Wiki Posts
Search

RPUs still not clearing automatically

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2012, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, 1K
RPUs still not clearing automatically

An update on the RPU situation. I have a flight BOS-EWR-west-coast, with the EWR-west-coast segment upgraded at booking with an RPU. The leg BOS-EWR was waitlisted since R=RN=0 at that time. On Friday, that leg started showing R=RN=3 (the flight is in June, so this is not an artifact of being within the CPU window). Since this is a short flight, I decided to do a little experiment and wait for a few days to see if the system will catch up in one of its magical sweeps (I even waited over a Saturday night, just in case)..Nope. Availability stayed at R=3 and my upgrade stayed as "waitlisted". I finally called in today and had the agent manually force it (it took her a good 1/2 hour and a call to the IT people). She was very apologetic and nice through the entire process and at a loss to explain why the waitlisted upgrade did not clear. According to her, the pnr was flagged and sent to IT as "another one of those cases" for them to do a forensic analysis.

Moral: If you have a waitlisted upgrade and care about it, you still need to be proactive, periodically check for R space (or set EF for an alert) and then call. Ignore the advice of people that tell you to wait for a few days for the situation to resolve itself. This applies both to GPUs (had to do this in March) and RPUs.

Safe travels to all
Old May 6, 2012, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
I can relate ... just sent this note to 1KVoice:

"I am frustrated to have some across yet another example of the upgrade system not working properly.

As you can see, for the IAH-SNA (UA 338) flight below, 3 upgrade seats are available, as denoted by the R3/RN3 inventory. However, I am still waitlisted for the upgrade, even though I used a confirmed instrument, a Global Premier Upgrade. My upgrade should have already automatically cleared.

I just spent 30 minutes of my time on the phone to resolve the issue. Clearly, this gives 1K customers like me little faith in the accuracy and transparency of the upgrade system. What if I had not been diligent in checking my itinerary each day?

When will these continued issues be addressed? I do not feel like I should be required to babysit each of my reservations."
Old May 6, 2012, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Exclamation

Originally Posted by uyflyer
An update on the RPU situation. I have a flight BOS-EWR-west-coast, with the EWR-west-coast segment upgraded at booking with an RPU. The leg BOS-EWR was waitlisted since R=RN=0 at that time. On Friday, that leg started showing R=RN=3 (the flight is in June, so this is not an artifact of being within the CPU window). Since this is a short flight, I decided to do a little experiment and wait for a few days to see if the system will catch up in one of its magical sweeps (I even waited over a Saturday night, just in case)..Nope. Availability stayed at R=3 and my upgrade stayed as "waitlisted". I finally called in today and had the agent manually force it (it took her a good 1/2 hour and a call to the IT people). She was very apologetic and nice through the entire process and at a loss to explain why the waitlisted upgrade did not clear. According to her, the pnr was flagged and sent to IT as "another one of those cases" for them to do a forensic analysis.

Moral: If you have a waitlisted upgrade and care about it, you still need to be proactive, periodically check for R space (or set EF for an alert) and then call. Ignore the advice of people that tell you to wait for a few days for the situation to resolve itself. This applies both to GPUs (had to do this in March) and RPUs.

IAD-LAX waitlisted by RPU

R5 this morning

Called 1K, the agent couldn't do it.

So canceled the upgrade, and go online to sponsor upgrade again using RPU. The upgrade went through.

But the initial RPU is not back??

Agent said it takes 24 hours? I need to babysit? Maybe it will never get back? This SHARE system sucks.
Old May 6, 2012, 11:38 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I got an Expert Flyer alert this morning for EWR-PHX in June, which I've had waitlisted with RPU for a couple of months.

Figured I'd see if the "sweep" would work. Nope. I thought they processed at the flight's scheduled departure time?

Down to R1 (from R2 this morning), so rather than risk someone else applying a GPU/RPU/miles and taking the seat I'd been waitlisted for since early March, I called. Agent had to call her help desk to get the upgrade through; it took about 15 minutes.
Old May 6, 2012, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by exerda
Figured I'd see if the "sweep" would work. Nope. I thought they processed at the flight's scheduled departure time?
It's supposed to be. Maybe that's the part of the process that's broken.
-RM
Old May 6, 2012, 12:12 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
It's supposed to be. Maybe that's the part of the process that's broken.
-RM
I gave it three hours past that time and then called in. The agent seemed a bit flabbergasted that the system was so screwed up but said, "It's been doing that a lot lately."
Old May 6, 2012, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I had the same problem with an IAH-SAN. Waitlisted using a GPU.
The DCA-IAH was available when the GPU was applied.

But the IAH-SAN - open R1 and my waitlist did not clear.

