Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers

Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
How to upgrade a partner flight using UA MileagePlus miles:

See UA's Star Alliance Upgrade Awards Page

Key points:
  • Only a few fare classes (and expensive) are eligible -- depends on the carrier (see the UA page)
  • Needs to be native flight numbers, codeshares are not eligible
  • Generally no waitlisting but ANA allows waitlisting
  • Most can be requested after ticketing (NH/ANA & ET cannot be requested earlier than 8 weeks to departure -- still true??) and must be done at least 24 hours prior to departure
  • Max of 4 passengers can be upgraded
  • Generally the available of award space is a good indicator of upgrade space (but not guaranteed) - typically requires (I) inventory
  • Upgrade request can only be made electronically
  • Upgrade requests are per segment
  • It may increase your chance of success to request only one segment at a time on the upgrade page, even though it allows you to enter two (YMMV).
  • For mileage requirements, see Interactive travel destinations awards chart
As a general rule, with exceptions, SAUA need I space (for the partner) to have a chance of clearing.

See this thread for the no-longer-available award chart (disappeared from united.com as of October 2018): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...d-website.html

Error codes
  • "We were unable to complete your request due to a technical problem. In the U.S. and Canada call 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) within the U.S. or Canada, elsewhere use the local phone number. (Error code: 110).
  • "We were unable to complete your request due to a technical problem. In the U.S. and Canada call 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) within the U.S. or Canada, elsewhere use the local phone number. (Error code: 118)"
  • "The traveler has the same name as an existing traveler on this flight. Please contact the operating airline for the required information and try again. (Error code: 384)"
  • "Upgrade not available (Error code: 511)."
  • "The number of travelers indicated does not match the number of passengers in the reservation. Please correct your information and try again. (Error code: 528)"
  • "insufficient MileagePlus Balance (Error code: 2001)"
Mileage required? Capturing here the last known information, as information is disappearing, no guarantees how long this will be true

For UA operated flights see Using Miles to Upgrade on United

Archive; How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers {Archive}

Print Wikipost

How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers

Old Mar 7, 2024, 9:35 am

United revenue ticket, already flew first leg. If I switch the return to a lufthansa flight and upfare into U, can I call them and ask to change ticket to reflect LH number so I can apply 25,000 miles SAUA? Ty
Old Mar 7, 2024, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
You should request the LH prime flight number at the time of making the change, not after. If UA.com will only offer the flight using the UA codeshare number, call or DM to ask for the LH prime number, e.g., "I'd like to change the return to flight LHXXX in U class."
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 7:24 pm

Lightbulb Star Alliance upgrade - B class, no longer upgradable ?

Dear All,

I would really appreciate it if someone here could share their experiences or let me know if this error code has happened to you before.

I have used United to upgrade with EVA several times, and it has always worked flawlessly. I typically book a Class B with EVA and upgrade with UA miles through the "requesting Star Alliance" webpage.

My most recent upgrade was just three months ago in November 2023, and it worked successfully. However, this time, I encountered an error message that I am unable to resolve. The error code reads, "We cannot process your request. Your paid booking class is not eligible for upgrades."

I booked my flight with EVA in the B class, which, to the best of my knowledge, is an upgradable class (and last time, just a few months ago, it worked and was successfully upgraded).

I wonder if B class is no longer upgradable now in 2024, or if it is possible that it is still too early to request an upgrade for the November flight. I noted that most carriers may have requested the upgrade 331 days prior to departure, and I calculated the days from now until November 28th, 2024, which seems to fall within the range. If this is not the case, I would appreciate any information on the appropriate timeframe for making such requests. Do you know for flying with EVA or most flights when is the earliest time that an upgrade can be requested?

Thank you for your assistance and insights.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA
First of all, welcome to Flyertalk!

When did you try? The online web tool occasionally breaks and it might be worth trying again after waiting for a few days. As per the United SAUA documentation, EVA B class remains upgradeable.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 8:02 pm

Programs: United Plat
Originally Posted by kyle10070
Dear All,

I would really appreciate it if someone here could share their experiences or let me know if this error code has happened to you before.

I have used United to upgrade with EVA several times, and it has always worked flawlessly. I typically book a Class B with EVA and upgrade with UA miles through the "requesting Star Alliance" webpage.

My most recent upgrade was just three months ago in November 2023, and it worked successfully. However, this time, I encountered an error message that I am unable to resolve. The error code reads, "We cannot process your request. Your paid booking class is not eligible for upgrades."

I booked my flight with EVA in the B class, which, to the best of my knowledge, is an upgradable class (and last time, just a few months ago, it worked and was successfully upgraded).

