Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA versus AA...Observations and things to consider before leaving/joining

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA versus AA...Observations and things to consider before leaving/joining

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2012, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
I just found this out from another thread.

AA doesn't fly to BKK on its own metal so SWUs won't get you upgraded beyond NRT.

Maybe most of you are aware of this, but I was not, so I am reposting it here in case someone else didn't know.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by TomA
I just found this out from another thread.

AA doesn't fly to BKK on its own metal so SWUs won't get you upgraded beyond NRT.

Maybe most of you are aware of this, but I was not, so I am reposting it here in case someone else didn't know.
Yes, sadly, $mi$ek is right when he talks about "route network" in his videos. That said, if I can tough out a transcon in coach on UA, I will probably be able to tough out a similar flight in Asia on JL, especially if it means I saved $500 on not playing SWU roulette.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
Yes, sadly, $mi$ek is right when he talks about "route network" in his videos. That said, if I can tough out a transcon in coach on UA, I will probably be able to tough out a similar flight in Asia on JL, especially if it means I saved $500 on not playing SWU roulette.
Thats a 6 hour flight. And those JL seats feel teeny.

I haven't been in Y for years on a domestic UA flight. 1K ex-TPA always gets upgraded. Usually there is no one in F until the 96 hour window hits. So TPA-EWR/IAD/IAH/ORD-NRT-BKK I am 100% on all segments on SWUs. (That said, my BKK-NRT segment later this month isn't looking good with only 4 C seats left... )

Bottom line is... I think I will stick with UA and not consider this again unless AA gets a BKK flight. (And US isn't going to help much with that.)

Right now the TPA-BKK W fare differential in October is $250.

Last edited by TomA; Aug 2, 2012 at 8:03 am
Old Aug 6, 2012, 4:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by German Expat
AA has 2 forms of qualification, either via miles or elite qualifying points.
Don't forget you can also qualify on segments. 100 segments will get you EXP. Didn't UA recently raise their segments for 1K qualification to 120?

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
+ Check-in at Flagship Check-in at LHR is a nice exclusive experience. (Would be great if it had its own security queue like VS!)
Nice checking in here coming home from the Olympics yesterday as many of the AA flights were zeroed out and I expected horrendous lines inside the terminal. I was third in line with my party of five and was out of there in about 5 minutes.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 6, 2012 at 5:20 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Partner credits

All BA flights have posted like clockwork so far. I had one flight with soon-to-be ex-partner GOL that didn't. Made an online retrocredit request (yes, they still do those). No dice within 30 days, so I sent an e-mail message. Got a response by return:

First, allow me to thank you for being one of our valued Executive
Platinum® members. At AAdvantage® Customer Service, we are always glad
to hear from you.

I have posted the missing GOL segment you requested. Please allow up to
24 hours before viewing this adjustment online when you login to your
AAdvantage account.

I'm glad I could assist you in this matter. Have a tremendous week ahead
of you!
OK, it's even more gushing and over the top than the keenest 1K line operators of yore. But you know what? After six months of being ignored completely or "Buzz off, Sincerely, Mileage Plus", it's really refreshing!
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by German Expat
AA has 2 forms of qualification, either via miles or elite qualifying points. In order to get EXP you need to have either 100000 miles or 100000 points.
A mile is a mile in an airline seat (bis miles) and a points value depends on the type of fare bought.
The table for the fare is on the web site for e.g. American (can be different for partners).

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...s/american.jsp

Now simple example to see what the problem is if you can e.g. fly business overseas but economy domestic.

Lets say you fly 50k miles in Business class and 30k miles domestic in heavily discounted economy.

United Airlines : 50k *1.5 + 30 k = 105k and you are 1K

AA : Method 1 (miles) 50k + 30k = 80k and you are short for EXP
Method 2 (points) 50k*1.5 + 30k*0.5 = 90k and you are short again
Their buckets that earn a full 1.0 point per mile is probably equivalent to the minimum W fare class requirement for UA SWU. So AA makes it harder to qualify, but UA makes it harder to redeem.

Also bad for AA is that truly high spenders do not get priority upgrades over regular 100,000 folks - they're all in EXP. The guy who does 10+ trips annually in international paid C has the same upgrade priority as the guy next to him making EXP with 4 cents per mile mileage runs.

Originally Posted by AeroWesty
Let's put some numbers to these figures.

It's somewhat generally accepted that GS' need $50K/year of full-fare tickets to maintain status. Some spend more, obviously. But let's say that each 1K/GS in the mix is worth $50K/year for number's sake, since we also have to account for the revenue from the 10K non-1K/GS flyers who've moved.

5,000 x 60% x $50,000 = $150,000,000.