On UA.com - the waitlist for the segment no longer showed waitlist like it had, but the upgrade had not cleared.

I called UA and got a supervisor (out of Chicago - a legacy UA agent). After about 1/2 hour - she worked and cleared.

I told her the waitlist no longer showed on UA.com but I hadn't cleared. I asked to speak to tech support (legacy CO tech support) but she couldn't get through. In the end she cleared it - and then of course R went from R1 to R0.

Had someone called in when R1 was showing they could have grapped the upgrade over my waitlist.

All this is really not satisfactory. I know there are glitches and eventually this will be resolved. BUT the best thing UA can do now for customer Satisfaction is SHUT DOWN TOD's.

Until UA does - I am flying AA.
Old May 6, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1MM
Originally Posted by kb1992
But the initial RPU is not back??

Agent said it takes 24 hours? I need to babysit? Maybe it will never get back? This SHARE system sucks.
Today I was told by 1K Res. that it could take up to a week to show up. She suggested I talk to MP support, who might be able to redeposit immediately. After being transferred and on hold for 30 mins, I hung up. Called back later, 30 mins hold, hung up. Called back later, 2 mins, got an agent, and she redeposited immediately.

When is UA going to realize that their crappy web / IT / SHARES system is not saving them anything when human agents have to deal with stuff like this all the time?
Old May 6, 2012, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
You must babysit your reservations if you want the perks you're supposed to be provided.

You have to call to get your RPU redeposited.
Old May 6, 2012, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AVIS President's Club
2 tickets bought on May 2nd (H outbound, V return) for a trip from PHX to GDN (Gadansk, POL) in early June. Routing is PHX-ORD-MUC-GDN and the reverse on the return. GPU applied less than 1 hour after ticket was issued. All segments were waitlisted (the hop from MUC to GDN is not eligible for upgrade) at the time of original request.

Due to everything I have read about integration mess on FT I start to check my Res. every day. Sure enough today, the last segment (ORD-PHX) on the return shows R3 and that segment is still listed as Waitlisted. I call in and agent states the computer is waiting for space to open up on the International segment. I tell her my understanding is that if R space opens up I should be able to clear that on any segment and ask her to force it. She has to call Support desk and it takes about 15 minutes but in the end she gets it done.

I know know that I have to check this at least everyday or pay for EF subscription. Maybe I will ask United to reimburse me for that?

United is going to lose my business after this trip until they fix this mess and offer some form of compensation for all the time I will be wasting babysitting my reservations that I use upgrade instruments on.

I can't understand how UA could not have spent more time testing the upgrade logic before the conversion? This is one of the most important perks that Elites use and one they rightly expect to function correctly.
Old May 6, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
LAX-JFK with +1 in June. Wait listed with RPU. EF alerted me to R>2 (actually R=8). System hadn't upgraded me so I called. First agent tried to clear it, called a supervisor and was told she couldn't do it and I had to wait for the sweep. While she acknowledged it was broken, she was told not to manually process the upgrade. I hung up, called back, and the next agent cleared the upgradeS in about 15 seconds.
Old May 6, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: Southwest A-list PREF, MR Plt Premier
Originally Posted by Modern 49er
Today I was told by 1K Res. that it could take up to a week to show up. She suggested I talk to MP support, who might be able to redeposit immediately. After being transferred and on hold for 30 mins, I hung up. Called back later, 30 mins hold, hung up. Called back later, 2 mins, got an agent, and she redeposited immediately.

When is UA going to realize that their crappy web / IT / SHARES system is not saving them anything when human agents have to deal with stuff like this all the time?
Is there a way to review past flights and if you used a RPU/GPU with it? I can see when a GPU was removed in the activity section of my account, but I can't see which flight it was applied to. I ask because I'm pretty sure I never had a GPU redeposited after it failed to clear.

Thanks!

P
Old May 6, 2012, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by The P
Is there a way to review past flights and if you used a RPU/GPU with it? I can see when a GPU was removed in the activity section of my account, but I can't see which flight it was applied to. I ask because I'm pretty sure I never had a GPU redeposited after it failed to clear.

Thanks!

P

No, we lost this functionality when they moved to CO's systems on 3/3.
Old May 6, 2012, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
THANK YOU-
Just looked at my wait listed flights and had one flight LAX-SYD which showed 2 R seats available. 35 minutes on the phone and now fixed.
Old May 6, 2012, 4:50 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by channa
No, we lost this functionality when they moved to CO's systems on 3/3.
How do we keep track, then? Manually, I guess. What if there is a discrepancy? How do I "prove" that an upgrade never cleared? I guess we need to keep all BPs even after they have posted credit.

LAX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.