Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ExpressJet RJs and exit row underseat policy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold

A few weeks back, I flew UA4531 from EWR to IAD and snagged my usual favorite seat on the ERJ-145 - exit row single seat 12A. I put my backpack fully under the seat in front of me, same backpack I've hauled over 150,000 miles in nearly 5 years.

When the FA began to make her checks, she noticed my backpack and exclaimed, "You can't have that there!" I wasn't sure at first what she was talking about, but she clarified - "You can't have anything under the seat in an exit row. You're endangering all of the passengers on this plane!" I was confused (partially because it was 5:45AM and I was bleary-eyed from my red-eye) and said, "Oh, I can't have a bag under here at all? I've never heard that before." And she nudged my bag with her foot and said, "It's always been the policy. It's very dangerous. You could hurt someone, the other passengers might not be able to get off the plane. You need to move your bag to the overhead or change seats." I immediately offered to move, switched to an empty (non-exit) seat, and put my backpack under the seat in front of me. But I'm still confused about the incident.

Is this the ExpressJet policy on underseat stowage in exit rows? United's policy? FAA policy? Anyone's policy? Looking at my FlightMemory, I've stuffed this exact backpack under the seat in dozens of ExpressJet RJ exit rows - as recently as February. I've never been told that I couldn't have it there. I know it has to be completely stowed under any seat, but this wasn't what she was asking me to do. She said that it couldn't be under the seat at all. I haven't been able to find any policy information or FT post to clarify, confirm, or counter this.

I was also really disturbed by the way the FA handled it - instead of politely asking me to move my bag, she initiated a very loud confrontation about how I was endangering the other passengers. It was embarrassing, and all eyes were on me in such a small plane (probably judging me as a dangerous, inconsiderate person who was going to get them all killed). I was very polite and immediately moved to another seat. Due to her confrontational attitude, I was actually rather worried that if I asked her any additional questions to clarify the policy (which I was genuinely curious to know for the future), she'd have me kicked off the plane. Now I'm actively avoiding the exit row, especially on these RJs, because I don't want another experience like this. I'd like to know the real policy, so I can return to 12A without fear or give up exit rows on these planes entirely.

Last edited by adastra; Apr 27, 2012 at 12:01 am
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
put my backpack there last week. I know if it isn't in front of the line they get upset, but it is probably just an FA on a power trip.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WIRunner
put my backpack there last week. I know if it isn't in front of the line they get upset, but it is probably just an FA on a power trip.
This is my assumption (and hope!) as well, but I also know that policy is always changing and enforcement can be spotty.

I'm scheduled on 2 RJs tomorrow and debating whether I'll take a chance and grab the exit row. But I'll also be carrying some delicate family property back from a funeral and really don't want to use the overhead if it's an issue again!
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Amex Plat
I don't know for sure about the official policy, but while on 12A I was once told I couldn't have my MacBook Air in the seat pocket in front of me, and thus had to put it on the floor under 11A.

Speaking of ExpressJet F/As on power trips, on another early morning trip like yours, I was told that I couldn't use my Bose QC2 at any point in flight while on 12A. That's right, not below 10 kft before the chimes as it should be, but even in cruise, as I was seated in an emergency exit and needed to hear the instructions.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ULMFlyer
Speaking of ExpressJet F/As on power trips, on another early morning trip like yours, I was told that I couldn't use my Bose QC2 at any point in flight while on 12A. That's right, not below 10 kft before the chimes as it should be, but even in cruise, as I was seated in an emergency exit and needed to hear the instructions.
Crazy.

Or should I say... "What a monster! Did you want to endanger everyone on that plane?!?"
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
I've never had that problem with 12A on the 145. Then again, different Express carriers, different FAs, different rules... Perhaps someone hadn't had enough coffee yet that morning...or maybe they'd had too much.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: Marriott LT-TE, United Gold
I don't know for sure about the official policy, but while on 12A I was once told I couldn't have my MacBook Air in the seat pocket in front of me, and thus had to put it on the floor under 11A.
That's been policy for awhile in any seat (not just exit row) on any plane IIRC. No laptops in the seat pockets since they can easily slip out if there's turbulence and hit someone. I can't recall hearing any announcement say anything about it in awhile so it's possible this changed but for awhile the FAs were very strict about this.

