Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers

How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 17, 19, 5:33 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
How to upgrade a partner flight using UA MP miles?
See UA's Star Alliance Upgrade Awards Key points
  • Only a few fare classes (and expensive) are eligible -- depends on the carrier
  • Needs to be native flight numbers, codeshares are not eligible
  • No waitlisting
  • Most can be requested after ticketing (NH/ANA & ET cannot be requested earlier than 8 weeks to departure) and must be done at least 24 hours prior to departure
  • Max of 4 passengers can be upgraded
  • Generally the available of award space is a good indicator of upgrade space (but not guaranteed) - typically requires (I) inventory
  • Upgrade request are made electronic
  • Upgrade requests are per segment
  • It may increase your chance of success to request only one segment at a time on the upgrade page, even though it allows you to enter two (YMMV).
  • For mileage requirements, see page 6 of Star Alliance Upgrade Awards chart.
See this thread for the no-longer-available award chart (disappeared from united.com as of October 2018): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...d-website.html

Error codes
  • "We were unable to complete your request due to a technical problem. In the U.S. and Canada call 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) within the U.S. or Canada, elsewhere use the local phone number. (Error code: 110).
  • "We were unable to complete your request due to a technical problem. In the U.S. and Canada call 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) within the U.S. or Canada, elsewhere use the local phone number. (Error code: 118)"
  • "The traveler has the same name as an existing traveler on this flight. Please contact the operating airline for the required information and try again. (Error code: 384)"
  • "Upgrade not available (Error code: 511)."
  • "The number of travelers indicated does not match the number of passengers in the reservation. Please correct your information and try again. (Error code: 528)"
  • "insufficient MileagePlus Balance (Error code: 2001)"
Mileage required? Capturing here the last known information, as information is disappearing, no guarantees how long this will be true

For UA operated flights see Using Miles to Upgrade on United
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 12, 15, 6:03 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
You cannot upgrade from those discount economy fare buckets.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/upgrade/saua.aspx
Old Jun 12, 15, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
upgrade help please

is the flight on United metal (plane) or Swiss metal? if it's on United metal, get the United PNR and log into Mileage Plus and they should have offers to upgrade with money or miles with money. if it's a Swiss plane, you might have to call and see what the upgrade price is. there might be a possibility that you could be offered a discounted upgrade during check in or at airport. but that is all dependent on what loads are on that flight and how generous Swiss ' s IT systems are. when you check into your Swiss miles and more account, there could also be an offer to upgrade with money. it's all speculation.
Old Jun 12, 15, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold
Swiss and UA will have different PNRs. As noted, you can (potentially) upgrade on those fares only if on UA metal. Star Alliance upgrades are rare and then only on certain expensive economy fares, and if upgrade space is available, which it usually isn't (I have never found it). But you can also upgrade on UA for miles only if R class is available, which it often is not, and if you waitlist online, it is just luck if any comes open. You can also monitor the price on Yapta and if the regular business fare drops at any point, you can just buy up for cash.
Old Jun 14, 15, 8:49 pm

Thank you to everyone who was able to give me some information. I guess I'll have to see what I can do from here.
Old Jun 15, 15, 1:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM, BA Blue, Wyndham Diamond
I want to upgrade Singapore Airlines LHR-SIN Business Class (D fare) to First class using United miles. Alll aircraft on this route are either A388 or B773ER. There is one drawback: for some reason, United will not allow upgrades on these two aircraft types! Is there any way around this or do I have to grin and bear it?
Old Jul 16, 15, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Blutak View Post
I want to upgrade Singapore Airlines LHR-SIN Business Class (D fare) to First class using United miles. Alll aircraft on this route are either A388 or B773ER. There is one drawback: for some reason, United will not allow upgrades on these two aircraft types! Is there any way around this or do I have to grin and bear it?
I have the same question - anyone?
Old Jul 16, 15, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Can a GPU be used on OS (part of Lufthansa group)? If so, does the ticket need to be a certain fare class (like Y/B)?
Old Jul 16, 15, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by 100% Green View Post
Can a GPU be used on OS (part of Lufthansa group)? If so, does the ticket need to be a certain fare class (like Y/B)?
Unfortunately, GPU can be used only on LH operated flights.
Old Jul 23, 15, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA-P, and Chase-ing the sapphire dragon
United Star Alliance Upgrade System Not working

Trying to get a SA upgrade on a BR flight, tried many times, it actually goes so far as saying it was successful and confirm the mileage deduction, at which point goes to a page saying systems error. Meanwhile the mileage was getting deducted in my account, but they were able to redeposit.