I wasn't too clear on if the 5,000 number was already whittled down in the 60% figure or not. If not:

5,000 x $50,000 = $250,000,000

Even if the total annual revenue from those who took the status match is half that, I'd still say handing out the free SWUs, cost of processing the matches plus follow-ups, lounge passes, GoGo certs, etc. was well worth it for AA. That's a lot of dough they would have otherwise left on the table. The minimum this status match effort has to be worth to AA is probably $100M/yr.
That's a big can of worms that AA has just opened. I'd envision all the major airlines eventually trying to do free matches for each other's elites (not just top tier), and waving any challenge requirement.

A pax can theoretically wave surf between the 4 legacies with minimum effort. The airlines would incur the cost of elites with the benefit to prior revenue, and thus forced to dilute their elite programs even further.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 13, 2012 at 1:52 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 13, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
All BA flights have posted like clockwork so far. I had one flight with soon-to-be ex-partner GOL that didn't. Made an online retrocredit request (yes, they still do those). No dice within 30 days, so I sent an e-mail message. Got a response by return:

OK, it's even more gushing and over the top than the keenest 1K line operators of yore. But you know what? After six months of being ignored completely or "Buzz off, Sincerely, Mileage Plus", it's really refreshing!
My experience as well...after nearly eight months of excellent service on AA(nearly 120K BIS including a lot of BA, CX and IB), everything has posted correctly. When I called last week to change a return flight from LHR from AA to BA, the agent made it a point to make sure that the miles would post to my account! I have flown UA about 30K this year, and have had problems with miles posting five different times...requiring well over two hours on the phone with MP having to "fight" to get my account straightened out. BTW, there are still two flights...both BOS-LAX that have not posted to my account from April...I am not holding my breath MP customer service used to be among the best in the business...sadly no more, not even close! Sad, Sad, Sad!
Old Aug 13, 2012, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by 787fan
That's a big can of worms that AA has just opened. I'd envision all the major airlines eventually trying to do free matches for each other's elites (not just top tier), and waving any challenge requirement.

A pax can theoretically wave surf between the 4 legacies with minimum effort. The airlines would incur the cost of elites with the benefit to prior revenue, and thus forced to dilute their elite programs even further.
I certainly don't imagine UA doing this, except possibly for GS-level spenders. UA management seems pretty indifferent to other elites, and is not exactly bending over backwards to avoid displeasing GS members these days.

As for diluting an FF program, UA is doing a fine job of this already.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by 787fan

But with only four legacy carriers surviving (for the moment), each FF only has three chances in a lifetime to match. Moreover, I would wager a bet that many, possibly the majority of FFers have no clue that this possibility exists. I certainly didn't until I discovered Flyertalk, and got a match from CO to UA 1P (when the sainted Gordon introduced 50% EQMs on all flights not booked directly with the airline). I had quite a few very good years with UA, but fat lot of good it's done me in the longer term.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
But with only four legacy carriers surviving (for the moment), each FF only has three chances in a lifetime to match.
Not necessarily.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I certainly don't imagine UA doing this, except possibly for GS-level spenders. UA management seems pretty indifferent to other elites, and is not exactly bending over backwards to avoid displeasing GS members these days.

You're assuming UA would entirely stand still. If AA makes it permanent and DL/US introduces the same policy (not as an one-time thing), UA has no choice but to respond.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K/2MM, Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime
+1 This was done by adding that stupid 75k level held over from pmCO.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
But with only four legacy carriers surviving (for the moment), each FF only has three chances in a lifetime to match. Moreover, I would wager a bet that many, possibly the majority of FFers have no clue that this possibility exists. I certainly didn't until I discovered Flyertalk, and got a match from CO to UA 1P (when the sainted Gordon introduced 50% EQMs on all flights not booked directly with the airline). I had quite a few very good years with UA, but fat lot of good it's done me in the longer term.
There are several other ways to do it..... It is not "Lifetime" anymore on at least 1 of the big 4...now phrased as "challenge once in a 5 year period".

BTW, you can, for example, match to AS and leverage the DL system through their partnership. Lots of creative ways to keep em competitive.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
IUA management seems pretty indifferent to other elites, and is not exactly bending over backwards to avoid displeasing GS members these days.
Of course they're not bending over. The CO folks running the show are familiar with pax who DONT HAVE A CHOICE.

It is this mindset which drives everything from SHARES, to customer service, to GAs/Fas, to IRROPS.

If someone here hasn't figured that out yet, may a Higher Power be their guide.

Dave
Old Aug 13, 2012, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K/2MM, Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime
Originally Posted by bseller
Of course they're not bending over. The CO folks running the show are familiar with pax who DONT HAVE A CHOICE.

It is this mindset which drives everything from SHARES, to customer service, to GAs/Fas, to IRROPS.

If someone here hasn't figured that out yet, may a Higher Power be their guide.

Dave
So, what's the answer? Pray that at some point things will get better?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.