Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

what is the current flat-tire rule? (Missed flight)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
GG FLAT TIRE (as of April 2018)

FLAT TIRE RULE:
CUSTOMERS CONTACTING UNITED WITHIN 30 MINUTES PRIOR TO DEPARTURE OR 2 HOURS AFTER DEPARTURE MAY BE REBOOKED AT NO CHARGE ON UA/UAX FLIGHTS. ALL SEGMENTS OPERATED BY OA SHOULD ONLY BE REBOOKED BY THE OPERATING CARRIER AS THEY MAY BE SUBJECT TO ADDITIONAL FEES
Flat Tire, is this referring literally to a car having a flat tire?
No, "Flat Tire" refers to a situation where one arrives too late to make a flight due to most any reason. If you show up within two hours of the original flight departure, UA generally will try to accommodate you as a low-level priority standby passenger on the next flight with standby space. Note this will only be for UA/UX flights and no guarantees on how soon UA might be able to accommodate the delayed passenger. No reason for the delay is needed (flat tire or not, does not matter).

Years ago, pre-deregulation, this was a formal rule. Nowadays, legacy USA airlines still provide this as a courtesy but they are under no obligation to provide. Note with non-USA airlines there is no such policy and you will mostly be required to purchase a new ticket.

This does not apply in a connection situation on a single ticket. The carrier creating the delay is obligated to address that situation
Print Wikipost

what is the current flat-tire rule? (Missed flight)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
UA does supposedly have a 'flat-tire' policy as mentioned previously where they will re-book you or put you on standby for a later flight if you arrive at the airport not too long after your flight. I almost needed it once pre-merger, but was able to run to the gate and was the last to board, door closing right behind me.

Obviously, the scarce details would lead any response to be speculative, at best, including what I'm about to write. However, if your thought about the subject not actually wanting to take the trip is correct, and she was working for me and this was suspected, I would be looking way less at airline policy and more on what her intention was. I would have her in my office asking objectively about the details, and if my assessment was that she did intentionally miss the flight, then she'd probably be out of a job. No one says you have to like traveling for work, but if its part of one's job, it is what it is. Throwing away company money like that is just not acceptable.
I do plan on having a discussion with the employee now that I'm back in the office, there are too many details that are missing. This should have been a good opportunity for her, but I doubt that I will offer any future travel.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by arthurhs
I do plan on having a discussion with the employee now that I'm back in the office, there are too many details that are missing. This should have been a good opportunity for her, but I doubt that I will offer any future travel.
The key is here:

She said the other flights that day (the UA app showed they were bookable) were either full, standby or required her to purchase a new ticket.
Which is exactly what we expect - she missed her flight, so her non-refundable ticket is no longer valid. She could then buy a new ticket on any other flight with available seats that day - which would probably have been expensive, so she should have asked if the company wanted her to do that on the company dime.

Alternatively, United offered to let her fly stand-by for later flights. In that case, she would go to the gate for the next flight, and if there were any empty seats after all ticketed passengers had boarded, United would have let her fly that flight for free.

If there were tickets for sale for later flights, the odds are very good she would have made a later flight that day, for free, by showing up to each successive flight until one with an empty seat came along.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 4:23 am

So I'm planning to fly HKG-SFO on SQ connecting to SFO-LAS on UA. The SQ flight is scheduled to arrive at 2115, but FlightAware says that the actual arrival time is often between 2000 and 2030. There is a 2100 flight on UA and a 2230 as well. Would it be a good idea to book the 2100 flight in the hopes of making the connection (I'm in F on SQ, familiar with SFO and a pretty fast runner), then relying on the flat tire rule to be booked on the 2230 if I don't make it? I'm SQ *G if that makes a difference which I don't believe it does.

The only risk I see is if the 2230 flight is full then I'd be overnight in SFO at my expense. Currently it's around 2 weeks before travel, and the flight is 9's across the board and around 30 open seats in Y. Thoughts guys?

