Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do I get a receipt for an additional collection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2012, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum

I have a EWR-LHR trip in C originally planned for this month, but I had to reschedule it for June. There was an approx $700 fare difference, which was charged to my credit card. I need a receipt for the charge, but when I select "View Receipt" in my Reservations, it still shows the original April itinerary and airfare.

I called the GS line. They said they can't see the payment history, so they transferred me to the Refund Department. Since it wasn't a refund, they told me to call the "Ticket Documents and Support" department at 713-324-4617. That line is a recording telling me I have to send my request in writing along with $20.00!! I called back again and this time the agent told me to write to [email protected] (I guess they didn't get the branding memo). I did that yesterday, but have no idea how long it will take.

My company's accounting department won't accept my credit card statement showing the charge - they want something from the airline. Any idea if there's a way to do this online?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 6:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.163 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

IME if they sent you an email confirmation with the new itinerary it shows the add/collect. Other than that I have no idea.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I have a EWR-LHR trip in C originally planned for this month, but I had to reschedule it for June. There was an approx $700 fare difference, which was charged to my credit card. I need a receipt for the charge, but when I select "View Receipt" in my Reservations, it still shows the original April itinerary and airfare.

I called the GS line. They said they can't see the payment history, so they transferred me to the Refund Department. Since it wasn't a refund, they told me to call the "Ticket Documents and Support" department at 713-324-4617. That line is a recording telling me I have to send my request in writing along with $20.00!! I called back again and this time the agent told me to write to [email protected] (I guess they didn't get the branding memo). I did that yesterday, but have no idea how long it will take.

My company's accounting department won't accept my credit card statement showing the charge - they want something from the airline. Any idea if there's a way to do this online?
The best thing to do is have the agent email you the add/collect receipt when you make the change. When I’ve gotten them to do that it’s perfect and shows the additional fare. If not you are stuck.

I've been in the same situation several times and found the only way to get it is at the airport or via the $20/receipt method (which you can request & pay online). At the airport it's a bit tricky since you need to find someone who knows how and is willing to do it for you. But even then you won't get anything showing specifically the new charge. You'll just get something showing the full value of the ticket.

Regarding the $20 they seem to quite adamant about charring it. I haven't been able to get anything without paying it.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 8:21 am

Programs: OnePass Ex-Platinum now dirtinum
I've always just hit "print reciept" after getting my boarding pass at the airport. So far, it's shown the add charges every time.
But, with the new/old system and all the changes made, YMMV
Old Apr 27, 2012, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kenn0223
The best thing to do is have the agent email you the add/collect receipt when you make the change. When I’ve gotten them to do that it’s perfect and shows the additional fare. If not you are stuck.

I've been in the same situation several times and found the only way to get it is at the airport or via the $20/receipt method (which you can request & pay online). At the airport it's a bit tricky since you need to find someone who knows how and is willing to do it for you. But even then you won't get anything showing specifically the new charge. You'll just get something showing the full value of the ticket.

Regarding the $20 they seem to quite adamant about charring it. I haven't been able to get anything without paying it.
I'll remember in the future to be sure I get a receipt at the time of the change. I unfortunately assumed the online receipt would be updated. I wonder if I can go ahead and try the next time I'm at the airport for another flight? I'll post if I'm successful.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K Marriott Plat SPG Gold
I'll remember in the future to be sure I get a receipt at the time of the change. I unfortunately assumed the online receipt would be updated. I wonder if I can go ahead and try the next time I'm at the airport for another flight? I'll post if I'm successful.
A while ago I had to pay $150 (not yet 1k at the time) to cancel an award travel ticket due to a last minute business trip. I paid with my company credit card and specifically requested a receipt from the agent at the time of payment. When I didn't get the receipt I emailed customer service and they basically responded with an email confirming the date of payment, the amount and the last four digits of the card used. I was able to use that in lieu of a receipt.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Have you tried clicking the "Add E-mail Address and Request Receipt" link and entering your e-mail address? That should both update the receipt on the web site to reflect your current itinerary and send you a new copy via e-mail.

I'm not sure whether the new receipt will properly show the add/collect, but it's worth a shot. My experience has been that reissuing a receipt in this manner does cause it show add/collect for upgrade copays (under an "Additional Charges" heading right below the Fare Rules), but I'm not sure about a fare difference.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JonIND
Have you tried clicking the "Add E-mail Address and Request Receipt" link and entering your e-mail address? That should both update the receipt on the web site to reflect your current itinerary and send you a new copy via e-mail.

I'm not sure whether the new receipt will properly show the add/collect, but it's worth a shot. My experience has been that reissuing a receipt in this manner does cause it show add/collect for upgrade copays (under an "Additional Charges" heading right below the Fare Rules), but I'm not sure about a fare difference.
I tried it, and it did give me a current receipt (with the correct dates) but not the additional collection.

UPDATE: I got a response to the email I sent yesterday. It had an attachement with a receipt showing the amount I requested. So I'm satisfied with the <24 hour response time (and no $20.00 payment).

Dear Mr. TarheelNJ,

04/27/2012

RE: Copy of travel ticket per request

Attached you will find the United Airline ticket copy per your request. Please note the enclosed copy contain information such as: the name of the passenger; date and place of issue; amount of the ticket; ticket number form of payment; usage indicator; and origin and destination of travel.

Thank you for choosing United Airlines. If you have any further questions please contact us @

United Airlines –
ATTN: (name withheld)
P.O. Box 4607
Houston, TX 77211-4607
Fax: 713-324-3200
[email protected]
Old Apr 27, 2012, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
If the online receipt is stale (old receipt, old flights, etc.), you can click Request Receipt and get a new one. That will generate in a few minutes and usually shows the last round of changes.

Remember that the online receipt generation system is ancillary to CO's main system, so it doesn't always generate immediately once a change is made or a ticket is issued.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.