Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

what is the current flat-tire rule? (Missed flight)

Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
GG FLAT TIRE (as of April 2018)

FLAT TIRE RULE:
CUSTOMERS CONTACTING UNITED WITHIN 30 MINUTES PRIOR TO DEPARTURE OR 2 HOURS AFTER DEPARTURE MAY BE REBOOKED AT NO CHARGE ON UA/UAX FLIGHTS. ALL SEGMENTS OPERATED BY OA SHOULD ONLY BE REBOOKED BY THE OPERATING CARRIER AS THEY MAY BE SUBJECT TO ADDITIONAL FEES
Flat Tire, is this referring literally to a car having a flat tire?
No, "Flat Tire" refers to a situation where one arrives too late to make a flight due to most any reason. If you show up within two hours of the original flight departure, UA generally will try to accommodate you as a low-level priority standby passenger on the next flight with standby space. Note this will only be for UA/UX flights and no guarantees on how soon UA might be able to accommodate the delayed passenger. No reason for the delay is needed (flat tire or not, does not matter).

Years ago, pre-deregulation, this was a formal rule. Nowadays, legacy USA airlines still provide this as a courtesy but they are under no obligation to provide. Note with non-USA airlines there is no such policy and you will mostly be required to purchase a new ticket.

This does not apply in a connection situation on a single ticket. The carrier creating the delay is obligated to address that situation
Print Wikipost

what is the current flat-tire rule? (Missed flight)

Old Jun 16, 2013, 4:50 pm
V9

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Pltm, Hyatt Diamond, spg Pltm
A non-refundable ticket will have no value only if you do nothing (no-show, no call, no visiting to the airport, etc.) by the end of departure day, NOT by the original departure time.

So if you miss the flight, you can still apply the value of the ticket to your new ticket, minus the changing fee. Probably that was meant to be "buy a new ticket" by someone (The new OP funkdave) from both the airline and AX.

Last edited by V9; Jun 16, 2013 at 5:09 pm
Old Jun 16, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Often1
How would that work in OP's situation?

By definition, it's after the scheduled flight, he's apparently on a discounted non-changeable ticket, and skipped a segment.
For the record, the OP for the merged thread is from April 2012. gfunkdave's post from today (June 16, 2013) is the relevant topic at hand, and it's simply someone oversleeping for a flight. I'm pretty sure the OP is all set...
Old Jun 16, 2013, 5:07 pm
V9

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Pltm, Hyatt Diamond, spg Pltm
Overselling these days is definitely an issue.

One time I was a few minutes later at the ticket counter (28 minutes, say), it's a connection to ORD for an international flight (for the same reason I could not do OLCI). I as a 1K begged the ticket counter agent, that I only had carry-on, with a BP, and going through the elite line, there is no problem to reach the gate in 20 minutes or less. She was nice and did call (gate? control?) but told me no. It turned out that the flight was oversold. Instead of having one more PAX to DB, they of course like to stick with the rule.

Another time from the same station, I took a later flight to ORD for a domestic connection. The connection time in ORD was only 15 minutes. The flight was on time, and I got to the connection gate before the gate was closed. But the GA said no. Again that was oversold and they put another PAX into my seat. But I guess since I was a 1K, she produced a ticket and sent me to an AA flight leaving within an hour (UA's own next flight would be another 3 hours).
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:31 am

Question If I miss my flight, what are my options? Will UA accommodate me on the next flight?

Hi all, a quick question regarding UA's policies. If anyone has any experiences or thoughts.

On 11/26 (Wednesday before Thanksgiving), I will be flying out of DCA. It will be tight, timing wise, for me to catch this flight.

I wanted to ask what UA's policy is for missed flights, by a few minutes. (i.e. if you're running to the gate and end up just missing it, watching the plane push back).

Will UA put you on the next flight? Or will you have to buy another ticket? Is there a fee? Or is it dependent on how nice the GA is that day?

Additional notes, I am UA Premier Silver and the fare class is United Economy (L).

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by theone1080
Hi all, a quick question regarding UA's policies. If anyone has any experiences or thoughts.

On 11/26 (Wednesday before Thanksgiving), I will be flying out of DCA. It will be tight, timing wise, for me to catch this flight.

I wanted to ask what UA's policy is for missed flights, by a few minutes. (i.e. if you're running to the gate and end up just missing it, watching the plane push back).

Will UA put you on the next flight? Or will you have to buy another ticket? Is there a fee? Or is it dependent on how nice the GA is that day?

Additional notes, I am UA Premier Silver and the fare class is United Economy (L).

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thanks.

UA will most likely put you on the next available flight without charging BUT it might be many hours or days into the future.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by nigos
UA will most likely put you on the next available flight without charging BUT it might be many hours or days into the future.
Yeah. They have a flat-tire rule where if you are to the airport within two hours, they should be able to accommodate you. Here is more information on the flat-tire rule. Might be better to try and do a same day flight change.

With Thanksgiving, I would do everything I could to make that flight. Flights are going to be rather full.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by WhyPayRent

With Thanksgiving, I would do everything I could to make that flight. Flights are going to be rather full.
Agreed. Also there is a major storm system that is due to hit the DC area and the Northeast on Wednesday ... could be lots of rain and no snow, could be no rain and lots of snow. If the latter or anywhere in between, expect even more travel headaches. To the OP: make sure you arrive in time for your original flight!

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Nov 24, 2014 at 10:00 am Reason: corrected grammar
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Will UA put you on the next flight?
Probably, but in the meantime I'd expect to eat Thanksgiving dinner at the National Airport Grill opposite gate 12.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:17 am

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

So, bottom line -- make every effort to make your flight and if all else fails, the flat tire rule.

Should be a headache of a travel day
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Actually, I think the bottom line is to make the SDC change as soon as you can for the flight that you are sure you can make, and if you get lucky and are on time to stand by for the early one.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
Actually, I think the bottom line is to make the SDC change as soon as you can for the flight that you are sure you can make, and if you get lucky and are on time to stand by for the early one.
If they have no status (I don't know, they don't say and not in profile) then the price of the SDC (Same Day Change in case OP (Original Poster) does not know abbreviation) may be prohibitive.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Baze
If they have no status (I don't know, they don't say and not in profile) then the price of the SDC (Same Day Change in case OP (Original Poster) does not know abbreviation) may be prohibitive.
??? OP clearly says that they are UA Silver:

at any rate, between the peak holiday travel day and the expected bad weather in DC, counting on SDC/standby options or open seats to bail you out of a missed flight on Wednesday is a not a bet I would take.

If I were OP, I'd do everything possible to make that flight.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:51 am

Will do. Again, thanks for all the advice
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bse118
??? OP clearly says that they are UA Silver:

at any rate, between the peak holiday travel day and the expected bad weather in DC, counting on SDC/standby options or open seats to bail you out of a missed flight on Wednesday is a not a bet I would take.

If I were OP, I'd do everything possible to make that flight.
Oops, missed that line in their post. So sorry to have wasted the bandwidth.

But don't Silvers still have to pay for SDC?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
Oops, missed that line in their post. So sorry to have wasted the bandwidth.

But don't Silvers still have to pay for SDC?
IIRC - silvers have a reduced SDC fee. Maybe $25. Probably not prohibitive for most, especially compared to $200 + fare difference.

I wouldn't count on SDC being available anyway on one of the, if not the, most traveled on day of the year. Especially in L class, even if perfect weather across the country.

Make the flight is the best advice. My guess is there will be availability on Thursday at some point (barring major IRROPS), but probably later than one wants if trying to arrive for the big holiday meal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.