Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

suggestions on how to change/refund a ticket w/o paying $$$? (redeposit fee)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2012, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Anyone have any suggestions on how to change a ticket without getting hit with big $$$?

My mother-in-law is visiting from Germany and we want to push her return back a week so she can attend my son's basic training graduation.

She is booked on a K fare class ticket.

I called this morning but the charge was almost $600. Trying to avoid huge costs. She has no status and I don't yet until I get my status match from Delta.

Thanks,

Robert
Old May 9, 2012, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by rob0225
I called this morning but the charge was almost $600. Trying to avoid huge costs. She has no status and I don't yet until I get my status match from Delta.
The good news (FWIW) is that status has nothing to do with it - hers or yours.

The bad news is that the change fee is what it is. Usually $150 + any fare differential. No way around it that I know of.

Used to be that upfaring the ticket would eliminate change fees at pmUA, but those days are long since over.

Good luck.
Dave
Old May 9, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: Several dozen
Might look into alternative one-way tickets back using miles? Say on AA or other one-way reward ticket friendly carrier?

Originally Posted by rob0225
Anyone have any suggestions on how to change a ticket without getting hit with big $$$?

My mother-in-law is visiting from Germany and we want to push her return back a week so she can attend my son's basic training graduation.

She is booked on a K fare class ticket.

Thanks,

Robert
Old May 9, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bseller
Used to be that upfaring the ticket would eliminate change fees at pmUA, but those days are long since over.
Long since over except for the (unrelated to this thread) case where you keep flight dates the same and upfare to an instant-upgrade fare class (domestically). Edge case, but just wanted to point out that there are some rare instances where they are waived.
Old May 9, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, LH SEN
Wait until she has flown the outbound, then change the return -- in that case, if there is availability in K class on the new flight and the fare rules are being met (i.e. day of the week), you only need to pay the $250 change fee. No re-faring necessary. The website should be able to do it -- it did it for me a couple of weeks ago. If you reroute, there may be a difference in airport taxes.
Old May 9, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: *Gold / HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Nicholas
Wait until she has flown the outbound, then change the return -- in that case, if there is availability in K class on the new flight and the fare rules are being met (i.e. day of the week), you only need to pay the $250 change fee. No re-faring necessary. The website should be able to do it -- it did it for me a couple of weeks ago. If you reroute, there may be a difference in airport taxes.
Are you sure? There may not have been a fare difference and only the change fee as the flight you wanted on the different day may have been lower than the original ticketed flight. So only the change fee.
Old May 9, 2012, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Look at alternative dates for which the additional fare might not be as large. If you can find K class and the new dates do not violate fare rules (thirty day maximum stay here?), the cost should only be the change fee, probably $250. Otherwise, change the return date after the outbound has been flown.

However, if the ticket was purchased as Germany-USA-Germany, the fare codes and associated rules could be very different from what we are accustomed to. There are totally unrefundable and non changeable deep discount tickets exEurope. It might help if you were to examine the specific fare rules or perhaps call UA again and ask about rules, fees, and options.
Old May 15, 2012, 11:33 am

way to avoide 150 Redeposit Fee of UA miles

i need to cancel an award ticket and redeposit miles back to my account. is there a way to avoide paying $150 resepost fee?
Old May 15, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
If the flight isn't for a while, you could wait and see if there is a schedule change (if it's more than a few months out this is bound to happen), and then plead your case that the change is unacceptable.
Old May 15, 2012, 11:43 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by murphyUA
If the flight isn't for a while, you could wait and see if there is a schedule change (if it's more than a few months out this is bound to happen), and then plead your case that the change is unacceptable.
You can make it more likely by doing a free rescheduling to an itinerary with same origin and destination, but with tight connections and/or last flights of the day. Then, even a 20 minute change may force you onto another flight, resulting in the two-hour change in arrival or departure at which UA normally considers letting you cancel without fees.
Old May 15, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Have I missed the logic for *charging!!!* a fee to redeposit miles?
Old May 15, 2012, 11:51 am

i am explorer card member. does it help?
Old May 15, 2012, 11:53 am

one more thing to add. the flight is booked on QR using UA miles
Old May 15, 2012, 11:54 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by awesome75
i am explorer card member. does it help?
Sorry, don't think so.
Old May 15, 2012, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BH62
Have I missed the logic for *charging!!!* a fee to redeposit miles?
You're 1K. Exempt from all fees, included award redeposits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.