Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any U.S. airline worse than United?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2012, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Newly minted AA EXP Plat., disatisfied UA 1K, Marriott Silver & Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by seaflyguy
Are you still beating your wife?

That's about the level of quality of this question.
That's out of line. Would raw, raw Smisek been a more acceptable post to you? It's like an infectious disease that doesn't go away. Completely off point when people are defending Smisek and UA as a response to the question. That is not what the question was about. If you don't like the question, don't answer it. It's not like we need your comment on every thread, especially when they are as off point as an offshore United CSR answering customer calls. Please start a raw, raw Smisek thread for that.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by mduell
This is not how modern ATM in the US works. They do not have to load passengers and make them sit on the tarmac away from a gate for hours to keep their departure slot.
I didn't realize that the guys in the tower also control the weather.

You'll have to fill me in on how that works...

But seriously.

The reason planes sit on the tarmac is not because they are "waiting" for a clearance from the ATC. They're waiting for a brief clearing in the weather to allow them to take off, for a "weather hold" to be lifted.

That's what happened during the "Valentine's Day Massacre."

The reason the planes wait on the tarmac fully loaded and ready to go is that the moments of good weather are often brief enough that, if the planes waited at the gate and they only started boarding when the clearance came, they would almost certainly miss the good weather window by the time they got their act together.

Sure, it can seem strange to sit for hours on the tarmac, but, in my book, it beats staying at the gate and thereby potentially seeing your whole flight cancelled, and then having your trip effectively delayed much longer.

Last edited by TWA Fan 1; Apr 28, 2012 at 4:37 pm
Old Apr 29, 2012, 6:51 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Glob, AA 1MM. Former UA 1K, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by reddirt14
That's out of line. Would raw, raw Smisek been a more acceptable post to you? It's like an infectious disease that doesn't go away. Completely off point when people are defending Smisek and UA as a response to the question. That is not what the question was about. If you don't like the question, don't answer it. It's not like we need your comment on every thread, especially when they are as off point as an offshore United CSR answering customer calls. Please start a raw, raw Smisek thread for that.
I don't understand this response, but I'm deleting my original answer in the interest of promoting good conversation.

Last edited by seaflyguy; Apr 29, 2012 at 11:32 pm Reason: Decided I was being part of the problem and not the solution
Old Apr 29, 2012, 7:00 am

Programs: AA, SPG
Spirit by a long shot. If you can get a cheaper flight p/p than a nice meal with your wife.....that should throw up red flags.

I flew it with me being6'5".... 26in seats isnt going to cut it.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by ljwobker
To my mind, there are basically a few "classes" of airlines:
- really good ones (Asiana, AirNZ, Singapore, Emirates, etc). note that none of these are based in the USA. ;-)
- pretty good ones (BA, Qantas, Lufthansa, lots of others).
- the american majors (UA, US, AA, DL, etc)
- the budget ones (WN, B6, Airtran, RyanAir, EasyJet, etc)
- the scary ones in significantly less developed nations/markets/etc

To the OP's question... I think the US majors are all pretty much the same IN GENERAL. They all have customer service problems, they all suffer from overcrowded hubs and airspace, they suffer from trying to cater to a bimodal marketing (a few americans willing to pay a lot to fly premium but a vast majority of people who are on vacation and sort by price or whose companies' purchasing policies force them to sort by price). They're also all hamstrung by labor unions and contracts where it's very hard to shed staff, and the staff is paid almost entirely on seniority rather than service. (Translation: polite flight attendants don't get paid any more than mean ones!)

Although I would quibble a bit with your grouping of the international airlines, I do agree that someone expecting a world of difference by moving from one large US airline to another is in for a let-down either in the short term or the long term.

My primary reason for posting comments/gripes on this board is to try and influence the inner workings of United Airlines, by comparing the pros and cons of major airlines with each other. If the gripe is a big one, I agree that threatening to leave (or better actually doing it) has got to influence them, but I'm not to that point myself (yet).

Have to admit that I'm still brand-loyal to some extent. I actually like seeing some of my favorite FA's/pilots (even United Club people) from time to time, and try to remember to tell myself that they are in there with us in our quest to improve things at UA.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by StingWest
Have to admit that I'm still brand-loyal to some extent. I actually like seeing some of my favorite FA's/pilots (even United Club people) from time to time, and try to remember to tell myself that they are in there with us in our quest to improve things at UA.
I used to agree with you here...but then I have had many of my sUA CS and UC "angels" telling me that they don't blame us for defecting to other carriers...and that they wish they could defect...or when 1KPath cousins who are sUA pilots tell me that the real "stuff has not hit he fan yet" and they recommend that Mrs. 1kPath and I seek status with other airlines...at that point, brand loyality becomes a moot point and the only brand we should be loyal to is "us"! Believe me when I say it was hard to have gone to the dAArk side...I flew UA for nearly 35 years and it was part of family...literally!...but then I was also the son of a TWA pilot and flew them for the better part of 40 years and they are gone and I have survived! If we believe that UA is no longer with us, and the monstrosity that COdbaUA has become is definitely not UA...then it is easier!
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by 1KPath
If we believe that UA is no longer with us, and the monstrosity that COdbaUA has become is definitely not UA...then it is easier!
Yes, see your points about brand loyalty. Well, since most of my flying is to Europe from SFO, my best options are probably with Virgin Atlantic via LHR rather than AA (BA is not a good option from my experience with them).

