Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

what is the current flat-tire rule? (Missed flight)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
GG FLAT TIRE (as of April 2018)

FLAT TIRE RULE:
CUSTOMERS CONTACTING UNITED WITHIN 30 MINUTES PRIOR TO DEPARTURE OR 2 HOURS AFTER DEPARTURE MAY BE REBOOKED AT NO CHARGE ON UA/UAX FLIGHTS. ALL SEGMENTS OPERATED BY OA SHOULD ONLY BE REBOOKED BY THE OPERATING CARRIER AS THEY MAY BE SUBJECT TO ADDITIONAL FEES
Flat Tire, is this referring literally to a car having a flat tire?
No, "Flat Tire" refers to a situation where one arrives too late to make a flight due to most any reason. If you show up within two hours of the original flight departure, UA generally will try to accommodate you as a low-level priority standby passenger on the next flight with standby space. Note this will only be for UA/UX flights and no guarantees on how soon UA might be able to accommodate the delayed passenger. No reason for the delay is needed (flat tire or not, does not matter).

Years ago, pre-deregulation, this was a formal rule. Nowadays, legacy USA airlines still provide this as a courtesy but they are under no obligation to provide. Note with non-USA airlines there is no such policy and you will mostly be required to purchase a new ticket.

This does not apply in a connection situation on a single ticket. The carrier creating the delay is obligated to address that situation
Print Wikipost

what is the current flat-tire rule? (Missed flight)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2013, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Overslept and missed flight - what to do?

A friend overslept this morning and missed his 9:30 flight on UA from PHL-ORD. He said he called United and Amex Travel, and they both told him all he could do was buy a new ticket.

Really? This seems highly unlikely to me. What's the real scoop? Can't they put him on a later flight (and probably charge a change fee of some sort)?
Old Jun 16, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Search on 'Flat Tire Rule'. Most airlines have it but do not share it. Just say unavoidable issue like car broke down, and use the phrase "flat tire rule" when you talk to UA. They should re-accommodate on another flight with no or minimal charge. But with flights at 100% capacity these days, it might take a while to get out!
Old Jun 16, 2013, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I knew it was something like that! Thanks.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
This happened to my brother last year, and UA told them that he could fly standby as long as he was at the airport within 3 (?) hours of his original departure time. There was no penalty fee.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: UA
I missed multiple domestic and international flights this year due to my own fault, N and K class fares.

I either called MP or talked to CS desk at the airport. United was very accommodating and put me one the next available flights with different routings, no fees or fare difference. Had to say bye bye to CPUs on missed flights, but always got E+ on rebooked flights.

Ironically, all mishaps did happen during MRs. Even though I ended up with more PQM, perhaps these are signs telling me to stop the mileage run insanity.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 9:39 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I knew it was something like that!
It's not something you can demand... It's still a goodwill gesture from the airline.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by ruthenium101
I missed multiple domestic and international flights this year due to my own fault, N and K class fares.

I either called MP or talked to CS desk at the airport. United was very accommodating and put me one the next available flights with different routings, no fees or fare difference. Had to say bye bye to CPUs on missed flights, but always got E+ on rebooked flights.

Ironically, all mishaps did happen during MRs. Even though I ended up with more PQM, perhaps these are signs telling me to stop the mileage run insanity.
Wow, good to hear! You should put this in the "Thank you United" thread too
Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: UA GS
Wouldn't SDC (Same Day Confirmed) also work here? I'm assuming the passenger doesn't have status, so he/she would have to pay for SDC fee. And going standby would make better financial sense. However, SDC would be an attractive option if the subsequent flights have only a few seats available and the passenger does need to be at their destination that day (rather than playing standby roulette).

Also, shouldn't the United agent have originally offered SDC instead of buying a new ticket?
Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PBAudit
Wouldn't SDC (Same Day Confirmed) also work here? I'm assuming the passenger doesn't have status, so he/she would have to pay for SDC fee. And going standby would make better financial sense. However, SDC would be an attractive option if the subsequent flights have only a few seats available and the passenger does need to be at their destination that day (rather than playing standby roulette).

Also, shouldn't the United agent have originally offered SDC instead of buying a new ticket?
Hey, this is the new UA, why give something away for free or minimal charge when you can gouge the customer for another ticket.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:55 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by blueman2
Search on 'Flat Tire Rule'. Most airlines have it but do not share it. Just say unavoidable issue like car broke down, and use the phrase "flat tire rule" when you talk to UA. They should re-accommodate on another flight with no or minimal charge. But with flights at 100% capacity these days, it might take a while to get out!
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
This happened to my brother last year, and UA told them that he could fly standby as long as he was at the airport within 3 (?) hours of his original departure time. There was no penalty fee.
This is only handled at the airport and you need to be at the airport within 2 hours (PMUA rules, not sure what the right time window is today).

Calling or showing up 4-5 hours later probably will not work.

Originally Posted by PBAudit
Wouldn't SDC (Same Day Confirmed) also work here? ....
If the individual called after the original departure, it is too late for SDC. The ticket is gone. Nonrefundable tickets are voided if not changed or cancelled prior to scheduled departure.

To need to call and make UA aware of the issue and then get to the airport quickly to make new arrangements.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Can only be done at airport, it's a CS gesture, not a policy, and it's space available behind every pax they actually are required to acommodate.

Calling in not only can sometimes not help, it can sometimes exacerbate the situatio.

So, get to the airport, be abjectly apoligetic and hope.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Baze
Hey, this is the new UA, why give something away for free or minimal charge when you can gouge the customer for another ticket.
Someone needs a dictionary before ranting again. Knowing the SDC rules might help.

Last edited by aacharya; Jun 16, 2013 at 12:53 pm
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
The flat tire rule is nice to have, though with all the revenue enhancements happening, I wouldn't be surprised if this went the way of the dodo soon. I definitely been guilty in the past of missing my flight and being pleasantly surprised to be rebooked at no additional charge.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dchen2
The flat tire rule is nice to have, though with all the revenue enhancements happening, I wouldn't be surprised if this went the way of the dodo soon. I definitely been guilty in the past of missing my flight and being pleasantly surprised to be rebooked at no additional charge.
But it only works because of actual need - if folks start expecting to be accommodated, it will go away.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Baze
How would that work in OP's situation?

By definition, it's after the scheduled flight, he's apparently on a discounted non-changeable ticket, and skipped a segment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.