Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RPUs still not clearing automatically

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2012, 5:33 am

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this RPU question. I am
flying SFO to MSP next week and coming back the following week.
I need afternoon flights in both directions so I am going through
Denver out bound but the DEN to MSP flight is an RJ so UDU
upgrade from SFO to DEN cleared. First I tried applying an RPU on the
return MSP to SFO direct flight, but the system said wait listed so I think
I pressed on the yes apply the RPU for a wait list. Except when
I looked a few days later, there was no evidence of it.

I have learned that I always need to call the 1K line now.
I called and the agent applied the RPU to the wait list, but the web
site said that I could upgrade for 15K miles. The agent said I should
just try to use the RPU. I have miles and can't use any or I will not make
1K this year. Would I have gotten an immedate upgrade if I had clicked
on the use miles?
Old May 14, 2012, 6:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.163 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by sjm0028
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this RPU question. I am
flying SFO to MSP next week and coming back the following week.
I need afternoon flights in both directions so I am going through
Denver out bound but the DEN to MSP flight is an RJ so UDU
upgrade from SFO to DEN cleared. First I tried applying an RPU on the
return MSP to SFO direct flight, but the system said wait listed so I think
I pressed on the yes apply the RPU for a wait list. Except when
I looked a few days later, there was no evidence of it.

I have learned that I always need to call the 1K line now.
I called and the agent applied the RPU to the wait list, but the web
site said that I could upgrade for 15K miles. The agent said I should
just try to use the RPU. I have miles and can't use any or I will not make
1K this year. Would I have gotten an immedate upgrade if I had clicked
on the use miles?
Miles & RPU use the same upgrade inventory so no difference there. And using miles to upgade would not have affected the PQMs you will earn for flying the route.
Old May 15, 2012, 3:37 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi exedra, For waitlists outside 24 hours to departure, there is actually no “sweep” at a flight’s scheduled departure time. Instead, the moment R becomes available, the next person on the waitlist should be cleared. So really, if you see R available on a flight, there should not be anyone on the waitlist for R.

Obviously, we’re seeing examples where this is not the case. When we see these on the weekend, it’s usually because the process that auto-clears waitlists is turned off when we are in the middle of a schedule change (which usually happens on the weekends). But, as soon as the schedule changes are complete, the process is turned back on – so historically, it’s always been quite seamless. We are trying to get to the bottom of why the auto-clear process is not resuming in all cases. Seeing R become available while customers remain on the waitlist for R is definitely not the end-state. We know this is important and have been researching this with high priority.

Shannon
Well, how does that explain the numerous times, noted on FT, where someone waitlisted with a GPU sees R inventory and calls to clear his wiaitlist? I did that last month...I do not think the system is "working" as UA Insider thinks.
Old May 15, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I can't speak to CPU eligible flights, but I had an RPU waitlisted PS itinerary which did not clear prior to 24 hours. I didn't check-in and when R>0 @21 hours I called and the agent was able to kerjigger it. I did not have to use a second RPU to clear it.
Old May 15, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
I had a flight last week -- was showing R8+ at T-96, T-72, T-48... Nothing cleared.
I sent a note to UAInsider about it, and while I didn't get a response, the upgrades magically cleared sometime around T-24.

There are still issues to iron out here...
Old May 16, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K/ 1MM, SPG Plat
1K line: "Ive never heard of that problem"

CR1s failed to clear despite R space being available.

5/16/12
Me: "Have you noticed this happening a lot?"
Res agent: "I've never heard of this problem before."

5/13/12

5/12/12

Have these people been living under a rock? Is this the new line re system problems: Outright denial...?
Either that or I'm worried that as a group (FT) and travellers in general aren't being vocal enough about these system problems....
Old May 16, 2012, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by uapremier
Either that or I'm worried that as a group (FT) and travellers in general aren't being vocal enough about these system problems....
Maybe they're hoping that with repetitive denials we will stop complaining. And still give them our business of course.
Old May 16, 2012, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...matically.html

I was told that they're working on it. I'm not holding my breath.
Old May 16, 2012, 7:45 pm

Programs: United Airlines
That's classic! How can they not know this is a disaster? I went thru SFO recently and the agent in the club was saying it happens all the time. She was really nice, but couldn't even change my seat let alone process an upgrade. They had two years to flush this out. Been a loyal UAL fan but they are forcing me towards AA.
Old May 16, 2012, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/ 1MM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by fadeforward
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...matically.html

I was told that they're working on it. I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks for the thread link. I'm aware of the problem. I've posted quite a bit on it. I started this thread because I'm unclear (and frankly stunned) that res agents don't seem to even be aware of the problem...
Old May 16, 2012, 7:57 pm

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
Thanks. I have been waitlisted for several weeks for a flight on Monday. I am a 1KMM. The website still shows uograde seats available. I will wait until tomorrow and then call and ask what the hell is going on. Last time I put regionals for an upgrade, it did not clear but they were offering to sale me on at the airport.
Old May 16, 2012, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Smeisk: "You are going to LOVE the changes"
Old May 17, 2012, 2:40 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Booked itinerary April 28, with all RPU segments cleared except one on a U fare which was waitlisted (flight is on May 24).

Yesterday received an Easy Update, headed United Airlines Waitlist Notification for Confirmation [6-character conf #]

Reads:

We're pleased to let you know that your request for an upgrade from X (XXX) to Y (YYY) has been confirmed. If you've requested an upgrade for another flight in this reservation, we will notify you separately if it is confirmed.

To review or change your seat assignments, please go to united.com. We hope you enjoy your flight and look forward to welcoming you aboard.

This seems to me like an indication that the system is getting better. And it's the first Easy Update I've had for a long time!

The downside is that the itinerary now says it has been modified and I have to call in so that the ticket can be reissued (i.e. they have to clean up the record), so there's still some way to go.
Old May 17, 2012, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Contrary to popular opinion in this thread you *can* actually use a waitlisted GPU to clear a flight into "R" that is within 24 hours. I just did it.

Waitlisted NRT-SEA. No "R" space ever opened because the flight was booked full. Today I checked in and the flight was booked to 39 out of 40 but R was zero. Checked in and I was #2 on the waitlist.

As I took the metro back to my hotel in Asia I got an alert from EF that R went to 1. I called UA and asked the agent to process my GPU because the flight was showing available. She did so with no problem. I'm confirmed and can check-in with the upgrade.

No additional GPU was taken from my account or required for this transaction. I was prepared to use a new one and then ask for the old one back but no need.

And I'm sorry to #1 on the list that I just jumped ahead of but it pays to keep on top of this. EF saves the day again!!!!

Edit: now I'm wondering if there's a problem. I can see my seat and my "R" class when I do OLCI but when I go to print my BP it says to "SEE AGENT" for seat assignment. My BP still shows me in United BusinessFirst "R" class. Hmmm....
-RM
Old May 17, 2012, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 1P
This seems to me like an indication that the system is getting better. And it's the first Easy Update I've had for a long time!
Nice that you got one - but for every one of these I've received, there are 10 other confirmable upgrade situations where I haven't. So still a very imperfect process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.