Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA versus AA...Observations and things to consider before leaving/joining

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA versus AA...Observations and things to consider before leaving/joining

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2012, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by shortkidd
So, what's the answer? Pray that at some point things will get better?
To the extent that it's possible for any given person/persons:

The answer is SIMPLE: fly AAnother airline.

Dave
Old Aug 14, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Don't forget you can also qualify on segments. 100 segments will get you EXP. Didn't UA recently raise their segments for 1K qualification to 120?
Correct. One of the other reasons I dropped UA. I flew 105 segments last year but failed to hit 1k thanks to the new policy that they changed midyear.
DL/US introduces the same policy (not as an one-time thing)
DL has been matching for a while. It's not a well known thing but they will do it. They aren't matching at the top level though (DM).
Old Aug 16, 2012, 5:41 pm
Used to be MJ-bos

Programs: AA ExecPlat, COdbaUA 1P & 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, Avis 1st
I'm at my 3-month AAniversary... and I couldn't be happier with my new AAirline.

I burned some UA points a few weeks ago, 2 FC tickets, and my partner even remarked "this isn't like it used to be ..." -- the FA overheard and chimed it "you got that right." From boarding scrum to dingy/dirty birds (757s with dark black marks all over the walls & ceiling and yellow-to-brown lights).

Today's AA experience ...

Storms in ORD caused havoc, AAngel in ATL was rebooking PAX on DL, US, even UA to get them where they were going - no drama, no thousands of keystrokes - efficient and with a smile. Bartender refused to let me wait for the quiche I ordered ... "oh no, darlin', I'm bringing that to you when it's done." This is pretty much emblematic of my AA encounters since leaving.

Later, on my flight, the wonderfully friendly FA was gently admonishing PAX to take their backpacks off to avoid banging people in the head ... drinks were served before takeoff ... meals were actually quite nice ...and the wines (red and white) weren't the Canyon Road $4/bottle variety.

It really has been three months of no drAAma, my expectations consistently being exceeded (maybe that's partly due to how much lower they have become over the last year), and my telling everyone I know and work with how AA is "flying like it used to be."

Seriously, no regrets here... I'm a UA MM so will keep UA as a backup, but with every wonderful AA experience, the possibility that I would come back to UA decreases.

-mj
Old Aug 17, 2012, 2:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K/2MM, Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime
Just flew AA for the first time as an EXP as they gave me the status last weekend and all I can is WOW!!!!!

I am amazed and questioned myself for the whole flight, "Why did I wait so long?"

I recognize not every airline is perfect. In fact, the GA at AA was a schmuck and ignored me like I was invisible but the on aircraft product was simply amazing....power at every seat...so I could work from ORD - LAX with no issues and WIFI to boot....I am not looking back....I am a 2MM at UA and looking forward to being done with my existing reservations.

Originally Posted by MJ-bos
I'm at my 3-month AAniversary... and I couldn't be happier with my new AAirline.

I burned some UA points a few weeks ago, 2 FC tickets, and my partner even remarked "this isn't like it used to be ..." -- the FA overheard and chimed it "you got that right." From boarding scrum to dingy/dirty birds (757s with dark black marks all over the walls & ceiling and yellow-to-brown lights).

Today's AA experience ...

Storms in ORD caused havoc, AAngel in ATL was rebooking PAX on DL, US, even UA to get them where they were going - no drama, no thousands of keystrokes - efficient and with a smile. Bartender refused to let me wait for the quiche I ordered ... "oh no, darlin', I'm bringing that to you when it's done." This is pretty much emblematic of my AA encounters since leaving.

Later, on my flight, the wonderfully friendly FA was gently admonishing PAX to take their backpacks off to avoid banging people in the head ... drinks were served before takeoff ... meals were actually quite nice ...and the wines (red and white) weren't the Canyon Road $4/bottle variety.

It really has been three months of no drAAma, my expectations consistently being exceeded (maybe that's partly due to how much lower they have become over the last year), and my telling everyone I know and work with how AA is "flying like it used to be."

Seriously, no regrets here... I'm a UA MM so will keep UA as a backup, but with every wonderful AA experience, the possibility that I would come back to UA decreases.

-mj
Old Aug 17, 2012, 2:53 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Welcome to the dAArk side, shortkidd!

Somebody should create FT accounts for the senior executives at UA and subscribe them to this thread. Watching the haemorrhaging of top FFers in real time is gripping and should be required reading for them all. Here's hoping it will contribute significantly towards saving AA as an independent carrier!
Old Aug 17, 2012, 4:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Welcome to the dAArk side, shortkidd!

Somebody should create FT accounts for the senior executives at UA and subscribe them to this thread. Watching the haemorrhaging of top FFers in real time is gripping and should be required reading for them all. Here's hoping it will contribute significantly towards saving AA as an independent carrier!
Woot woot!! Love it.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 4:52 am

One difference in award tickets is that United allows an international layover where AA only allows domestic layover on international award.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 6:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by Clarkcc1
Love it.
Know what I love? AA is still in such shambles (from labor contracts to a US merger) that once the UA merger issues are resolved everyone who jumped ship will be crying about how bad AA is. I'm going to drop by the AA board next year and see how it's working out for everyone.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 6:42 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Know what I love? AA is still in such shambles (from labor contracts to a US merger) that once the UA merger issues are resolved everyone who jumped ship will be crying about how bad AA is. I'm going to drop by the AA board next year and see how it's working out for everyone.
It's not quite clear from your post whether you'll be dropping by the AA board once the UA merger issues are resolved, or next year.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
The difference is that AA has long been more loyal-flier friendly than PMCO, the latter whose dominant policies (over PMUA) are now causing scores of loyal/profitable UA flyers to leave. So I'm not quite sure you can say AA is going to do a 180 next year.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Kind of amazing how an airline in "such shambles" can provide such superior service, huh?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
The difference is that AA has long been more loyal-flier friendly than PMCO, the latter whose dominant policies (over PMUA) are now causing scores of loyal/profitable UA flyers to leave. So I'm not quite sure you can say AA is going to do a 180 next year.
Sort of like UA? I don't think anyone can argue that UA treated 1Ks remarkably well (especially compared to GMs and other elites). If anyone had asked you 18 months ago, would you have predicted we would be where we are today?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
I don't think anyone can argue that UA treated 1Ks remarkably well (especially compared to GMs and other elites).
I have argued that. Will continue to argue it.
I flew as a 1K for over 20 years. Not sure where your pmUA experience is from.

Dave
Old Aug 17, 2012, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Sort of like UA? I don't think anyone can argue that UA treated 1Ks remarkably well (especially compared to GMs and other elites). If anyone had asked you 18 months ago, would you have predicted we would be where we are today?
I truly thought it would be more of a "merger of equals", instead of a PMCO my way or the highway approach that has resulted. I think it's inconceivable to just about anyone that this leadership team would go to the lengths it has, intentional or accidental, to try and cast off so many flyers.

That being said, you can argue US is more elite friendly than PMCO, and if Doug P takes the helm, you'd think has the wisdom to see what happens when the smaller company tries to force its values and policies on the larger company, and as well what happens when you alienate your best customers. Read: say goodbye to PRASM growth.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
Kind of amazing how an airline in "such shambles" can provide such superior service, huh?
For now. I'm glad people who left are getting "superior" service. I personally have been for the most part satisfied since 3/3. I enjoy my direct flights to 99% of the places I fly, great on board service and even above and beyond service from the legacy PC in FLL. I have seen the horror stories here and understand completely why some people have left. But just as each person's experiences are different and each person has to make the decision for themselves about staying or going, each person is entitled for their own rationale.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.