Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Miles + $ CoPay Upgrade (refunded if no Polaris segments are upgraded)

Old Feb 17, 2015, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
From MileagePlus Upgrade Awards in the T&Cs

What is the refund policy for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards that do not clear the waitlist?If you request an upgrade using a MileagePlus Upgrade Award, and none of your travel segments are upgraded, then we will automatically redeposit your miles and co-pay. In most instances, a MileagePlus Upgrade Award will be considered used if any segment of your travel is upgraded. However, if your travel includes requested upgrades to United PolarisSM business class or United Polaris first class, and none of the international premium segments are upgraded, then your MileagePlus Upgrade Award will not be considered used, even if you are upgraded to United First or United Business on another segment. In these instances, we will fully redeposit your miles and co-pay. When applicable, these refunds will occur automatically seven to 10 days after travel.
The uncertainty on PS (previously considered BF) segments appears to have been address, as PS flights are not considered Polaris flights

Archive: UA Miles + $ CoPay Upgrade (refunded if no Polaris segments are upgraded) {Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Miles + $ CoPay Upgrade (refunded if no Polaris segments are upgraded)

Old Mar 21, 2024, 1:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Sie625
... I'm only plat ... First question is since I am booked into B on the domestic legs, I can presumably instant upgrade into first if PN>0, even if I have to call (I know this is also being discussed on a recent YBM thread but thought this was more appropriate here) ...
post booking instant upgrades are not available to Plats (which need PZ at booking)

...would my miles upgrade offer still look the same, at 25k+$375? I'd be ok with that to upgrade to Polaris from PE, but I'm genuinely curious.
After a CPU on EWR-IAD-SFO, I was unable to apply a mileage upgrade to IAD-SFO. The only option was EWR-SFO and the CPU blocked the use of miles
Old Mar 22, 2024, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

would my miles upgrade offer still look the same, at 25k+$375? I'd be ok with that to upgrade to Polaris from PE, but I'm genuinely curious.
It wouldnt decrease, if thats what you mean. It might disappear.

Theres no reason for a Plat who is thinking about using miles + copay not to apply it to the entire itinerary. Youll get higher priority on ORD-IAH, and if it clears and IAH-SCL does not, youll get a full refund. Of course, its 99x more likely that IAH-SCL clears and ORD-IAH does not than vice-versa. . Theres no downside, as youre not eligible for PN anyway (as WineCountryUA mentioned) and the copay+miles depends upon the regions and fare class (PE), not the individual flights. In other words, youre not paying extra miles because you have an economy flight attached.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.