YCA (Government Fares) Upgrades?

Old Jul 26, 2019, 10:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by drewguy
Do you upfare to Y or just W+? Does the ticket remain refundable or is it just converted to a ticket with the restrictions of the fare class you upfare to?
I've done both. Now that I no longer have instruments, I have to upfare to Y.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
Not sure if this is the place to post, so if it isn't, I apologize. I will be flying YYZ-BAH on a City Pair Program (CPP) ticket. Since there is no match, what are my options? After some investigation, I see there a lot of AA flights from North America (YYZ) to BAH , but they would most likely 2 stops. Can I request a routing using non contract carriers, ie. AC flying YYZ-DXB-BAH ? Would the fare have to align with YCA or CA rates ? Any information is greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 11:59 am

Are Government Y class Intl Fares Eligible for Y class Miles Upgrade to Business?

In the past, United Y class government tickets were eligible for normal Y class upgrades. Does anyone know if this is still true?
Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Still true. Enjoy.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, Supersonic (BA1Y, BA1223)
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
In the past, United Y class government tickets were eligible for normal Y class upgrades. Does anyone know if this is still true?
Last year, I had four CPUs on Y fares.
Worst part of the process is that they wont ticket until a couple days before travel, so there's never a good chance to even get paid upgrade (if CPU looks in doubt)
I'm on an M govt fare tomorrow and already had Instant Upgrade as well as on return.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 4:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
Originally Posted by huey_driver
...Worst part of the process is that they wont ticket until a couple days before travel, so there's never a good chance to even get paid upgrade (if CPU looks in doubt)...
Definitely still works for government YCA fares. Depending on individual departmental travel policies, the traveler might be able to request early ticketing once the travel is authorized. I usually have all of my reservations ticketed immediately after travel is authorized. YMMV.

-FlyerBeek
Old Mar 4, 2022, 11:57 pm

Thanks all! Much appreciated!

Originally Posted by huey_driver
Last year, I had four CPUs on Y fares.
Worst part of the process is that they wont ticket until a couple days before travel, so there's never a good chance to even get paid upgrade (if CPU looks in doubt)
I'm on an M govt fare tomorrow and already had Instant Upgrade as well as on return.
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Still true. Enjoy.
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Definitely still works for government YCA fares. Depending on individual departmental travel policies, the traveler might be able to request early ticketing once the travel is authorized. I usually have all of my reservations ticketed immediately after travel is authorized. YMMV.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 16, 2024, 4:16 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
I often travel on government fares, usually ticketed 3 to 5 days before. Often they are YCA. I have been putting pluspoints on these after ticketing with mixed success at best. What is the best strategy here as a 1K with more pluspoints than I know what to do with. Asking for earlier ticketing isn't an option. TIA
Old Jan 16, 2024, 4:53 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by mander
I often travel on government fares, usually ticketed 3 to 5 days before. Often they are YCA. I have been putting pluspoints on these after ticketing with mixed success at best. What is the best strategy here as a 1K with more pluspoints than I know what to do with. Asking for earlier ticketing isn't an option. TIA
if YCA is still eligible for Instant Upgrade, you should not be putting 1K pluspoints on it as they are pulling back your upgrade list position. Even if PZ is available, you still shouldn't apply pluspoints as PN will be available when PZ is available and you are able to clear into PN for free

so basically 1K pluspoints are useless on YCA fares??
Old Jan 16, 2024, 7:58 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mander
Never, ever use Pluspoints on YCA for CPU-eligible routes. My CPU rate has been high because of YCA instant upgrades.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Thanks for the quick responses! I will proceed accordingly.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by leftysauce

so basically 1K pluspoints are useless on YCA fares??
On CPU-eligible flights, correct.

On Polaris/international/non-CPU they are super useful. (Though if you have miles, they're probably better to use because there's no copay, and Plus points avoid that on fares M and below).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.