Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Denied entry into AC lounge - unable to validate * Gold status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied entry into AC lounge - unable to validate * Gold status

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by donho00

SO give the girl my Gold Elite Conti card-DENIED
I give her my One pass CC-DENIED
I give my first class boarding pass-DENIED!!!
Rightfully denied. You were not, as others noted, on a SAME DAY international flight.

he was NOT going to let me in. But then I showed him my boarding pass which was upgraded to business class and he said he can take this. They let me and my buddy in. I was fuming. The same guy finds me in the lounge and asks for my presidential card and he would investigate. He comes back and starts apologizing. and tells me he had them send out a lounge access for me. But he kept apologizing. I said to him "what?? Did you think my presidential card was a fake?? Just to get into your ...... lounge??
Initially rightfully denied then rightfully accepted.

How they know that you haven't, for example, cancelled your credit card? The only thing that validates your entrance is: Mileage Plus number and ID, which can be used to validate your United Club membership, United Club card, same-day international business class ticket, or same day international ticket coupled with *G frequent flyer card.

Really, you make it harder on the rest of us with all of this Do You Know Who I Am?? attitude when it is you that does not know the rules.
Old May 8, 2012, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lax2010
This swiping the card thing is airline dependent; not sure if it is really for charging. I remember one of the *A Gold lounges told me that the card is not necessary when I handed them my card and the boarding pass. It was either TG lounge in HKG or LH at IAD.

However, on the safe side, I always carry my 1K card.
Proceeding on the advice of one receptionist in one lounge that "a card is not necessary" is foolish. A lot of lounges around the world REQUIRE presentation of the qualifying card by the qualifying card holder.
Old May 8, 2012, 10:42 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Exclamation I Don't Get It???

To the Poster's point, it sucks that UA dropped the ball (now there's a shock) for not getting you your card sooner.

As to those that do not carry their *A FF & lounge cards...

Can you really be that much of an idiot!!! Why in God's Green Earth wouldn't you carry them on you when you travel???!!!
Old May 8, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
To the Poster's point, it sucks that UA dropped the ball (now there's a shock) for not getting you your card sooner.

As to those that do not carry their *A FF & lounge cards...

Can you really be that much of an idiot!!! Why in God's Green Earth wouldn't you carry them on you when you travel???!!!
Really now. I got the Presidential Plus card last fall. After repeated attempts, I've never received a United Club card. I also haven't seen my Premier card (I know, it's not Star Gold, but extrapolate a bit).

Most reasonable, sensible people expect those they deal with to be reasonable and sensible. Smart and/or caring is just a bonus. If you are carrying a boarding pass with your United # on it that says "Star Gold" it's just unreasonable for any employee of United or any Star Alliance airline to require anything more.
Old May 8, 2012, 10:54 am

Option to print membership card is temporarily unavailable
We have temporarily disabled the ability to print a membership card as we finalize our system migration.

If you have elite status in 2012, rest assured that you should receive your elite card and credentials this week, if you haven't already.
Old May 8, 2012, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by pinniped
Is this true even for a U.S. resident? Say I fly a simple LGA-DCA-MCI as an Aegean Gold (*G) on US metal with my Aegean number on the itinerary and printed on the BP. (For this purpose, assume I also carry the Aegean gold card with me.) Is that really good enough to get into the DCA US Airways lounge?
I did this on a few occasions when access with my UA was questionable (red eye connecting to intl in one case) and the agents accepted it in a visibly amused manner.
Old May 8, 2012, 7:04 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by 3card
Really now. I got the Presidential Plus card last fall. After repeated attempts, I've never received a United Club card. I also haven't seen my Premier card (I know, it's not Star Gold, but extrapolate a bit).

Most reasonable, sensible people expect those they deal with to be reasonable and sensible. Smart and/or caring is just a bonus. If you are carrying a boarding pass with your United # on it that says "Star Gold" it's just unreasonable for any employee of United or any Star Alliance airline to require anything more.
I would call and request it. Mine was not going to be sent. Until the manager of IAH called them. maybe just a glitch in the system, and I had no idea it was needed. So I never called.

Originally Posted by andrewwm
Rightfully denied. You were not, as others noted, on a SAME DAY international flight.

Initially rightfully denied then rightfully accepted.

How they know that you haven't, for example, cancelled your credit card? The only thing that validates your entrance is: Mileage Plus number and ID, which can be used to validate your United Club membership, United Club card, same-day international business class ticket, or same day international ticket coupled with *G frequent flyer card.

Really, you make it harder on the rest of us with all of this Do You Know Who I Am?? attitude when it is you that does not know the rules.
How do I make it harder for you??? Get off your high horse.
I was denied access and told with a Presidential Card I can get in. I get the Pres Card and was denied again. How does that affect YOUR lounge experience at all???
I admit I was not sure of the rules. That is why I am on here asking and sharing my experience.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 8, 2012 at 9:25 pm Reason: merge
Old May 8, 2012, 7:06 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by weero
Not my experience at all.

As I always get my UA card some 3 months late, I had to enter AC lounges upon numerous occasions without a valid 1K card.

Agents always accepted an up to date statement.
Surprising. I've seen this be a problem so many times.

