Using united miles on TAM

Old May 2, 12, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Using united miles on TAM

It seems it is never available any more between New York and Sao Paulo in first? It used to be available last minute, but now never is. Does anyone else have the same problem with TAM?
Old May 2, 12, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Route has a ton of premium traffic on it, and not enough premium seats. PMCO seemed to sell out on it weeks in advance...not helping running a 762 on it at times (though now a 764). JJ A330 isn't the biggest plane either.
Old May 2, 12, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Do you have to call united to know about availability on tam? when i look online nothing ever shows. six months ago tam always showed online and there was availability nearly everyday direct or with a connection
Old May 2, 12, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I tend to use KVS or EF first ahead of the UAL site
Old Aug 24, 12, 9:33 am

Still possible to book TAM awards with United miles?

Looking to book an award to South America this thanksgiving on TAM, using United miles. Unfortunately searching through United doesn't show any award availability on TAM, on any dates. Is it still possible to use UA miles on TAM, or has that been pulled due to their pending transfer to OneWorld?

Specific flight I was looking at was the TAM JFK-GRU. Thanks for any help!
Old Aug 24, 12, 10:24 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
I took TAM last year in F & the cabin only had 4 seats 1-2-1. It was full as well so I imagine the reason they only have 4 seats is so they can sell them all & not have to offer op ups or awards. (hell, if they can't get just 4 pax willing to pay for SN A or F tkt on that route, they may as well scrub F. There were a few open C seats on that flight & I imagine awards are avail for C, just not F
Old Aug 24, 12, 3:21 pm

I thought TAM was out of the *A? I didn't think you could use points on them anymore...
Old Aug 24, 12, 3:27 pm

Programs: AS 100K
TAM is still in *A according to the *A website. It seems to be unclear as to when they'll make their move. I can't speak to mile redemption via UA...
Old Aug 24, 12, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by phranticaw View Post
I thought TAM was out of the *A? I didn't think you could use points on them anymore...
Since when? We have *A RTW in A class booked for Jan & have a JJ flight from GIG-EZE. (we just booked this trip last month)
Old Aug 24, 12, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by phranticaw View Post
Not at all.

They have to leave at some point in the next 22 months or so but they haven't announced yet when that will be or what the future will be when they do leave. But TAM is leaving Star Alliance. They don't have a choice in the matter since the merger with LAN closed.
Old Aug 24, 12, 7:46 pm

ooh. Good to know. You are right... Really limited award avail on JJ but I see I can still get to FOR afterall.

txs for the correction.
Old Aug 24, 12, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Not at all.

They have to leave at some point in the next 22 months or so but they haven't announced yet when that will be or what the future will be when they do leave. But TAM is leaving Star Alliance. They don't have a choice in the matter since the merger with LAN closed.
This is horrible news for *A. No major S American carrier as a member. Pretty sad considering VARIG was a founding member
Old Aug 24, 12, 9:40 pm

Programs: all
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
I tend to use KVS or EF first ahead of the UAL site

ANA Tool is very accurate for searching especially if you use segment by segment approach

Search this Thread