Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Biggest Whopper you've heard from a UA Pilot, Flight Attendant, Gate or Ticket Agent?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Biggest Whopper you've heard from a UA Pilot, Flight Attendant, Gate or Ticket Agent?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
One time a UX pilot almost taxied onto an active runway at SAT. We had taxied for 10 minutes at SAT, which is very unusual (but I chalked it up to ATC changing the runway configuration at the last minute or something). Then, all of a sudden, we stopped abruptly. Two seconds later, an AA MD80 comes roaring past us, taking off on an active runway, literally right in front of us. Needless to say, the pilots did not open the door when we arrived at our destination.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
"Air Canada is terrible, they never pickup the phone" - UA Phone Agent
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by JHake10
They must have learned that from their big brother down south.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by LegalTender
"Starting next August, United Club admission will be limited to card holders holding same-day boarding passes on Star Alliance carriers." - LAX UC agent, December 13, 2015
Laugh now, but come Aug 18th, I predict at least one "Denied entry to UC on non* BP" thread.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
The maintenance issue has been resolved, and the mechanic is on his way to complete the paperwork -- it should be just five or ten minutes.

Two hours later.....
Old Dec 14, 2015, 7:58 pm

I can't even guess how many times I've been told something to the effect that whatever the problem is will be set right within a certain amount of time, then I pass it along in a PA, then it all goes sideways.

We're discouraged from making personal assessments on the PA, though I have a pretty good idea of when the info from above has any credibility, but I don't often share it with my passengers anymore.

if I do and I'm wrong, I find myself the subject of a post on this thread...If I don't, I'm the subject of one of the "they didn't tell us ANYTHING"-type threads.

The days when I'd have to ask myself "what are the chances they're going to believe me?" before I key the mic are...OVER.

Danged if ya do, danged it ya don't.

Only a few more years....

FAB
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:13 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by freshairborne
Only a few more years....
Wait, I though you guys LIKE flying .... oh wait, then there's the non flying stuff

Thanks for chiming in, but have to chime in with my most recent SFO-HKG, and THIS illustrates what frustrates so many of us here:

Plane has been sitting for hours, yet we are delayed by about half hour because TWO lavs are inop

I strongly suspect that checking lavs is NOT on pilot's pre flight check list (or do you have an indicator light in the cockpit ), so I'm NOT blaming pilots, just our frustration with UA. Though in all honesty, it is starting to feel a little better lately ^
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold
FA told my seat mate he was not allowed to serve a lime in his PDB Bloody Mary ex-HNL because the Department of Agriculture does not allow it. Seems to defy logic.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:47 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by FTstudent
FA told my seat mate he was not allowed to serve a lime in his PDB Bloody Mary ex-HNL because the Department of Agriculture does not allow it. Seems to defy logic.
I actually believe that one. Hawaii is pretty nuts about protecting its agriculture… making you go through extra customs-like checks to make sure you're not bringing in or out anything that could contaminate their crops.

I was recently on a TXL-EWR where they could not serve alcohol as PDB due to customs issues, so I had to wait until we were in the air for my champagne / buffalo trace.

Did you know bringing Oranges into California is illegal? http://priceonomics.com/why-cant-i-t...rough-customs/
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:49 pm

There's a Burger King on the United aircraft?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA Premier Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Dis, IHG Gold.
Last winter, upon arrival in ORD from BOS (both very cold places in the winter) on a 738, the F FA hands another two jackets, reads the tag and says "Row 5, A and B." The other turns, looks, blinks, turns to his colleague with a blank face, "there is no row 5." She starts, says "of course there is" while turning to look, and goes "huh. row 4 then." Cue me, in the first row of F snorting.
TBF, UA does/did have some 738s with 5 rows of F...
Old Dec 14, 2015, 9:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by SeoxyS
Did you know bringing Oranges into California is illegal?
You must be too young to remember the medfly outbreak.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 9:35 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by JShLin
UA does/did have some 738s with 5 rows of F...
Correct, though I suspect not anymore. It's been years since I've seen that animal
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:02 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by formeraa
One time a UX pilot almost taxied onto an active runway at SAT. We had taxied for 10 minutes at SAT, which is very unusual (but I chalked it up to ATC changing the runway configuration at the last minute or something). Then, all of a sudden, we stopped abruptly. Two seconds later, an AA MD80 comes roaring past us, taking off on an active runway, literally right in front of us. Needless to say, the pilots did not open the door when we arrived at our destination.
Did you cross the runway threshold?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by JHake10
Air China is terrible, they never pickup the phone" - UA Phone Agent

________ is terrible, they never pickup the phone" - UA Phone Agent

I've heard the same modified comment for a lot of airlines from the UA Phone Agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.