Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United App-Questions, Answers, Bugs and etc for NON-iPhone and Android [CONSOLIDATED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Originally Posted by UA Insider

Hi everyone,

Today we take another step in the overall redesign of our digital channels—the launch of the redesigned United mobile app for Android devices.

In redesigning the Android version of the app, our eCommerce team used data from our current app to understand which features and functions were most important to customers. There’s a lot we’ve packed into this release, including some completely new functionality.

Here’s an overview:

Updated functionality
As with the iOS app released a few months ago, the Android version updates popular tasks like booking and checking in for a flight, monitoring flight status and checking your MileagePlus account summary. Some of the notable updates include:
  • An easier way to see all the boarding passes for reservations with more than one traveler.
  • The option to book award travel with multiple segments.
  • Redesigned seats map graphics that are easier to view.

New functionality
The app also has several new functions that were introduced with the iOS version, such as travel cards and a travel wallet, as well as extras like Sudoku, a checked bag fees calculator, a currency converter and airport maps.

Really new functionality
Unique to this release and (for the moment) the Android app are a few changes designed to improve overall usability:
  • Text navigation along the top screen
  • Ability to scroll both vertically and horizontally
  • The screen will re-orient when rotated so you can use the features in either direction
  • For multiple travelers or viewing multiple flight statuses, the data will now stack to show more information at-a-glance
  • When you are signed in to the app, any active reservations in your account will have travel cards
  • Widget is available on the home screen for quick access into the app

We will introduce many of these elements to the iOS version later this year as we continue to update and improve our app across iOS, Android and Windows devices. And our digital improvements won’t stop there—our new website is in the works. In the next few months, we will begin to launch the new united.com. It will be a phased approach that will span all of 2014, and you can expect that the Preview program will be a key part of each release.

In the meantime, the updated Android app (which is compatible with KitKat and previous operating platforms) is now available from the Google Play store.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

United App-Questions, Answers, Bugs and etc for NON-iPhone and Android [CONSOLIDATED]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Last week, all my reservations -- 20 of them -- were to/from BLR instead of BOS.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I have a Samsung 9. Latest version of United app. Was looking to see if my GPU for my flight next month came through on the regular Sunday night update.

The app says for every reservation the name on the reservation does not match the profile.

Accessing via the web page has no such issues so think all is okay with my reservations. But should I be concerned by the mismatch on the app? Similar issues with name not matching to my MP number for a flight I booked through Lufthansa.
Same for me on iPhone version...
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC 35K, SPG GOLD
Same for me with the app. I tried booking a trip on united.com, I got error message returned to me (not able to book...bla bla bla...try later). I checked on my credit card and the booking was charged. Not really sure what to do now. Any advise?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Fixed now, at least, for me on IPhone.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:52 am

Is it just me or are others suspicious UA IT has been in there to create some sort of ‘enhancement’? Something like this doesn’t just break, right? Seeing that the app has been back up for a few hours, I’m noticing that no information loads about upgrade inventory or clearance in Flight Status Details. My money is on an ‘enhancement’ to make these features more opaque.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:10 am
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
I'd suggest Hanlon's razor applies: never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chebert999
Same for me with the app. I tried booking a trip on united.com, I got error message returned to me (not able to book...bla bla bla...try later). I checked on my credit card and the booking was charged. Not really sure what to do now. Any advise?
It wasn’t charged. It was ‘authorized’. Pending charges are not the same as being charged.

99%+ chance it drops if there is no confirmed booking attached. If it clears, then you have UA refund, or if not, call bank to dispute/have it reversed. But very low likelihood of you needing to do anything.

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Is it just me or are others suspicious UA IT has been in there to create some sort of ‘enhancement’? Something like this doesn’t just break, right? Seeing that the app has been back up for a few hours, I’m noticing that no information loads about upgrade inventory or clearance in Flight Status Details. My money is on an ‘enhancement’ to make these features more opaque.
maybe, maybe not. Yes, computers just break. All the time. With little or nothing being done to them.

My guess, solely based on timing, is that you can stop worrying. ‘Enhancements’ usually get implemented on Friday evening/Sat. morning on UA. Could be someone fumbling a test onto the live platform by mistake - that can happen too. But my guess is things just broke - for whatever reason. Yes, that happens.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
So the app is working again, BUT the flights I paid for friends and family and applied miles and/or RPUs have disappeared from the reservations. I had already added them before. I am unable to add them on the web page. So will need to go back, find the reservation numbers and add them again.

I think it is a serious security flaw that it is not automatic to add reservations to My Reservations that I have paid for with either $ or miles, albeit I am not actually flying. It is certainly easy for me to remove the reservation if I do not want to see it. I babysit the reservations (mine and friends/family) and I obviously cannot (and should not) access their MP account. I babysit the reservations for aircraft changes, seat changes, all the things we FTers understand can change but which less experienced travelers are unaware may happen. Also, read one too many examples of folks miles and certs being used by others. If it comes out of my account I want to see the reservations. Used to be the way and they changed it a few months ago.

UA IT should stop "fixing the things that ain't broke".

So going back in to add the reservations that were removed. Ughhh
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
UA IT should stop "fixing the things that ain't broke".
Fat chance of that happening: it is their motto!
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: United, Bonvoy, NEXUS/GE, Amex Plat
On the app, checking in for my flight to NRT, reservation page showed me traveling to AKL. Nice little heart attack to start the day.
iluv2fly and Silver Fox like this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

in-app expert mode

Here comes in-app expert mode!

First noticed in the iphone thread.

UA's app continues to excel other airlines' apps.
drewguy, narvik and windhund like this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I had trouble checkin in on the app this morning. T-24 came and went with nothing found on either the "check in" screen or via my reservation. I wasn't in a hurry since we were already in F. After 30 minutes I searched by confirmation number and then the check-in screen came up. It was like the ability to check in hadn't made it's way to my reservation but I could call it up manually.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
Here comes in-app expert mode!

[img: sfo - ord 1841 mi.]

First noticed in the iphone thread.

UA's app continues to excel other airlines' apps.
Just noticed, the app seems to trim 5 mi. from each flight distance (or at least, from the handful I checked). Odd.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Anyone using the UA app on Android having trouble with boarding passes on connecting flights? I have had several BPs gone "missing" on the final connection segment.

For example, AAA-BBB-CCC - the BP for BBB-CCC goes missing for a period of time during and right after arrival of AAA-BBB, but does re-appear right before boarding
Old May 18, 2021, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
How does one pay for a ticket on the United app using Chase Pay (or Google Pay for that matter). Those are not options when I try to pay for a flight, yet United advertises these are accepted forms of payment. Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.