Wiki Posts
Search

YCA (Government Fares) Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA1K .455 MM, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by boss315
My tax dollars at work!
You can go look up the contract fares and see that you are getting a good deal, especially on international flights for your tax dollars. YCA is just gets last seat availability. All of us that earn status also save the government money on checked bag fees as well.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by halls120
Except that a YCA fare isn't purchased in order to give the traveler a personal benefit. It's purchased when the traveler needs flexibility. It sounds great on paper that feds should travel on penalty fares - until 2 or 3 schedule changes eat up the savings realized in buying the cheaper fare.

Most of the travel taken by our staff is short fuse - less than 72 hours notice. For them, there is almost never a CA fare available. I had a staff member stuck in Atlanta last week. The only reason he was able to get out after spending 24 extra hours than expected was because he had a refundable YCA fare, and was able to change from UA to DL and get out earlier than he would have otherwise been able to.
This seems to be a misunderstanding of the _CA fares. They have exactly the same change fees as a YCA fare, which is none, other than the cost of the travel agent. They are fully refundable and flexible. The only difference is there is a limited number of them on each flight. If a _CA fare is still available 3 days before the flight, then you should take it because it is less expensive. If you can't book until 72 hours out and the _CA fare is gone, there is nothing wrong or wasteful about booking the YCA fare. But YCA fares do not create any additional flexibility.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 8:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by drewguy
This seems to be a misunderstanding of the _CA fares. They have exactly the same change fees as a YCA fare, which is none, other than the cost of the travel agent. They are fully refundable and flexible. The only difference is there is a limited number of them on each flight. If a _CA fare is still available 3 days before the flight, then you should take it because it is less expensive. If you can't book until 72 hours out and the _CA fare is gone, there is nothing wrong or wasteful about booking the YCA fare. But YCA fares do not create any additional flexibility.
Sorry, I wasn't making myself clear. I know that CA fares are fully refundable. They just aren't always available. That leaves us with the choice of booking a YCA fare or a penalty fare. We have our travelers use penalty fares if they are sure their travel won't change - or if it does, that the savings won't be eaten up by change fees. If they are unsure, we have them book the YCA fare.

My attorneys that fly out for short notice court appearances always buy YCA fares because too many times, the judges change their schedule, and our traveler gets to stay an extra day. But when I'm flying to BKK or SIN for a week-long conference, I buy penalty fares, because the fare difference is big enough to cover a few schedule changes. Last year I had to fly to Africa. The YCA fare was $4000. The penalty fare was $2400, which is why I purchased the latter.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 7:43 am

Sorry, I wasn't making myself clear. I know that CA fares are fully refundable. They just aren't always available. That leaves us with the choice of booking a YCA fare or a penalty fare. We have our travelers use penalty fares if they are sure their travel won't change - or if it does, that the savings won't be eaten up by change fees. If they are unsure, we have them book the YCA fare.
Ahhh, okay. Our agency goes back and forth on whether/when to buy "penalty" (non-refundable) fares. Most recent conclusion has been penalty fares are rarely worth the savings when balanced with the potential costs.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, CC, AA, UA, WN
Newb questions here. If I book a UA TATL flight on UA metal, YCA fare, I can upgrade from Y to J for 15,000 miles each way, correct?

Would the same apply for SCA fares on UA TATL on UA metal?
Old Apr 7, 2015, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by DCAcubsfan
Newb questions here. If I book a UA TATL flight on UA metal, YCA fare, I can upgrade from Y to J for 15,000 miles each way, correct?
Should, barring availability.

Would the same apply for SCA fares on UA TATL on UA metal?
It'll be whatever the upgrade cost is from an S fare.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, CC, AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by Superguy
Should, barring availability.

It'll be whatever the upgrade cost is from an S fare.
Ahh, ok I see S fare in the upgrade chart. Much appreciated!
Old Apr 10, 2015, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCAcubsfan
Ahh, ok I see S fare in the upgrade chart. Much appreciated!
The _CA can largely be ignored because that donates that it's a contract fare. The actual fare bucket is the first letter. So a YCA books into Y, an HCA in H, etc.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Superguy
The _CA can largely be ignored because that donates that it's a contract fare. The actual fare bucket is the first letter. So a YCA books into Y, an HCA in H, etc.
No all government fares are _CA. Some are actually just a -CA fare, which booked into K for my upcoming TPAC. Fully refundable but not eligible for GPU, and earns a pittance of PQD.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:30 am

No all government fares are _CA. Some are actually just a -CA fare, which booked into K for my upcoming TPAC. Fully refundable but not eligible for GPU, and earns a pittance of PQD.
Maybe I misunderstood, but I think previous poster was not suggesting otherwise. _CA and -CA are the same thing, just a different display depending on your booking system. In either case, those fares will book into a fare class other than Y, quite often one of the "highly discounted" fare categories of for which upgrades are expensive or not available to use with GPUs (last year a number of international segments were booking into SCA - just below the W-fare cutoff for GPUs).
Old Apr 10, 2015, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
In either case, those fares will book into a fare class other than Y, quite often one of the "highly discounted" fare categories of for which upgrades are expensive or not available to use with GPUs (last year a number of international segments were booking into SCA - just below the W-fare cutoff for GPUs).
And increasingly, most all of my government travel is booking into sub-W care categories, which is good for the taxpayer and bad for my UG percentage.

But we will no doubt continue to see the "I'm losing my UG to govvies" complaints, even though things have changed.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And increasingly, most all of my government travel is booking into sub-W care categories, which is good for the taxpayer and bad for my UG percentage.

But we will no doubt continue to see the "I'm losing my UG to govvies" complaints, even though things have changed.
They can always fly out of BWI where that will be less of an issue.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Sorry to revive this thread!

I got one segment of the ticket on YCA fare issued today. I went to United.com and the instant upgrade did not appear. The only upgrade option is the CPU. Has anyone had the similar experience recently? Thanks.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
any updates/recent experiences on this? Just got a new job (WAS-based) that will have lots of int'l travel. AA EXP currently, just requaled, but I will have to fly routes where UA/*A is the contract carrier. Is it worth it to try and status match? Primary concern is ability to upgrade to J on long haul from a YCA fare.

Thanks
Old Oct 7, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1k, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PaceLaw2012
any updates/recent experiences on this? Just got a new job (WAS-based) that will have lots of int'l travel. AA EXP currently, just requaled, but I will have to fly routes where UA/*A is the contract carrier. Is it worth it to try and status match? Primary concern is ability to upgrade to J on long haul from a YCA fare.

Thanks
I can't comment on international upgrades myself...but as a domestic government traveler I have "full" 1k rights. I also have a very good friend who achieved GS status while working for the government.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.