Originally Posted by PTahCha
PMCO United Clubs still ask for a card - probably just out of habit.
PMUA clubs ask for them now too - now that the scanners have been turned off. The PMCO clubs ask for ID as well. Its idiotic.
Old May 12, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by N1120A
Surprising. I've seen this be a problem so many times...
As I said, I carry a current statement with me and I have of course the just expired 1K card at hand.
Old May 12, 2012, 10:51 am

Programs: UA GS/MM, MR PPE/LTG, ‎TSA Pre✓, NEXUS, APEC BTC, UKBF RT, CLEAR, DXB E-GATE

PMUA clubs ask for them now too - now that the scanners have been turned off. The PMCO clubs ask for ID as well. Its idiotic.
I have a lifetime membership to the United Club, I was a lifer via the legacy President's Club Lifetime membership I bought 11 years ago when it was 2000 bucks. Incidentally, my card no longer reads via a "swipe" and at the lounge in YYZ, the AC dragon tried to deny me entry because my "card wasn't valid." I said it is a lifetime pass, it is valid for the lifetime of CO/UA. They wouldn't have any of it, luckily I had my 1K card with me, and fed that to her...she seemed satiated at that point.

The Service business is a people business, and as customers we are at the mercy and whims of those in charge. You can argue, you can debate and rationalize with the powers at be, but in my experience, even if you escalate to mgmt. more times than often they support their staff even if the staff is wrong.
Old May 12, 2012, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by aacharya
3. You again, for not knowing you could print out the card online. It's noted
on the website. (Might've helped, but not sure).

Learn something every day. I didn't know you could do this. Not sure where it's noted, but it wasn't something I 'automatically' knew.

Cheers.
Old May 12, 2012, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Learn something every day. I didn't know you could do this. Not sure where it's noted, but it wasn't something I 'automatically' knew.

Cheers.
1. Login.
2. View Account Details.
3. Click on "Print Duplicate MileagePlus Card".
4. Print.
Old May 12, 2012, 1:37 pm
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Lounge access is different in all locations.

I was denied access to IAH. it was a 3 hour layover
I was flying to california to visit my parents and then from LAX was headed to Asia.

But I was staying at my parents house for a few days.

At that time I was Gold (continental)
But my flight to IAH and LAX were upgraded to first class/business class

SO give the girl my Gold Elite Conti card-DENIED
I give her my One pass CC-DENIED
I give my first class boarding pass-DENIED!!!

she asks me if I have a Presidential Card or a Amex Platinum. I say NO. She says sorry.

I was pissed. But I moved on.
I applied for a Presidential Card and a month later was back at IAH. This time it was NOT a domestic flight, but an international. I hand her the Presidential Card and guess what?? DENIED! Now I had it. I went off. Told her to call her supervisor. My buddy was saying lets just leave. I refused. Some manager or supervisor came down and I told him what happened last time and now I have the 400 a year Presidential card and I am still DENIED?????
He tells me I need a Lounge Access card to get in??? I said WHAT!!!!!??

he was NOT going to let me in. But then I showed him my boarding pass which was upgraded to business class and he said he can take this. They let me and my buddy in. I was fuming. The same guy finds me in the lounge and asks for my presidential card and he would investigate. He comes back and starts apologizing. and tells me he had them send out a lounge access for me. But he kept apologizing. I said to him "what?? Did you think my presidential card was a fake?? Just to get into your ...... lounge??

so now I have a Lounge Card and guess what?? Most of the time they NEVER swipe it? The never check in MNL. They never check in GUM. They never check in BKK.
They never check in ORD. they never check in NRT.
I could not get into the lounge at PHX recently, because it closes at 7PM!!!
But they always swipe in EWR and IAH!!!!

does anyone know exactly what the criteria is for Lounge Access??

I assume domestic flights are only with presidential card?? I am also now Platinum level. What does that get me Lounge-wise??

On international flights, first class tickets get automatic lounge access??
Does a steerage ticket and a platinum level get you in as well???
As far as I know the lounge card is good for most lounges worldwide??

By the way, the Lounge at NRT is the best I have been too, so far.
Good food, drinks, huge. Showers and nice bathrooms

The Thai Silk Lounge has decent food too, but is small
Instead of your DYKWIA rant, you could simply have looked up the lounge access policies on the UA website.

It takes two seconds to pull out the card and my driver's license, and it avoids unauthorized people from using the club's resources and reducing services for legitimate customers.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's idiotic. Are you asked for ID at other places, such as the bank? Do you have to display an ID at your workplace? It's not a big deal to show your ID for 2 seconds.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ain-about.html

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 13, 2012 at 12:03 am Reason: merge
Old May 12, 2012, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I would call and request it. Mine was not going to be sent. Until the manager of IAH called them. maybe just a glitch in the system, and I had no idea it was needed. So I never called.

I was denied access and told with a Presidential Card I can get in. I get the Pres Card and was denied again. How does that affect YOUR lounge experience at all???
I admit I was not sure of the rules. That is why I am on here asking and sharing my experience.
It makes it harder for us when folks who don't know what they're doing berate employees. We have to deal with them as well...and the more Elites who berate them, the more they think we're all like that.

It shows clear selfishness if one couldn't think of that on one' own.
Old May 12, 2012, 1:43 pm
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Originally Posted by aacharya
It makes it harder for us when folks who don't know what they're doing berate employees. We have to deal with them as well...and the more Elites who berate them, the more they think we're all like that.

It shows clear selfishness if one couldn't think of that on one' own.
+1

You need to read the rules before complaining to employees and to members of this board.

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Heaven forbid that they should let in the family of an Elite member to such a palace of luxury. Why, some people gift award trips to their families all the time... like once a year...
The point is that the lounges are part of the business. They are not there to be offered to people who aren't qualified to be there because of membership, status, or other access.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 13, 2012 at 12:03 am Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.