Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Premiers might get better results by signing in" NOT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2012, 5:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver

Is this typical UA or what... I punched up a late summer fare LAX to St Thomas with a return from San Juan and it showed a very decent $485, with a caveat that I might get a better result by signing in, So, I went back, signed in,, puched up the same flight and it was $533. I decided that their definition of a "better result" sucked, so I closed my browser, opened it up and punched in the fare without signing in and it popped up $485. There probably is a glitch, but I more and more expect this type of racketeering from United

Last edited by chasbondy; Apr 26, 2012 at 5:41 am Reason: to be nicer
Old Apr 26, 2012, 6:19 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by chasbondy
Is this typical UA or what... I punched up a late summer fare LAX to St Thomas with a return from San Juan and it showed a very decent $485, with a caveat that I might get a better result by signing in, So, I went back, signed in,, puched up the same flight and it was $533. I decided that their definition of a "better result" sucked, so I closed my browser, opened it up and punched in the fare without signing in and it popped up $485. There probably is a glitch, but I more and more expect this type of racketeering from United
You will notice that when booking award tickets within asia. If I sign in, the saver business class options will disappear. If I do not sign in, then it gives all the saver business class fares.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 7:27 am

As time consuming as it is, I always search and price important itineraries (award and revenue) both "In" and "Out."
Old Apr 26, 2012, 7:28 am

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
I certainly hope this is a glitch - otherwise my work just doubled.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 7:42 am

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
A longstanding problem with the PMCO website. I doubt it is a priority for them to fix.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Red_Rob
A longstanding problem with the PMCO website. I doubt it is a priority for them to fix.
Absolutely. This has been going on for many years on the PMCO website.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 8:06 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by chasbondy
...racketeering....
a) Oh, please.

b) "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."
Old Apr 26, 2012, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by JetAway
As time consuming as it is, I always search and price important itineraries (award and revenue) both "In" and "Out."
I also check routes and fares on an independent reservation system since I've found major differences on the CO system. (Didn't UA offer a lowest-fare guarantee on their web site pre-merger?)
Old Apr 26, 2012, 8:12 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Wow - it never occurred to me to try this. Thanks for the heads up.

I've seen this with Avis.com but never with airlines...
Old Apr 26, 2012, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cblaisd
a) Oh, please.

b) "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."
Agreed - I originally thought a lot of the PMCO (now COdbaUA) policies were malicious, but now I realize that so much of it is sheer incompetence (SHARES-based primarily).
Old Apr 26, 2012, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Red_Rob
I have not experienced this specific problem. However, when not signed in to the system, I occasionally see prices quoted in CAN$ or AUS$ rather than US$ when I search for an itinerary.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 8:17 am

Programs: UA, AA
How far along did you go in the booking? Is it possible you pulled the last seats in the fare class, and it took a couple of minutes for them to be redeposited when you didn't complete the original booking?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Agreed - I originally thought a lot of the PMCO (now COdbaUA) policies were malicious, but now I realize that so much of it is sheer incompetence (SHARES-based primarily).
+1

As evidence I'd point to some itineraries that actually price out cheaper on the "new" UA site than elsewhere, which makes no economic sense for the airline.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's hard to tell without knowing the OP's intended dates of travel, but a check on Matrix shows US having better fares LAX-STT/SJU-LAX. As a Silver (barely), I doubt OP is counting on a CPU, so it might be worthwhile to check out US. Miles earned on US can be credited to MP.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:53 am

Even though i fly UA/Star Alliance for most flights, i *always* check my itinerary in Kayak to see if there isn't a much better option on another carrier AND to ensure that i'm finding the best time/price on United.com. I'm doubly glad I do so now that I read this...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.