Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Award/Premiere Accelerator Rates [2012]

United Airlines Award/Premiere Accelerator Rates [2012]

Old May 6, 2012, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / IC RA/ Hilton Plat / Bonvoy Gold
I was seeing 2.8cpm/RDM, but others reported above that they were seeing as low as 2cpm/RDM on international partner itins.
Old May 6, 2012, 5:08 pm

I've had 1.9 cpm on international UA/partner award itineraries.
Old May 6, 2012, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JetAway
I've had 1.9 cpm on international UA/partner award itineraries.
was that recent? did you happen to see what the PQM rate was on that itin?
Old May 6, 2012, 5:19 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by redwoman
The flawed assumption is that the more miles one flies, the more profitable they are for the airline. This is not true, when we have the existence of mileage runners and when I have analyzed my own travel. UA makes much more profit off me when I fly SFO-LAX or SFO-SAN or even SFO-DEN or SFO-SEA instead of SFO-PHL or SFO-IAD (nonstop or connections make no difference on the transcons). The cpm I pay for RDMs and PQMs is much higher on those short routes. I pay a lot relative to how far I am transported and get very little in terms of RDM/PQMs on short routes. I suppose that miles may be easier to track than to calculate profit realized per passenger, so all airlines based their loyalty programs on miles flown, but i have never believed that more miles flown on ultracheap tickets = better customer.

The elite maximizer is still around because it is pure profit for UA. That customer didn't take up a seat to earn those PQMs; UA didn't have to burn jet fuel, pay baggage handlers, GAs, FAs etc. to deal with him. If you're the type of customer who buys PQMs, then you don't fly as much as someone who earns them by sitting in a seat. The Elite Maximizer person is not flying as much so by definition, he's not competing with you as much for upgrades.
I never looked at it this way and what you say sure makes sense. However, I would hope that "mileage runners" are the exception to the rule. I know allot of people do it but statisticly I would hope it still a small percentage

Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
I think it's just once before check-in (in My Itins) and once during check-in.

If you want to buy more than that, just do a dummy booking.
How would you do it with a dummy booking? The booking must be ticketed, correct? Are you saying you can do this with a refundable fare and then after buying the miles, just return the ticket? Is that kosher? I guess if that works you could also buy them before 24hours is up and still refund any tkt? Does that really work.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 6, 2012 at 5:36 pm Reason: merge
Old May 6, 2012, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by cobrax333
was that recent? did you happen to see what the PQM rate was on that itin?
June of this year (an upcoming flight booked in Feb.). PQM rate on all of my itineraries is 10 cpm. The RDM rate varies-2.8, 2.5, 2, 1.9 cpm. Domestic itineraries have the highest rate.
Old May 6, 2012, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Star Gold,Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
How would you do it with a dummy booking? The booking must be ticketed, correct? Are you saying you can do this with a refundable fare and then after buying the miles, just return the ticket? Is that kosher? I guess if that works you could also buy them before 24hours is up and still refund any tkt? Does that really work.
Yes, it works but not with a dummy booking. You really have to book, buy the Elite Maximizer, then refund the ticket. Obviously, you'll want to do it with a fully refundable ticket, such as a domestic Y, so that's it's foolproof.

People have posted in FT that they have done just that, and I don't think that UA cares; in fact, they probably love it. Again, those people just paid the airline not to fly; no fuel, no food, no staff time spent, nothing but pure profit. I haven't done it myself, but i think that your intin actually has to ticket in order for that window offering you miles to pop up.
Old May 6, 2012, 8:05 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Yes. You can book a ticket to anywhere (i.e, a "dummy" booking or a hypothetical booking), either on a refundable fare or even on a nonrefundable fare (if you remember to cancel it within the 24-hour refund window for "nonrefundable" fares!!), issue the ticket, buy the Elite Max, and then cancel and refund the ticket.
Old May 7, 2012, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
For the same reservation, I now have two offers at different prices at the same time. One at 2.5cpm for the reservation record and one at 2.9cpm when I try to do OLCI.
Old May 7, 2012, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL plat
Sorry for being new but are these generally worth buying? I'm particularly looking at rdms. Is the standard cutoff 3 cpm and anything below that is worth purchasing? A saver RT from NYC-europe hub is about $1100 in Y which is about 1.9 cpm for 60k miles so I guess that it would definitely be worth it if I wanted to plan a stopover or go to a non-hub city.
Old May 7, 2012, 8:11 pm

Strange happenings... The award accelerator rates have varied from 13 cents to 12 cents for the combined RDM and PQM on my reservations. Tonight one reservation jumped to 25 cents. The others are holding constant at 12 cents for the combined regular, plus qualifying mile.
Old May 7, 2012, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by bamboola
Strange happenings... The award accelerator rates have varied from 13 cents to 12 cents for the combined RDM and PQM on my reservations. Tonight one reservation jumped to 25 cents. The others are holding constant at 12 cents for the combined regular, plus qualifying mile.
Yes, it's acting up again. One of my itineraries gives me one rate before I log in with my FF number and then it changes to another, higher rate after I log in. In contrast, another international itinerary is offering me double the RDMs that it had offered before at 2.5 cpm, now at 2 cpm!! SHARES gremlins at work & play.
Old May 7, 2012, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
Actually, Elite Max miles do count for 1K status, as they always have, since the merger.
Is that confirmed ? I don't think I've ever seen it published one way or the other. Personally, since they're purchased, it would surprise me if they didn't count towards 1K. I think a lot of folks assumed they wouldn't count once it was announced that Flex PQMs (from the CO PPlus credit card) didn't ... but those aren't truly "purchased" PQMs.

So now it's EsquireFlyer. I was thinking of you the other day and wondering why I haven't seen any posts from you. I guess this answers my question
Old May 7, 2012, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by JetAway
June of this year (an upcoming flight booked in Feb.). PQM rate on all of my itineraries is 10 cpm. The RDM rate varies-2.8, 2.5, 2, 1.9 cpm. Domestic itineraries have the highest rate.
I'm seeing the exact same thing
I have one Iten that is interesting though
total return miles is 28K (SYD->OSL via SFO)
However its only offering me to buy either 50K miles for $1k or 75k miles for $1.5k (2cpm)
Old May 7, 2012, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by LordTentacle
I'm seeing the exact same thing
I have one Iten that is interesting though
total return miles is 28K (SYD->OSL via SFO)
However its only offering me to buy either 50K miles for $1k or 75k miles for $1.5k (2cpm)
That's a good deal for RDM purchase. Essentially, for $1.5 K you have enough miles for one way in First on any *A carrier from N. America to SE Asia.
Old May 7, 2012, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steve64
Is that confirmed ? I don't think I've ever seen it published one way or the other. Personally, since they're purchased, it would surprise me if they didn't count towards 1K. I think a lot of folks assumed they wouldn't count once it was announced that Flex PQMs (from the CO PPlus credit card) didn't ... but those aren't truly "purchased" PQMs.

So now it's EsquireFlyer. I was thinking of you the other day and wondering why I haven't seen any posts from you. I guess this answers my question
Maybe we can get some clarification from UA Insider, but I'm pretty sure the only limit he specifically stated was you couldnt use FEQMs over the 75k mark. I dont believe I ever saw him speak to the limit in regard to the accelerator.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.