Thanks
Old Apr 12, 2016, 6:45 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
If I can get a good rate at a hotel that is walkable to NY Penn Station, I would stay there over an EWR hotel. Given the infrequencies of some hotel shuttles, and the early hour of your departure (some hotels may be hourly shuttles only that early), the train from Penn was more time efficient on my last trip. Hotels.com got me a great rate at the New Yorker, which was fine for 1 short night and a crazy early start... 5 minutes to the NJT ticket machine, and straight on a train. EWR security lines were longer than I'm used to though, at least a month ago. I got to the airport 70 minutes before my flight (no checked luggage) and was walking straight onto the plane mid boarding. And as somebody said earlier, you'll be waking up early no problem with jet lag!
Old Apr 12, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
So I'm planning to fly HKG-SFO on SQ connecting to SFO-LAS on UA. The SQ flight is scheduled to arrive at 2115, but FlightAware says that the actual arrival time is often between 2000 and 2030. There is a 2100 flight on UA and a 2230 as well. Would it be a good idea to book the 2100 flight in the hopes of making the connection (I'm in F on SQ, familiar with SFO and a pretty fast runner), then relying on the flat tire rule to be booked on the 2230 if I don't make it? I'm SQ *G if that makes a difference which I don't believe it does.

The only risk I see is if the 2230 flight is full then I'd be overnight in SFO at my expense. Currently it's around 2 weeks before travel, and the flight is 9's across the board and around 30 open seats in Y. Thoughts guys?

Thanks
Do you have Global Entry? Or Amex Centurion or Platinum? If it was me, I would just book the 2230 flight as US Customs can be either real efficient or lengthy at SFO, if you have Global Entry that's not a big issue then. If you have Amex Centurion or Platinum the Amex lounge is right where you exit US Customs and is a nice spot to relax a bit. I wouldn't push the earlier flight, and as you stated what happens if the later subsequently is full. Just my thoughts on the matter. Let us know what you end up doing and Safe Travels
Old Apr 12, 2016, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would it be a good idea to book the 2100 flight in the hopes of making the connection (I'm in F on SQ, familiar with SFO and a pretty fast runner), then relying on the flat tire rule to be booked on the 2230 if I don't make it?
The minimum connection time at SFO for international to domestic is 1:45. Considering that you have to go through passport control and customs, and will likely have to change terminals (UA runs a very small number of domestic departures out of the international terminal), I wouldn't even attempt this. Keep in mind that UA will close the boarding door 15 minutes before departure, so your best case scenario gives you 45 minutes from the time the plane arrives until you need to get to the connecting gate. Heck, even the 22:30 departure is an illegal connection.

I'd suggest booking the later flight and asking to stand by for the earlier one if you happen to arrive early enough to do that.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion

Thanks
You should book the 2230 and then try to go SBY or SDC for the 2100 if your flight arrives very early. Since you are on separate tickets it minimizes what UA is required to do for you if you miss the 2100. Noone here would ever tell you to speculatively expect to make what amounts to a -15 minute connection on paper.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Do you have Global Entry? Or Amex Centurion or Platinum? If it was me, I would just book the 2230 flight as US Customs can be either real efficient or lengthy at SFO, if you have Global Entry that's not a big issue then. If you have Amex Centurion or Platinum the Amex lounge is right where you exit US Customs and is a nice spot to relax a bit. I wouldn't push the earlier flight, and as you stated what happens if the later subsequently is full. Just my thoughts on the matter. Let us know what you end up doing and Safe Travels
No I don't have Global Entry (not a US citizen/resident, actually). I'm counting on the US customs and immigration being empty, as I looked on FlightStats and there weren't any international arrivals within ~2 hours before the SQ one. You are right though it will definitely be a mad dash. Thanks for your thoughts though, I'll sit on the choice a bit more.

