Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Am I entitled to refund of the $139 E+ upgrade fee, if I got op-up to business class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I entitled to refund of the $139 E+ upgrade fee, if I got op-up to business class?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2012, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

I do very little flying on UA, so I'd appreciate some advice on this.

I bought a ticket for my grandmother. She and her friends were visiting Hong Kong for sightseeing/shopping....

The ticket was booked on united.com and the routing was ORD-SFO-NRT-HKG-NRT-ORD-EWR, all in coach. She was sitting with her friends on all the flights except the NRT-ORD.

On the NRT-SFO, I bought her a $139 Economy+ seat.(seat 45C on 747-400, which I believe was the best coach seat on the plane?) I didn't tell her that I had to pay extra for it... well... you know how old ladies get... so I told her there was a screw up and the UA website allowed me to book that seat for free. Yes, I know it sounds like when Jerry Seinfeld told his father that the expensive gift was "hot"(i.e. stolen) to please his father

Anyway... an hour before the NRT-ORD was boarding, the gate agent found her and gave her new boarding passes. She wasn't aware of it at the time, but she found out she got a free op-up to upper deck business class! She told me it was nice and I think the FAs might have even gave one too many free champagne. She claims that when she went downstairs during the flight, the coach section was only half full. If she was right, then I wonder why she got upgraded in the first place???

I called UA and asked if I was due a refund for the $139 fee... the agent flat out told me that I wasn't. Can this be right? I wouldn't have minded if UA has a clear written policy on this isseu... UA's website only said that if you're re-seated in a non-Economy-Plus seat for operational reasons(i.e. plane subsitutuion), you'll get the fee back...

*Update: issue resolved, please see post #65

Last edited by MissyH; May 7, 2012 at 11:37 am
Old Apr 27, 2012, 7:14 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
You should be satisfied that she received the op-up. Since she wasn't reseated in an inferior cabin, you aren't due any compensation. Case closed.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 14940674
You should be satisfied that she received the op-up. Since she wasn't reseated in an inferior cabin, you aren't due any compensation. Case closed.
Agreed. Seriously, this is just ridiculous.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I would pursue it. Only because of the ill-will United has generated in the past 8 weeks.

You have a shaky leg to stand on. But it's a leg nonetheless. If you read the rule literally, you get a refund if not seated in E+. Well, she wasn't seated in E+. Refund please!

I would try to stick it to them. At a minimum, you'll waste their time, and best case, you may get the $139 back.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 7:26 pm
formerly gohima

You want money back because she flew in a better cabin than she was ticketed?!?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 7:28 pm

Seriously?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 7:38 pm

Programs: United 1K ; Marriott Titanium (Lifetime)
Remember, they offered you the op-up. You could have politely declined and decided to stay in coach. The op-up was a courtesy. I would not expect a refund.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: Star Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
Agreed. Seriously, this is just ridiculous.
Yeah, I had to read the whole thing twice, and there wasn't really any trace of irony, so I believe it is not satire.

OP, sorry, no, you really are not due a refund. You got a much better deal than you paid for, and I would even guess she got the op-up because she (you) were one of the few people that actually paid for E+. As somebody else noted, she could have declined the upgrade.

Count your blessings and be happy with the great deal for your loved ones.

Last edited by cardiomd; Apr 27, 2012 at 7:57 pm Reason: I didn't mean sarcasm and my original statement sounded quite sarcastic.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 8:12 pm

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
you've gotta be kidding me.....

Originally Posted by MissyH
I do very little flying on UA, so I'd appreciate some advice on this.

I bought a ticket for my grandmother. She and her friends were visiting Hong Kong for sightseeing/shopping....

The ticket was booked on united.com and the routing was ORD-SFO-NRT-HKG-NRT-ORD-EWR, all in coach. She was sitting with her friends on all the flights except the NRT-ORD.

