Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Miles + $ CoPay Upgrade (refunded if no Polaris segments are upgraded)

Old Feb 17, 2015, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
From MileagePlus Upgrade Awards in the T&Cs

What is the refund policy for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards that do not clear the waitlist?If you request an upgrade using a MileagePlus Upgrade Award, and none of your travel segments are upgraded, then we will automatically redeposit your miles and co-pay. In most instances, a MileagePlus Upgrade Award will be considered used if any segment of your travel is upgraded. However, if your travel includes requested upgrades to United PolarisSM business class or United Polaris first class, and none of the international premium segments are upgraded, then your MileagePlus Upgrade Award will not be considered used, even if you are upgraded to United First® or United Business® on another segment. In these instances, we will fully redeposit your miles and co-pay. When applicable, these refunds will occur automatically seven to 10 days after travel.
The uncertainty on PS (previously considered BF) segments appears to have been address, as PS flights are not considered Polaris flights

Archive: UA Miles + $ CoPay Upgrade (refunded if no Polaris segments are upgraded) {Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Miles + $ CoPay Upgrade (refunded if no Polaris segments are upgraded)

Old Sep 9, 2022, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SSSSmiserable
I really don't care about seating for the first leg. If the second leg upgrade fails, would I get the entire expenses ($450 + 35K miles) back automatically? What happens to the first leg upgrade? Would united automatically put me back in economy plus? Or do I keep the upgrade? (that doesn't make sense as I would be getting a free upgrade from SEA->SFO?)
You will get the entire amount back and keep the free upgrade as a consolation prize.

If it isn't refunded automatically -- it's supposed to be, and usually is -- you can contact UA to get it refunded.

This is only the case because SFO-PVG is marketed as Polaris. For routes with no Polaris leg, any cleared segment counts as a successful upgrade and no refund would be due.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
You will get the entire amount back and keep the free upgrade as a consolation prize.

If it isn't refunded automatically -- it's supposed to be, and usually is -- you can contact UA to get it refunded.

This is only the case because SFO-PVG is marketed as Polaris. For routes with no Polaris leg, any cleared segment counts as a successful upgrade and no refund would be due.
“contact UA to get it refunded".. That's the hard part. Because I talked to like 3, 4 different UA reps, and each give me a different answer..

one even told me that if I dont' get the upgrade at the ticket counter in SEA, I have to call united reservation first to cancel the request and then do the check in.. I am like, what

Another one told me I would get refund, he just doesn't know how much...

unt.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 10, 2022 at 1:26 am
Old Sep 9, 2022, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SSSSmiserable
“contact UA to get it refunded".. That's the hard part. Because I talked to like 3, 4 different UA reps, and each give me a different answer..
If it doesn't happen automatically -- which, again, it's supposed to, so give it a week or so after travel -- request a refund online here: https://www.united.com/refunds

Here's the specific language (source). Underlining mine.

If you request an upgrade using a MileagePlus Upgrade Award, and none of your travel segments are upgraded, then we will automatically redeposit your miles and co-pay. In most instances, a MileagePlus Upgrade Award will be considered used if any segment of your travel is upgraded. However, if your travel includes requested upgrades to United Polaris®business class, and none of the international premium segments are upgraded, then your MileagePlus Upgrade Award will not be considered used, even if you are upgraded to United First® or United Business® on another segment. In these instances, we will fully redeposit your miles and co-pay. When applicable, these refunds will occur automatically seven to 10 days after travel.

If you're only moved to a United Premium Plus seat but requested an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin, we'll refund the full United Polaris business class cabin price and charge the United Premium Plus price.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 11:56 pm

thank you!
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 9:56 pm

I am UA Gold and I have an upcoming flight PDX-SFO-CDG in a week booked in premium economy. I paid $450+20k points to request an upgrade. Tonight, I used the browser date trick and see I'm #2 on the PDX-SF0 upgrade for 7 open seats so my upgrade will likely clear for this flight. My SFO-CDG flight I'm number 8 on the list for 2 open seats. 😢😭 So almost no chance this will clear.

What happens to my $450 and 20k points if only my PDX-SFO upgrade clears and not the international? How much will they refund?

At this point, it's < 2hour flight. I would rather get refunded not lose any of the dollars and points. Can I call and request they remove the upgrade request?

Thanks!!
Old Sep 10, 2022, 10:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
What happens to my $450 and 20k points if only my PDX-SFO upgrade clears and not the international? ...
You will get 100% refund of miles and copay PLUS you will get to keep the domestic upgraded segment (for free)

Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
.... Can I call and request they remove the upgrade request?...
Yes, you can but it is a bad idea. You have nothing to lose keeping it in place.
jsloan and DutchessPDX like this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 3:29 am

So that I'm 100% clear, if I don't clear the waitlist from FRA-DEN, I will keep the upgrade from DEN-IDA and be refunded the mileage and money. If it matters, I'm a Platinum Premier.

Old Nov 22, 2022, 5:22 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by jztelemark
So that I'm 100% clear, if I don't clear the waitlist from FRA-DEN, I will keep the upgrade from DEN-IDA and be refunded the mileage and money. If it matters, I'm a Platinum Premier.

Yes, you would get a refund of the copay and miles, since your over water segment did not clear. Good luck
Old Nov 22, 2022, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by jsloan

I have never had miles automatically refunded in these cases.

It's really frustrating that I have to call United to get miles back.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 9:57 am

Mileage waitlist upgrade refund

Hi,

I have an upcoming trip LAX -> FCO(Rome) with the stop at IAD. I can join waitlist for 15000 miles for both legs. It looks like IAD -> FCO is going to be impossible to upgrade. I wonder if I get upgrade for my first domestic leg and do not upgrade from international legs. Will I still be charged in full or refund partially?

Thanks
Old Mar 26, 2023, 9:58 am

Programs: UA1K
You will get a full refund if your international long haul segment is not upgraded
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
You will get a full refund if your international long haul segment is not upgraded

Thanks. I asked UA a few times and got different answer. I trusted flyertalk more than UA.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 12:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by slhu82
... I wonder if I get upgrade for my first domestic leg and do not upgrade from international legs. Will I still be charged in full or refund partially? ...
As mentioned it is a full refund id no Polaris segment clears but the reality is the most domestic transons are harder upgrades then international upgrades.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As mentioned it is a full refund id no Polaris segment clears but the reality is the most domestic transons are harder upgrades then international upgrades.

For domestic leg, it automatically request CPU as sliver. My ticket is Y fare. I could not see waitlist yet. I was hoping use mileage upgrade can give me better chance. the flight is on 3/30. domestic leg J3 JN3 C3 D2 Z1ZN1

internatioan leg J5 JN5 C3 Z2 ZN2 P1.

I guess you are right, not much difference.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
My girlfriend and me are on the same itinerary, but different tickets. Is there a way to link our mileage upgrade requests so it either approves both or neither? For both segments of the whole trip? (eg. for both AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC, either we both get upgraded for AAA-BBB and/or BBB-CCC or neither)

is it possible to pay for the co-pay using travel credit or travelbank money, or only card?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.