I wonder if B class is no longer upgradable now in 2024, or if it is possible that it is still too early to request an upgrade for the November flight. I noted that most carriers may have requested the upgrade 331 days prior to departure, and I calculated the days from now until November 28th, 2024, which seems to fall within the range. If this is not the case, I would appreciate any information on the appropriate timeframe for making such requests. Do you know for flying with EVA or most flights when is the earliest time that an upgrade can be requested?

Thank you for your assistance and insights.
I am seeing the same issue starting February this year. I was even able to apply SAUA on a B-class EVA ticket with success in January. Please see my post on EVA forum (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/36034539-post499.html).

I used to call BR to find out if Z class seats were available. No longer. After reading some posts in EVA forum such as (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35973098-post483.html), I bet on flights with very open J seats by checking ExpertFlyer. It worked for me until February.

I see this problem may be only applied to segment between TPE and North America. I tried SAUA on EVA-operated TPE-HKG segment (Y class) and had no problem to see upgrade was possible.

Maybe the flight had no seats for SAUA. Maybe it was a new IT bug introduced in February.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 10:41 pm

Hello there ,thank you I have been trying everyday but so far same error comes, I guess it is the system breaks down and it is not fixed yet hopefully it can get fixed soon !

Hello Sfo3388 , have you get this error thing fixed ? I have been trying contact United but seems like nothing helped should I wait a few months and try again or should I just refund and go to United upgrade waitlist lol I really do not want to be jammed in economy for 14 hours ,hopefully this bug will be fixed soon !
thank you for replying !and the post you share it to me is very helpful ,I just read then all !

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 12, 2024 at 11:59 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 17, 2024, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

FWIW, it appears that fare classes M, A, H, and S are no longer upgradable using UA or non-TK *A miles.

It also appears that UA has redesigned the *A upgrade info page on its website, and in doing so omitted the fact (intentionally or not) that Y and B are upgradable on all airlines. The table lists additional upgradable fare classes by airline, and you can see that TK was in there with M, A, H, and S but is now down to just Y and B.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by kyle10070
Hello there ,thank you I have been trying everyday but so far same error comes, I guess it is the system breaks down and it is not fixed yet hopefully it can get fixed soon !

Hello Sfo3388 , have you get this error thing fixed ? I have been trying contact United but seems like nothing helped should I wait a few months and try again or should I just refund and go to United upgrade waitlist lol I really do not want to be jammed in economy for 14 hours ,hopefully this bug will be fixed soon !
thank you for replying !and the post you share it to me is very helpful ,I just read then all !
Please check the update (Star Alliance Upgrade Award | United Airlines).

B-class EVA ticket is no longer eligible for Star Alliance Upgrade. K class (the most expensive PE class) only.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by sfo3388
Please check the update (Star Alliance Upgrade Award | United Airlines).

B-class EVA ticket is no longer eligible for Star Alliance Upgrade. K class (the most expensive PE class) only.
This is a huge bummer. Been pulling back a lot of these lately. They changed Turkish Airlines upgradeable fare classes a few months ago, and now Eva.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 5:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Please check the update (Star Alliance Upgrade Award | United Airlines). ..
I think the table needs some work, There are carriers with some economy fares but Y&B are missing. The old table had a generic Y&B at the top but it is missing from the new table
TK is also restricting upgrades to just the top two economy fares.

Others have appeared to strip out lower fares.

It appears the partners are restricting this program.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

I'm almost certain this is not true, at least policy-wise. There used to be a statement saying that Y and B classes are upgradable on all *A airlines at the top of the table. The table merely lists additional fare classes that are upgradable on certain airlines. For example, it would be very strange if M and U (lower than Y and B) were upgradable on LH but not Y and B.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
I'm almost certain this is not true, at least policy-wise. There used to be a statement saying that Y and B classes are upgradable on all *A airlines at the top of the table. The table merely lists additional fare classes that are upgradable on certain airlines. For example, it would be very strange if M and U (lower than Y and B) were upgradable on LH but not Y and B.
Someone try it and let us know! :P
It is interesting though, because they specifically list Y/B in the table for Turkish Airlines. Rather than a generic blanket Y/B statement.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I think that's a holdover from when TK belonged in the table because M, A, H, and S were also upgradable. Now that those classes aren't upgradable, they should just delete TK from the table when they fix the website to add a blanket statement that Y and B are upgradable on all *A airlines.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
Can't speak for LH. I have been buying B-class EVA tickets and using UA miles to upgrade to J for years. Starting February this year, I no longer can do it. (Did it successfully in January.)

It is not just me. Please see post #330 and #333.

Under the new table, for most *A partners, you need to buy the most expensive PE ticket to upgrade to J.

Unless the table should have included Y/B eligibility and United IT interpreted the rule incorrectly, at least for EVA.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Unless the table should have included Y/B eligibility and United IT interpreted the rule incorrectly, at least for EVA.
This is the point I'm trying to make. There's no way M/U (which are cheaper than Y/B) are upgradable on LH/LX but Y/B are not.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.