Originally Posted by jsloan
The minimum connection time at SFO for international to domestic is 1:45. Considering that you have to go through passport control and customs, and will likely have to change terminals (UA runs a very small number of domestic departures out of the international terminal), I wouldn't even attempt this. Keep in mind that UA will close the boarding door 15 minutes before departure, so your best case scenario gives you 45 minutes from the time the plane arrives until you need to get to the connecting gate. Heck, even the 22:30 departure is an illegal connection.
All true - though I'm basing my numbers on previous I-D connections in the US, in LAX for instance where I've arrived at TBIT and been airside at T4/5/6/7 30 minutes later. So in my mind it will be doable, especially if I'm OLCI'ed and mobile boarding pass in hand. No doubt it leaves absolutely no room for anything to go wrong, which is why I'm relying on the flat tire rule to bail me out in that case... without it, I wouldn't even think about it.

Originally Posted by jsloan
I'd suggest booking the later flight and asking to stand by for the earlier one if you happen to arrive early enough to do that.
I believe free standby is only for UA Golds, not Star Golds, correct? Unless I can talk my way into getting a fee waiver somehow, a $75 standby fee on a $44 SFO-LAS ticket doesn't seem like the smartest choice.

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
You should book the 2230 and then try to go SBY or SDC for the 2100 if your flight arrives very early. Since you are on separate tickets it minimizes what UA is required to do for you if you miss the 2100. Noone here would ever tell you to speculatively expect to make what amounts to a -15 minute connection on paper.
If I was UA Gold that would definitely be my choice of action. And yes I realise how silly a -15 minute connection sounds

Although I do believe connecting on separate tickets I'd still be entitled to the "missed flight/flat tire" policy like any other O&D passenger.

Thanks for the replies guys - I'll say though that it's not imperative that I get to my destination ASAP though, so it's more a bit of fun to see how tight I can make things (without hugely significant financial blowback).

Last edited by goalie; Apr 12, 2016 at 9:16 am Reason: please use the member's name when quoting multiple parts of their post
Old Apr 12, 2016, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe free standby is only for UA Golds, not Star Golds, correct? Unless I can talk my way into getting a fee waiver somehow, a $75 standby fee on a $44 SFO-LAS ticket doesn't seem like the smartest choice.

Although I do believe connecting on separate tickets I'd still be entitled to the "missed flight/flat tire" policy like any other O&D passenger.
I double-checked the published rules and you're right; UA claims that they'll charge the $75 SDC fee for a standby if/when you clear. No idea if they'd waive it for *G like they do for UA Gold+; maybe someone with experience can chime in.

You're right that you'd be treated like any other O&D passenger in this scenario; the flat tire policy would apply. However, as I'm sure you're aware, that's at the discretion of the agent. I doubt you'd have an issue as long as there are empty seats available, but technically your ticket would have no value and they're not required to accommodate you.

Having said all of this: SFO-LAS is one of the rare non-hub-hub US routes that has significant competition; in fact, five airlines have nonstops scheduled today (United, Frontier, JetBlue, Virgin America, and Southwest). Walk-up fares range from $54 to $77 across the 14 lowest-price options. So, unless you're heading to LAS for a big convention, "buying a seat on the next flight" might well be a reasonable backup plan.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: Marriott: Platinum Hilton: Diamond AC: 25K
I read the title wrong the title but here is my experience with missed connections.

I have never missed a flight but I have missed connections before. Status is king here.

Here is what I remember over the years.

2 missed connections before I had status.

1 coach - Nothing given booked on the 2nd available flight
1 1st class - re-given a first class seat only just before boarding.

1 when gold re-booked in Y-class ticket so that shot me to the top of the CPU list was upgraded to first. But when I arrived in Montreal I did not know that I had to go to baggage claim before customs to get my hotel. Do I got it at 4am when the ticket counter opened. 7$ food voucher I think.

as 1k
Recently My wife was immigration to Canada so I went to Chicago to meet her so I could fly with her to Canada. My flight into Chicago arrived on time but her flight from Korea arrived 30 minutes late and customs took almost 2,5 hours. So we missed our connection flight to Canada. I was on a paid ticket she was on an award ticket with my miles. Got to the lounge they gave me a hotel, booked me on the next flight in E+ and gave me 4 20$ food vouchers.

