until the following day. After a quick conference and phone call to dispatch, the flight is cancelled - for weather. That was the last flight to IAD. They won´t put people up for the night and they won´t rebook on other airlines. Weather, they said. Everybody in the gate area knew that was complete BS. This was my last flight on United, hopefully forever.
JAX has some of the most abysmal UA customer service in the system -- the only time I've ever written to any company to complain about a specific, named, employee was due to some blatant lies and dismissive behavior during a similar IROPS situation. Fortunately reservations was able to get me rebooked on AA because I was getting no help from the "lady" at the podium....
Old Apr 3, 16, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.4MM, MR/SPG LT Plat
Well fastair, I stand corrected at least wrt the potential the FAs were asked to sit early. I enjoy and get much from your posts and trust your info.

While the pilots were truly professional throughout with the info they provided and a very smooth flight, I did (perhaps mistakenly) associate the FAs behavior throughout the rest of the flight (lazy) with the end of the flight.
Old Apr 3, 16, 7:12 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by tcdtcd View Post
Well fastair, I stand corrected at least wrt the potential the FAs were asked to sit early. I enjoy and get much from your posts and trust your info.

While the pilots were truly professional throughout with the info they provided and a very smooth flight, I did (perhaps mistakenly) associate the FAs behavior throughout the rest of the flight (lazy) with the end of the flight.
It's all good. But it was truly insane. My description is accurate. I felt like in one of those apocalypse movies where the weather goes from winter to summer and back, I've seen strange wx at ORD, but yesterday was the most bizarre in my days
Old Apr 3, 16, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA&Mariott Plat Prem.
3 Box booked by me were under the same PRN with me as primary.
All 3 should get premier access.

One happened to not get Premier access.
United check-in agent at IAH blamed TSA and said TSA is the one that handles premier access, we can't help you. She wasn't young, and her colleagues didn't even bother looking at her.
Old Apr 3, 16, 7:27 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; United 1K (domestic). Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by fastair View Post
It's all good. But it was truly insane. My description is accurate. I felt like in one of those apocalypse movies where the weather goes from winter to summer and back, I've seen strange wx at ORD, but yesterday was the most bizarre in my days
I flew NAS-ORD-CLE yesterday (and CLE-ORD-DEN-PHX today) and on the ORD-CLE segment we were chasing the weather East to Cleveland. In 25+ years of flying truly the most nervous I've been based on the ride. Landing in Cleveland I couldn't see the ground until about 30 seconds before landing and before that looking out the window just horizontal streaks of white. Once we stopped on the runway it looked like someone had put us in a snowglobe and shook it up. By the time I got to my car clear skies. 3/4 of the way home I saw thundersnow for the first time...Got home and clear skies again. Bizarre may be an understatement.
Old Apr 3, 16, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
JAX has some of the most abysmal UA customer service in the system -- the only time I've ever written to any company to complain about a specific, named, employee was due to some blatant lies and dismissive behavior during a similar IROPS situation. Fortunately reservations was able to get me rebooked on AA because I was getting no help from the "lady" at the podium....
I live in JAX and customer service here is hit and miss. That combined with the just as abysmal UX performance has made me switch to flying out of MCO.
Old Apr 3, 16, 8:59 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by fastair View Post
I've seen strange wx at ORD, but yesterday was the most bizarre in my days
For some reason I thought you were based at SFO.
Old Apr 3, 16, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
I live in JAX and customer service here is hit and miss. That combined with the just as abysmal UX performance has made me switch to flying out of MCO.
You my friend might be the most fiercely dedicated UA flyer yet. No way on earth I would drive from JAX to MCO to stick with UA, given the DL and AA alternatives.
Old Jun 6, 16, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Checking in for my 6 AM SEA-ORD at 730 PM the previous day at SEA, after connecting off a BR flight:

Agent: "You cannot check your bag now. We don't hold bags overnight. You must check it the day of your flight."

Me: "What if my flight were at 12:30 AM"

Agent: "Then it would be OK, but we don't hold bags overnight"

Me: "12:30 AM is OK, but 6:00 AM isn't? Is there a cutoff hour?"

Agent: "Sir, we don't hold bags overnight."

Instead of trying to decrypt her nonsense, I just walked over to the normal Y checkin, did self-checkin, and someone tagged my bag, no questions asked. I understand they don't get a lot of connecting traffic in SEA, so it was an uncommon situation for her. That doesn't prevent the agent from using her brain though. I mean, what if I had planned to sleep in the terminal, post-security?

In the end, she was right; they didn't hold my bags overnight. My bag made the 12:30 AM, and was in the cages at ORD when I got there.

Last edited by Boo_Radley; Jun 6, 16 at 9:07 pm

Search this Thread