Tried calling MP (since they did away with their SAU line), and they experienced the same thing. One agent did tell me she was told the error has been there a while, the management knows about it, but hasn't spent the resources to fix.

Anyone have any experiences with this? Totally wrong to advertise this system when it doesn't work and have people spend extra $$ on full fare tickets.

Anyone know of any fixes?

Thanks!
Old Jul 24, 15, 9:23 am

Hi PST..

I am having the same problem as you but with Aeroplan (Air Canada) trying to upgrade a B class seat on EVA Air from Toronto (YYZ) to TPE. Today is Friday and I've been trying to get this upgrade since Monday with multiple calls but even the senior supervisors at Aeroplan have given up. They say it is a problem with the Star Alliance system and they can't fix it. Im a techie and know that "someone knows how to fix this" but no one wants to find that person. Our flight is on Wednesday (in 5 days).

Anyway... Here is what I have learned...

I purchased a B class ticket for three people YYZ-TPE-KUL outbound; SIN-TPE-YYZ return; I only want to upgrade the long haul segments (YYZ-TPE and TPE-YYZ). At first the flights were not upgradable because the error message "married segments".

I called EVA Air and they were kind enough to "divorce the segment" which normally that request should come from the Star Alliance partner who is trying to upgrade the segment.

Then that worked and I could see that there was upgrade availability from Economy-Business; so I selected the upgrade and receive a "general failure error 057.SAU" and it says to call technical support; but they don't know what that error means and only transfer you over to customer service; who have now given up.

I select the upgrade, it processes, it fails; my account transactions show mileage out and redeposited again. Aeroplan customer service says just try tomorrow. Great.. (sarcasm).

So I called EVA Air and the rep was kind enough to confirm that there are more than 4 SAU seats available (not only their InfinityMileageLands upgrades).

I even had my wife separated from the reservation so I could try upgrading only her and only one segment from YYZ-TPE. Same errors.

So yes the system is broken; the airlines keep passing us back and forth and still no one knows who to call to sort this out.

I'm still trying but thanks.. it was (somewhat) good to see that you are having the same issue on UA.

Good luck

Last edited by snolan02; Jul 24, 15 at 9:29 am
Old Jul 24, 15, 10:46 am

Good luck snolan! I'll post if I get any progress, please do the same - did the mileage redeposits happen automatically, or did you have to call an agent for that as well? I've literally spent over 8 hours on hold between being passed around.

Also trying to upgrade just the long legs, but abroad now, so I think all the LD calls will add up to a RL seat if I keep up the pace.

Good luck to you as well.

Anyone having this for any other airlines?
Old Jul 24, 15, 11:05 am

Hi PST.. yes I will update you if I get ant result and yes, the miles automatically redeposited without having to call Aeroplan's customer service.

TIP: If you have a smartphone (iPhone/Android) you might want to use a mobile calling app (like Skype or other) to make calls over WiFi to save on LD charges. Just a thought. Safe travels
Old Jul 24, 15, 6:50 pm

Hi snolan,
As of Friday morning, still the same....
Again, sounds like the airlines have known of this problem, and had another supervisor fill out another support ticket.
To add to "there's got to be a tech solution", it's an airline, there's also got to be a contingency plan since the show goes on....maddening/frustrating! Equally frustrating of the time it takes to explain this complex issue every call!

Also, try logging on here and filing something....I figure the more people that let them know, hopefully they'll do something about it. Also twitter *A, again lets try and build something here.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/conta...&subCategory=1

Cheers,
PST
Old Aug 20, 15, 6:14 am

Programs: Delta SM
How many miles needed to upgrade TK flight?

I'm going to be buying a cheap ($800~) ticket for TLV-ORD through IST for Christmas this year. Finding a lot of differing info about how much it'll be to upgrade with United miles from Economy to Business and was hoping some of you might be able to help sort that out for me.

Thanks!
Old Aug 20, 15, 7:35 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Le Club Accorhotels
Accor 25+ Badge 2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: TK*G, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Moved over to the good folks of the UA forum as it concerns UA miles.

starflyergold
TK M&S forum moderator

Search this Thread
Search Engine: