Wiki Posts
Search

Booking Intra-Japan Awards on united.com

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2012, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Booking Intra-Japan Awards on united.com

If I try to search for award availability on united.com for HND-KIX I get this message:
United does not offer service between Tokyo, Japan (HND - Haneda) and Osaka, Japan (KIX). Please modify your search criteria.
Yes of course UA doesn't, but NH does and I have no problem finding award availability on the Aeroplan or ANA web sites for this route. united.com does return NH award availability including those airports for other routes, for example HND-LAX or KIX-HKG, so it doesn't appear to be a problem with NH, HND, or KIX individually, but rather the three of them combined.

Is this a known issue with intra-Japan awards?
Old May 1, 2012, 9:16 pm
formerly RZachSmith

Seems to be a specific issue related to intra-Japan, although I have no prior experience to verify that. FWIW, I can get it to show me one option for most days on NH, however its routing KIX-PEK-HND, which I seriously doubt is the only real option.

I do not have this issue for intra-thailand or intra-germany travel (couple random tests), so that indicates to me it's a Japan issue. And since I can get it to show me the KIX-PEK-HND routing, my guess is that for some reason domestic NH award inventory hasn't been loaded properly.

I'm guessing you could do it if you called, but that comes with its own challenges/issues/costs. Maybe if you can book the KIX-PEK-HND routing online, then you can call within 24 hours and change it to direct and avoid the $25 fee?
Old May 1, 2012, 10:05 pm

Try to call them to see if they can see any availability. Because USAir can't find any flight operated by ANA's subsidary Air Japan, and I think that might be possible to UA too.
Old May 1, 2012, 10:10 pm

I've had to call United to get intra-Japan flights but they can be redeemed for sure.
Old May 1, 2012, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA/CO Silver
Maybe you should try HND-ITM instead. I think there are more flights to that airport
Old May 1, 2012, 11:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by BayAreaPilot
Is this a known issue with intra-Japan awards?
Yes - 0% success here.
Old May 2, 2012, 2:12 am

Since you are a 1K, just call united to book the award ticket. You should not be charged a phone fee, only a fee if the reservation is less than 2 weeks in advance.

I always do this and never had a problem. If they won't fly you into KIX from HND, try ITM.
Old May 2, 2012, 2:51 am

Programs: Virgin Aus Platinum; UA 1K; Sofitel Platinum (A-Club); Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold / Premium Club
Seems to be the same problem for ALL STAR FLIGHTS regardless of country when you don't book immediately before/after a UA segment. This is inclusive of revenue tickets as well - which means you can't book a stop over in many cases on fares that allow it! I have told UA this for almost 3 months with not a single reply!
Old May 2, 2012, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Well good to know I'm not the only one seeing this. Sure I can call, but now we're back to the good old days of using a non-UA tool to construct an itinerary and then calling and hoping you get an agent who will book it for you. One of the biggest touted customer-facing benefits of going with CO's system was the ability to book all *A awards online. I guess it's relatively minor compared to all of the other stuff that is screwed up in the post-3/3 world, but still disappointing.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 7:38 pm

I am not able to find NH KIX-HKG on united.com but it shows up on ana site. Is this not bookable using UA miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.