I will sure miss 1k in February 2017 I normally only fly enough to have silver be one MR away.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
No I don't have Global Entry (not a US citizen/resident, actually). I'm counting on the US customs and immigration being empty, as I looked on FlightStats and there weren't any international arrivals within ~2 hours before the SQ one.
According to http://awt.cbp.gov/. Your average wait time for 2000 to 2100 hours is 12 minutes. Max wait time is 40 minutes.

Airport Wait Time Results for 4/8/2016 to 4/8/2016 - Airport: San Francisco International Airport

Wait Times Number of Passengers Time Interval
Airport Terminal Date Hour Average Max 0-15 16-30 31-45 46-60 61-90 91-120 121Plus Excluded Total Flights Booths
SFO Terminal G 4/8/2016 0600 - 0700 22 42 165 118 168 0 0 0 0 9 460 2 13
SFO Terminal G 4/8/2016 0700 - 0800 18 46 279 314 72 1 0 0 0 23 689 3 26
SFO Terminal G 4/8/2016 0800 - 0900 14 38 586 425 42 0 0 0 0 33 1086 3 35
SFO Terminal G 4/8/2016 0900 - 1000 8 13 98 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 101 1 32
SFO Terminal G 4/8/2016 1000 - 1100 21 79 751 41 143 101 94 0 0 43 1173 5 33
SFO Terminal G 4/8/2016 1200 - 1300 21 62 504 319 177 76 12 0 0 43 1131 4 19
SFO Terminal G 4/8/2016 1300 - 1400 19 43 247 134 127 0 0 0 0 13 521 2 19
SFO Terminal G 4/8/2016 1400 - 1500 13 23 123 67 0 0 0 0 0 4 194 1 19
SFO Terminal G 4/8/2016 1500 - 1600 14 49 460 190 53 9 0 0 0 29 741 4 20
SFO Terminal G 4/8/2016 1600 - 1700 29 69 269 290 237 118 60 0 0 32 1006 5 24
SFO Terminal G 4/8/2016 1700 - 1800 9 23 341 76 0 0 0 0 0 11 428 2 12
SFO Terminal G 4/8/2016 1800 - 1900 12 34 180 42 11 0 0 0 0 12 245 1 9
SFO Terminal G 4/8/2016 1900 - 2000 16 42 159 90 48 0 0 0 0 17 314 1 11
SFO Terminal G 4/8/2016 2000 - 2100 12 40 305 69 36 0 0 0 0 22 432 2 11
Old Apr 13, 2016, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

Thanks
No question here - book the later flight....standby on the earlier one, as suggested by a few. This will provide a lot more flexibility. Yes, you may have to sit in an airport for an extra hour and a half, but better then for days if UA flights are booked solid.

I also notice that you are counting on the SQ flight arriving early in order to even have a chance at making the earlier UA flight. So no, the only risk isn't the later flight being rebooked. Forget about the earlier UA flight, which departs before your flight is even scheduled to land. Maybe SQ arrives an hour early 90% of the time, but if you're on the one flight every week and a half or so that arrives on-time (or even a bit late), you won't even have a chance. And then depending on the UA agent you'll get to move you. Seats available. And I'm assuming you won't have checked bags - if so, not even an option at all.

Save yourself the stress...book the later flight, and try to relax a little bit. Even an SQ on-time arrival and you may be a bit tight for the late UA flight. That's not even a question in my mind.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If it is only $44 I'd buy both and board whichever one you make. Or book and fly the 2230 flight. Betting on an early arrival can pay off but not often.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:22 am

Programs: Cattle Class
Question Missed my flight by oversleeping in the terminal - Options?

Hi. Missed my flight. Oversleapt at the terminal. Was acheduled at 10 pm. Departed 1:38 am. That was a transatlantic. What should I ask?
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:23 am

Programs: AC P25
Originally Posted by Awtas
Hi. Missed my flight. Oversleapt at the terminal. Was acheduled at 10 pm. Departed 1:38 am. That was a transatlantic. What should I ask?
Mercy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.