Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
How to upgrade a partner flight using UA MileagePlus miles:

See UA's Star Alliance Upgrade Awards Page

Key points:
  • Only a few fare classes (and expensive) are eligible -- depends on the carrier (see the UA page)
  • Needs to be native flight numbers, codeshares are not eligible
  • Generally no waitlisting but ANA allows waitlisting
  • Most can be requested after ticketing (NH/ANA & ET cannot be requested earlier than 8 weeks to departure -- still true??) and must be done at least 24 hours prior to departure
  • Max of 4 passengers can be upgraded
  • Generally the available of award space is a good indicator of upgrade space (but not guaranteed) - typically requires (I) inventory
  • Upgrade request can only be made electronically
  • Upgrade requests are per segment
  • It may increase your chance of success to request only one segment at a time on the upgrade page, even though it allows you to enter two (YMMV).
  • For mileage requirements, see Interactive travel destinations awards chart
As a general rule, with exceptions, SAUA need I space (for the partner) to have a chance of clearing.

See this thread for the no-longer-available award chart (disappeared from united.com as of October 2018): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...d-website.html

Error codes
  • "We were unable to complete your request due to a technical problem. In the U.S. and Canada call 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) within the U.S. or Canada, elsewhere use the local phone number. (Error code: 110).
  • "We were unable to complete your request due to a technical problem. In the U.S. and Canada call 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) within the U.S. or Canada, elsewhere use the local phone number. (Error code: 118)"
  • "The traveler has the same name as an existing traveler on this flight. Please contact the operating airline for the required information and try again. (Error code: 384)"
  • "Upgrade not available (Error code: 511)."
  • "The number of travelers indicated does not match the number of passengers in the reservation. Please correct your information and try again. (Error code: 528)"
  • "insufficient MileagePlus Balance (Error code: 2001)"
Mileage required? Capturing here the last known information, as information is disappearing, no guarantees how long this will be true

For UA operated flights see Using Miles to Upgrade on United

Archive; How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers {Archive}

Print Wikipost

How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2024, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I tried to upgrade a new BR ticket booked in B class - I did not receive the invalid booking class error, but I did receive the 'upgrade not available' error. Unfortunately the NH tool will not allow you to check availability or process an upgrade for anyone except the NH account holder, but I'm not going to transfer miles into my NH account and orphan them just to test.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I tried to upgrade a new BR ticket booked in B class - I did not receive the invalid booking class error, but I did receive the 'upgrade not available' error. Unfortunately the NH tool will not allow you to check availability or process an upgrade for anyone except the NH account holder, but I'm not going to transfer miles into my NH account and orphan them just to test.
Hmm that's interesting. Does that show in the rules/documentation somewhere? Because when applying for the upgrade, it does ask for name and which AMC account you want the points to come from.

I could test it later today, but I'd have to buy a test ticket

​​​
Old Apr 13, 2024, 12:14 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mang0
Hmm that's interesting. Does that show in the rules/documentation somewhere? Because when applying for the upgrade, it does ask for name and which AMC account you want the points to come from.

I could test it later today, but I'd have to buy a test ticket

​​​
I am not sure about the NH rules aside from not being able to use NH miles for anyone except the account owner and their immediate listed family. That could be the issue - the name on the AMC account is different from the account owner (I used a colleague's account) and the passenger is not one of the listed family members.

So it makes error checking the United SAUA tool difficult given AC no longer permits *A upgrades - not sure which other airlines have a working SAUA tool.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 12:25 pm

I am not sure about the NH rules aside from not being able to use NH miles for anyone except the account owner and their immediate listed family. That could be the issue - the name on the AMC account is different from the account owner (I used a colleague's account) and the passenger is not one of the listed family members.

So it makes error checking the United SAUA tool difficult given AC no longer permits *A upgrades - not sure which other airlines have a working SAUA tool.
Ah, I see. Just for the ability to check!

I'll probably check United's in another month or so.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 2:17 am

In my recent experience and cross check with other *A upgrade tools (NH, AV), I can stably repro that when there’s some SAUA visible availability on transpacific flight (Asia regional flight is fine), SAUA will report error code 2 “paid class ineligible to upgrade” and keep you on the same webpage (with some malformed JS functionality). That would temporarily hold the seat for 15 minutes as well.

When there is no SAUA visible seat, the website will report error code 511 “upgrade not available” and throw you to an empty error reporting page.

Leaving e-ticket number empty which would result in “duplicate name” error has been well-known so no elaboration.

I submitted the technical details to UA customer service but not sure if they can escalate it to the correct place given how they neglected the system...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by TrotylTN
In my recent experience and cross check with other *A upgrade tools (NH, AV), I can stably repro that when there’s some SAUA visible availability on transpacific flight (Asia regional flight is fine), SAUA will report error code 2 “paid class ineligible to upgrade” and keep you on the same webpage (with some malformed JS functionality). That would temporarily hold the seat for 15 minutes as well.

When there is no SAUA visible seat, the website will report error code 511 “upgrade not available” and throw you to an empty error reporting page.

Leaving e-ticket number empty which would result in “duplicate name” error has been well-known so no elaboration.

I submitted the technical details to UA customer service but not sure if they can escalate it to the correct place given how they neglected the system...
If you or anyone else has an open ticket with these errors please DM me a screenshot of the error including the full URL of the site, your ticketed airline, your PNR and name. I have a direct channel to support now and this is what they need to troubleshoot.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, TrotylTN and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 9:01 am

Programs: SQ Silver; HH Diamond; UA Premier Plat
Hi all,
I have used Star Alliance upgrade awards in the past on United, but when I navigate to MileagePlus Flight Upgrades | United Airlines, I can't find the link anywhere. I keep going around in circles, trying to find it. What am I missing? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 12:36 pm

Too few posts so was unable to attach external links. But if you google "loyalty partnerupgrades saua", the first result should be it.
CNJMichael likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by CNJMichael
Hi all,
I have used Star Alliance upgrade awards in the past on United, but when I navigate to MileagePlus Flight Upgrades | United Airlines, I can't find the link anywhere. I keep going around in circles, trying to find it. What am I missing? Thanks in advance for your help.
https://www.united.com/loyalty/partn.../ui/en/us/saua
CNJMichael likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.