Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Goodbye, United.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2013, 5:21 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Hey, you guys are a year behind me...

It is interesting that while the UAL defenders all say "the golden age of Mileage programs is over, get used to it" as UAL slashes MP, AA is not changing its program, and DL and AS are improving theirs.

Someone (ok, everyone BUT UAL) still thinks that mileage programs have a role in driving profitability.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Fuel surcharges will be the major issue with redemptions in this program.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Jumped back in February from UA (10 yr Plat) to AS - for two reasons. One I moved to Seattle but to be fair, I stayed with UA for about 3 months after the move. Second, I saw the writing on the wall and the moves Jeffy was making just didn't work for me.

So I status matched back in March to Gold and am now a flight away from MVP 75k. AS is light years ahead of UA in service. The planes are a bit better with WiFi on all of my flights. But the people are Alaska's best asset.

Another huge benefit to me is the ability to cancel reservations with no penalty - award or revenue - and that's a Gold benefit.

To the OP - you won't regret the move. Enjoy.

Last edited by fireworksboy; Dec 11, 2013 at 9:05 pm
Old Dec 11, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
...It's going to get harder and harder to upgrade - Smisek would sell a 1K for $1.
Seems like a fair price for what it is worth in actuality these days...
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:55 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
AS is light years ahead of UA in service. The planes are a bit better with WiFi on all of my flights. But the people are Alaska's best asset.
From the days when CO still had good service, I was always impressed at how much better AS was. I was always happy to fly CO's AS codeshares
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Maybe someone here can chime in if there is any sort of taxation (other than general income taxation) on these revenues?
It's the 7.5% federal US domestic excise tax which is applied to the base fare. That's it. The rest of the taxes on your tickets are fixed and based on segments. There are no state sales taxes charged on tickets and the TSA Tax, US segment tax, and PFC's are all fixed and not a percentage of the base fare. We now return you to regularly scheduled hyperventilating about how the airlines are avoiding tons of taxes by unbundling fees.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 11:17 pm

With AS' news today that they will **finally** allow EQMs on QF it is academic for me. In 2014 I will make MVPG on AS with my US domestic and OZ flying (QF in PE; I don't need flat bed just a decent seat) and will perhaps make 1P more likely 2P on UA next year depending on how may small market US airports in the midwest I end up needing to get to.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
...as UAL slashes MP, AA is not changing its program, and DL and AS are improving theirs.
Im sure some will take this as defending the UA changes - this is not meant as such, but more as context.

If you think AA is going to keep the status quo with their program, think again. They're concentrating on how to combine all of their ops now. Pretty pointless for them to change the separate FF programs now when they'll have a whole new one that will likely go into effect by the beginning of 2015. You will see some not pleasant changes there too. They may also not make all of the changes at program inception - keep some of the benefits others don't have so people don't switch out at the onset, and then implement them later in the 2015 or 2016 timeframes. Don't think even if they don't make changes initially, that they aren't planning them. The late merger gives them good reason to not follow others as fast as they would have otherwise. In other words, you have a bit more time to play with over there. Maybe the changes won't be as bad, maybe they will. Only time will tell.

As for DL, yes, they have made some decent changes, though as evidenced in the other thread about GPUs, some still prefer the UA method. For all the praise DL gets, they treated me pretty badly the few times I did try to fly them when I was based out of CVG (and given the downsizing they've done there, there are few trips I was able to do without stopping in one of their other hubs anyway - so there was rarely a convenience benefit anymore). And when all is said and done - it's still exceptionally difficult to use skypesos at the lower levels. For many who like to redeem awards, DL isn't a good program for them. And any last minute changes on awards and you lose the miles. Don't think many people appreciate that.

As for AS, I don't know much about their program but hear good things. They are also more of a regional player and I may very well use them if I was west-coast based. Yes, the AA/DL partnerships are great for them. However, DL looks to be trying to fire them from that partnership - so AA will be that's left of that. They have never been able to get me where I primarily travel. For those millions of people based on the east coast and Midwest, as I always have been in the US, AS is not going to be a good option either.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:28 am

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
Totally agree

Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
Mr. Smisek:

How is everything working for you? I was reading this post from April 2012 - it was written by someone else, but it's also my story. You don't deserve customers like us. WE are the ones who kept your planes full - instead we are flying on your competitors.

With your departure will come sweeping changes to win my business back. The moment you leave is the moment I return to United. How do I know your departure is immanent? Because I know your policies are not working out and will not work. You've lost sight of the single most important thing the Greeks knew about at the Agora below the Parthenon thousands of years ago, the French knew when they traded with the Indians in the New World and today Nordstrom knows in this competitive environment - the CUSTOMER is king. Note the word CUSTOMER - the single thing you've neglected and the one thing that will be your hubris.