Also, it seems from what I read that AA will not be exempt from the problems associated with bankruptcy and a possible future merger with US - too early to tell in my opinion.

Last edited by StingWest; Apr 29, 2012 at 12:30 pm Reason: to fix errors in grammar
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:44 pm

Smile Flyer Talk is turning into a forum of little value

Worst airline than United in the USA

every other one!!!!!!!!

United has the best route system
United has the best fleet
United has good service---- over 75,000 miles this year not one delay upgrades on every flight that had first class and my FF account with over 3 million miles is current and LT miles and award miles are exactly correct. Called 1K desk today and they answered on the first ring.

most FF posters have not flown every airline recently and are the biggest group of over blown and nitpickers the world has seen. This stated as a useful tool but today rarely has any news. As a point prior to the meager all they did was complain about .bomb --now with the change they claim it is the worst when it is exactly the same as the CO site which they used to say was the best
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:46 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Wondering if anyone really believes there is another U.S. airline worse than United, across the board. Please no highly qualified answers like: Not in terms of airlines with a blue carpet elite lines... I'm talking from a holistic look at it. We often used to say US was the worst, but it's far from it now. Delta and AA have never been at the bottom, although they dive towards it at times. I feel like UA is on a rapid path down...to me it's the worst airline we have in the U.S. and I feel like it's still getting worse. Curious if anyone thinks there is a worse one out there.
US Air Hands down
Old Apr 29, 2012, 1:23 pm

Spirit!

Flew them on a last minute fare when everything else was sky-high, never again. As a pilot, some of the control inputs I felt were... disturbing.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by happywanderer
Delta is far worse than United. FA's are surly, upgrades are impossible, and no E+. US Air isn't much better. Never flown AA.
Upgades on DL are generally easier than UA in my experience. FA's and customer service on Delta has always been stellar compared to United. DL has some old ... planes though. Not a fan of the M88s when UA has newer 319, 320, and more 738s.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 2:01 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by warthog1984
Spirit!

Flew them on a last minute fare when everything else was sky-high, never again. As a pilot, some of the control inputs I felt were... disturbing.
that's scary
Old Apr 29, 2012, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by warthog1984
Spirit!

Which is especially disturbing on an Airbus, since the computer essentially flies the plane...
Old Apr 29, 2012, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Wondering if anyone really believes there is another U.S. airline worse than United, across the board. Please no highly qualified answers like: Not in terms of airlines with a blue carpet elite lines... I'm talking from a holistic look at it. We often used to say US was the worst, but it's far from it now. Delta and AA have never been at the bottom, although they dive towards it at times. I feel like UA is on a rapid path down...to me it's the worst airline we have in the U.S. and I feel like it's still getting worse. Curious if anyone thinks there is a worse one out there.
My experience last year sampling UA as a Premier Gold didn't impress me enough to retain status with them, nor did it make me think "worst airline EVAR".

I flew Spirit this January, on an old creaky Airbus in a seat with 29" pitch (my knees were jammed into a seatback), because it was literally the only way I could get to LAS. I won't be flying them again if I can avoid it. It's clearly inferior to UA.

I could see scenarios where I'd fly UA again (though if I would want to do it regularly, I'd want status), but I don't think AA, DL, UA or US distinguish themselves much in terms of being much different from "lowest common denominator/generic airline" unless you hold any elite status with them. I hold status on none of those airlines. Were it not for my AS status giving me pseudo-status on AA/DL, I would consider all the legacy airlines to be pretty much inferior to WN/B6/AS/VX in terms of the product they deliver (you don't get humane seat pitch without paying for it, nuisance fees up the wazoo), and no amount of bribing me with the occasional trip to an exotic location very far away with caviar and champagne when I pile up some miles is going to change that opinion. And that has nothing to do with the current villain du jour Smisek: UA has treated their occasional customers like peons for a long time. Give me WN any day of the week: I'll skip having my ego stroked with a shiny card and settle for good customer service for an occasional customer, with reasonable policies that don't seem designed to punish me.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:15 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Glob, AA 1MM. Former UA 1K, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
Upgades on DL are generally easier than UA in my experience. FA's and customer service on Delta has always been stellar compared to United. DL has some old ... planes though. Not a fan of the M88s when UA has newer 319, 320, and more 738s.
I'm 17 of 18 on UA upgrades so far this calendar year -- 2 via upgrade instruments and the other 15 complimentary. My only miss was when my outbound flight was delayed so much that I opted to switch to the next day instead of overnighting in ORD.

As for the FAs, I don't have a ton of experience with DL, but on UA, historically speaking, I understand what you're saying. I've had my fair share of trans-Pacific prison matrons. But for whatever reason, my midcon and transcon experience in F lately has ranged from good to outstanding. I wouldn't pitch my experience as anything other than subjective, and it's too small a data set from which to draw conclusions, but I take note of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.