On the NRT-SFO, I bought her a $139 Economy+ seat.(seat 45C on 747-400, which I believe was the best coach seat on the plane?) I didn't tell her that I had to pay extra for it... well... you know how old ladies get... so I told her there was a screw up and the UA website allowed me to book that seat for free. Yes, I know it sounds like when Jerry Seinfeld told his father that the expensive gift was "hot"(i.e. stolen) to please his father

Anyway... an hour before the NRT-ORD was boarding, the gate agent found her and gave her new boarding passes. She wasn't aware of it at the time, but she found out she got a free op-up to upper deck business class! She told me it was nice and I think the FAs might have even gave one too many free champagne. She claims that when she went downstairs during the flight, the coach section was only half full. If she was right, then I wonder why she got upgraded in the first place???

I called UA and asked if I was due a refund for the $139 fee... the agent flat out told me that I wasn't. Can this be right? I wouldn't have minded if UA has a clear written policy on this isseu... UA's website only said that if you're re-seated in a non-Economy-Plus seat for operational reasons(i.e. plane subsitutuion), you'll get the fee back...
Old Apr 27, 2012, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by channa
I would pursue it. Only because of the ill-will United has generated in the past 8 weeks.

You have a shaky leg to stand on. But it's a leg nonetheless. If you read the rule literally, you get a refund if not seated in E+. Well, she wasn't seated in E+. Refund please!

I would try to stick it to them. At a minimum, you'll waste their time, and best case, you may get the $139 back.
I see no link between the OP's grandmother's experience and the ill-will of the last 8 weeks.

I can only see harm in even pursuing the money back - when UA did a "nice" thing. It's just bad karma.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 8:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... I called UA and asked if I was due a refund for the $139 fee... the agent flat out told me that I wasn't. Can this be right? I wouldn't have minded if UA has a clear written policy on this isseu... UA's website only said that if you're re-seated in a non-Economy-Plus seat for operational reasons(i.e. plane subsitutuion), you'll get the fee back...
the site also says (in the T&Cs tab)
If the customer is not re-accommodated in a seat with similar or greater extra legroom, fees paid for the seat will automatically be refunded.
I would think business class meets the requirement of similiar or greater extra legroom.
So I go with the majority, a refund is not a reasonable request. She could have refused the op-up and kept the E+ seat.

...., then I wonder why she got upgraded in the first place??? ...
occansionally this happens if space exists, crews have /had grandmothers.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
How could anyone even think to expect money back for this? That is like buying a cheeseburger, being offered a double cheeseburger for no extra charge, accepting the offer then asking for a refund because you ordered a cheeseburger not a double cheeseburger. OP - Be thankful and greatful..as much as United is hated right now they did give an OP UP that many pay $500 plus miles for. No reason to waste their time... that only hold up lines for other 1Ks trying to use SWU's!
Old Apr 27, 2012, 8:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aero0729
How could anyone even think to expect money back for this? That is like buying a cheeseburger, being offered a double cheeseburger for no extra charge, accepting the offer then asking for a refund because you ordered a cheeseburger not a double cheeseburger. ...
a better analogy is ordering a hamburger, paying extra to add cheese and getting a double mushroom cheeseburger -- and asking for a refund.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 8:46 pm

I'd attribute it to the airline gods recognizing OP as a good grandson/daughter, and rewarding filial virtue with a hefty discount

And kudos to channa and hillta1 and WineCountryUA for their courteous, respectful, and facutal responses*. ^ Far too little of that on FT these days.

*and no small dose of chutzpah from channa, which is a good thing in general for an FF to have. But in this case a light step is much more in order, and befits the inclination of looking after one's elders.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Given that coach section was half full, OP might want to consider that the pax was prioritized for op up based on paying extra for E+.

Or the GA misinterpreted the pax receipt record for E+ as a tod to J.

Either way, the pax got a tod on a long haul. No refund due.

Last edited by mre5765; Apr 28, 2012 at 9:15 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.