Yours,

UrbaneGent

I don't know you, Kind Sir, so please, I mean it figuratively. If one thinks that because a status flyer leaves United it's going to free up more upgrade seats for others is not thinking correctly. It will be just be more seats that will be made available for sale to anyone willing to pay the highest price for an upgrade.

It's going to get harder and harder to upgrade - Smisek would sell a 1K for $1.
Totally agree with both of you!
Old Dec 12, 2013, 5:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Jumped back in February from UA (10 yr Plat) to AS - for two reasons. One I moved to Seattle but to be fair, I stayed with UA for about 3 months after the move. Second, I saw the writing on the wall and the moves Jeffy was making just didn't work for me.

So I status matched back in March to Gold and am now a flight away from MVP 75k. AS is light years ahead of UA in service. The planes are a bit better with WiFi on all of my flights. But the people are Alaska's best asset.

Another huge benefit to me is the ability to cancel reservations with no penalty - award or revenue - and that's a Gold benefit.

To the OP - you won't regret the move. Enjoy.
Years ago when I was based in SFO, my travels took me from Kodiak to San Diego, and I was a huge AS fan. You are correct, the people of AS are indeed their best asset.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 1:24 am

Programs: AA: Platinum
Goodbye United

I am 1K for many years. United crew was family before Continental ruined us. From the "Rusk" bar in Rome where customers and crew met up for drinks to the many dives all over the world where crew and passengers were family. I've been with them all. But I'm done with the new UAL and the Continental crew who provide good service but believe crew and passengers are like teachers and students. Out of class, ignore you! Maybe it was the 9-11 experience that bound us UAL folks together that the Continental crew folks do not understand.

Many from the old United crew tell me how the Continental crew treat them like dirt also, So I guess us old passengers and old UAL folks are in the same boat (or plane). Several United pilots have told me Continental pilots are " really weird".

I don't care anymore. Goodbye to the old United family. It is now gone and so am I.

Last edited by home222; Aug 4, 2014 at 6:19 am
Old Aug 2, 2014, 1:25 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Where are you moving your travel to? Your post will probably be moved over here in the next few hours:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...4-edition.html
Old Aug 2, 2014, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by home222
Guess Flyertalk will throw me off after this thread. I don't care anymore. I am really upset right now. Goodbye UAL and Flyertalk.
No need to be dismissed from FT, home222. You are just sharing your opinion and frustration, which a lot on this board fully understand.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by home222
Guess Flyertalk will throw me off after this thread. I don't care anymore. I am really upset right now. Goodbye UAL and Flyertalk. I am 1K for many years. United crew was family before Continental ruined us. From the "Rusk" bar in Rome where customers and crew met up for drinks to the many dives all over the world where crew and passengers were family. I've been with them all. But I'm done with the new UAL and the Continental crew who provide good service but believe crew and passengers are like teachers and students. Out of class, ignore you! Maybe it was the 9-11 experience that bound us UAL folks together that the Continental crew folks do not understand.

Yes, good service on board. But, God forbid, Continental crew treat passengers as friends and family off board as UAL crew did. Today in Waikiki at the PK where UAL now puts up crew I tried to buy some FA from my flight drinks. They were great to my wife and I on board but treated us like jerks when we stopped by to say hello and buy a drink for them. And, yes, they knew us from 1st class.

Many from the old United crew tell me how the Continental crew treat them like dirt also, So I guess us old passengers and old UAL folks are in the same boat (or plane). Several United pilots have told me Continental pilots are " really weird".

I don't care anymore. Goodbye to the old United family. It is now gone and so am I.
So your done with united because you were snubbed by some flight attendants off duty but provided you good service on board?

Oh please. Such drama.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 5:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Congratulations UA Final Nail in the Coffin

First you gave up BKK as a destination, then you made it impossible to get to SEA using UA Metal from NRT and then you raised your fares for Business by 30-50% no matter what city you go into and from on the West Coast. You made 1K useless for the Pacific customer going to BKK ( unable to use GPU's).

Then to add insult to injury you screw your customers if they use Star Alliance Carriers by not giving them the same premier miles (if any) and no bonus miles except with ANA.

Asiana and Eva have fares far less and far better service so my $20,000 a year in fares is leaving you for good in 2015.

I will take 1 $400 coast to Coast flight in case I don't use up my 600,000 miles next year and need to protect my miles.

Probably why you are the only airline losing money. Great Management!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.