Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Seeks to Reduce Leased Space at DEN

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2012, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
UA Seeks to Reduce Leased Space at DEN

Given the overall tone of the following article, I assume this isn't just referring to back-room space. Looks like UA wants to begin reducing its presence in DEN.

Can't say that I'm surprised...another $mi$ek decision that I'm sure I'll like.

I wonder to what extent UA is going to reduce its presence. Seems like a slippery slope to me.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...d-space-at-dia
Old Apr 28, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
That sucks. DEN is way better of an airport than IAH. Must more central for connection, newer, clean, easier to get around, etc. Sigh...every day I realize more and more United is the wrong airline.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1MM
I'm flying BWI-DEN-ABQ in October and had a schedule change about a week ago due to one of the BWI-DEN flights being eliminated. Then, today, another schedule change due to DEN-ABQ being cut. So...maybe DEN is getting hit.

And...why can't UA make those changes at the same time? Why make us deal with it twice in one week?
Old Apr 28, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by pinerd
That sucks. DEN is way better of an airport than IAH. Must more central for connection, newer, clean, easier to get around, etc. Sigh...every day I realize more and more United is the wrong airline.

What airline are you going to fly through DEN? WN?
Old Apr 28, 2012, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
We used to be able to fly UA...
Old Apr 28, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Man what anther cruddy cruddy descision from The folks from CAL. They gave the cold shoulder to Denver back when they moved to IAH, and it seems that, that mentality is still present.

Another fine example of the failure to compete with WN or anyone for that matter. Should have realized this when BOS-LaX got severely wounded.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 4:05 pm

Could this have anything to do with the exorbitant fees and charges that DEN charges UA?
Old Apr 28, 2012, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Actually, DEN's fees have become very competitive in recent years, which is why WN decided to enter and is now rapidly overtaking and expanding there.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I mostly travel between DEN-CHI and DEN-SMF. From DEN-CHI I can choose between 5 airlines for a nonstop flight! Even DEN-SMF has three choices for nonstops. UA is losing market share here big time and is often more expensive. The only thing that keeps me on UA is my ability to use my miles on *A partners.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 4:28 pm

Location: Sandpoint,Idaho- previously- Colorado, NYC, New England, SC
Programs: United Millionmiler 1/Star Alliance Gold, National Emerald Executive for Life, Best Western Platinum
Quoting:United —DIA's largest airline — leases 46 gates on Concourse B, plus ticket counter, lounge, ramp and baggage areas.

In January, the latest month available, United had a 41 percent domestic market share at DIA.
OK I recall when they had approx 70 % after DIA opened-whoa!! Unless this doesnt include United "Express" ?
Old Apr 28, 2012, 4:31 pm

Wasn't PMCO in another terminal? Maybe it has to do with their space there...

Also, I seem to remember that they have a bunch of space that's used by Frontier?
Old Apr 28, 2012, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by JC1120
Wasn't PMCO in another terminal? Maybe it has to do with their space there...

Also, I seem to remember that they have a bunch of space that's used by Frontier?
CO had a couple gates on Concourse A, which also holds AA, BA, B6, F9, LH, NK, etc

What space were you thinking that F9 is using?
Old Apr 28, 2012, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
CO had a couple gates on Concourse A, which also holds AA, BA, B6, F9, LH, NK, etc

What space were you thinking that F9 is using?
Apparently I remembered semi-correctly but the timing was off. According to the thread below, "Frontier leased their entire side of Concourse A from Continental, and in the late 1990s, Continental did not renew leases on most of the gates in Terminal A, so Frontier now owns their space outright, and the United gates were obtained in a swap with CO around 1999 or so."

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...ing-about.html
Old Apr 28, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by pinerd
Originally Posted by UAL4life
Man what anther cruddy cruddy descision from The folks from CAL. They gave the cold shoulder to Denver back when they moved to IAH, and it seems that, that mentality is still present.
The quality of the airport has little to do with its profitability. DEN is an expensive airport to operate from, generates minimal international traffic and is exposed to a great deal of competition.

UAL yanked a ton of capacity from DEN when the 737s were retired, leaving the door wide open for another carrier (WN) to set up shop. This is a continuation of a long-running UAL strategy to pull down DEN, which predated the merger by several years.

Of course, this is FT, so it's not even worth trying to inject reality into the discussion... much easier just to blame CO.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
The quality of the airport has little to do with its profitability. DEN is an expensive airport to operate from, generates minimal international traffic and is exposed to a great deal of competition.

UAL yanked a ton of capacity from DEN when the 737s were retired, leaving the door wide open for another carrier (WN) to set up shop. This is a continuation of a long-running UAL strategy to pull down DEN, which predated the merger by several years.

Of course, this is FT, so it's not even worth trying to inject reality into the discussion... much easier just to blame CO.
Well said ^

Regardless, hub closures are apart of the merger crazed industry. PIT and LAS for US, STL for AA, DL has reduced CVG and MEM. I would be foolish to think all of the current UA hubs would survive in their current state. FWIW, the future of CLE is on the fence as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.