I had an FA tell me I couldn't listen to music in my non noise-cancelling headphones once before we pushed back so I could hear everything.

Originally Posted by cawhite
I've never had that problem with 12A on the 145. Then again, different Express carriers, different FAs, different rules... Perhaps someone hadn't had enough coffee yet that morning...or maybe they'd had too much.
I think that was the problem.

I've flown RJs countless times, almost exclusively in the exit row (either single or double seat side) and have never had an issue putting my laptop bag under the seat.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by chrisdeaner
That's been policy for awhile in any seat (not just exit row) on any plane IIRC. No laptops in the seat pockets since they can easily slip out if there's turbulence and hit someone. I can't recall hearing any announcement say anything about it in awhile so it's possible this changed but for awhile the FAs were very strict about this.
This is news to me and I've never seen it mentioned or enforced on any seat that's not at an emergency exit.

Now, my MacBook Air blends well with magazines, even though I never try to hide it. But I've seen plenty of passengers just stick their larger laptops in the seat pocket in front of them without any problem.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
This is news to me and I've never seen it mentioned or enforced on any seat that's not at an emergency exit.

Now, my MacBook Air blends well with magazines, even though I never try to hide it. But I've seen plenty of passengers just stick their larger laptops in the seat pocket in front of them without any problem.
I have heard the "no laptops in seat pockets" rule quite frequently, and not only applied to exit rows.

I once asked an f/a about this, and he told me that, in addition to the safety concerns, the airline is worried about the laptops tearing the seat pocket, meaning that it would have to incur the expense of repairing it.

I have to assume it's primarily based on weight and size, so if you have a smaller laptop or tablet, it's likely not going to be an issue.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:58 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
I have heard the "no laptops in seat pockets" rule quite frequently, and not only applied to exit rows.

I once asked an f/a about this, and he told me that, in addition to the safety concerns, the airline is worried about the laptops tearing the seat pocket, meaning that it would have to incur the expense of repairing it.

I have to assume it's primarily based on weight and size, so if you have a smaller laptop or tablet, it's likely not going to be an issue.
Yep. A Kindle, iPad or, ironically, copy of "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare" would all be just fine in the seatback - but god forbid you put a laptop in there.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Critic
Yep. A Kindle, iPad or, ironically, copy of "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare" would all be just fine in the seatback - but god forbid you put a laptop in there.
Believe it or not, I have seen f/a's request that large books be removed from seat pockets.

I suppose that doesn't happen too often, because the number of people traveling with huge tomes is pretty low...
Old Apr 24, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond

There is no such policy. It was just one particular F/A with a random policy. Real policy is that as long as it fits fully under the exit tow seat or ANY seat its okay.

As for the seat back pocket. It is true that laptops are not allowed. However I have seen over zealous Express F/A's
extend that policy into their own version to include kindles, iPads, etc...

Not sure what it is but it seems like the regional flight attendants are more likely (in my experience) to make up rules or enforce existing ones to a higher degree. On mainline they tend to be a bit more pragmatic and reasonable.

On a recent express jet experience the f/a literally gave a quiz to the exit row and made them reread the card when they couldn't answer to her satisfaction.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Maybe this FA came from LH where there is a policy of no underseat storage in exit rows. Even with months of flying around Europe, it took some getting used to.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by noah
Maybe this FA came from LH where there is a policy of no underseat storage in exit rows. Even with months of flying around Europe, it took some getting used to.
I have been told it is not allowed in Europe. A number of times when I have had Europeans seated next to me in the exit row they have expressed surprise that I was allowed to put my backpack under the seat in front.

I have flown the early flight EWR-IAD in the exit row a few times in the last two years and have never been told to remove my pack from under the seat.

Last edited by coolcoil; Apr 25, 2012 at 8:26 am Reason: fixed typo
Old Apr 25, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
This is news to me! Before I moved to SAN I lived on ERJ's in and out of ROC and always took 12A, doing exactly as OP did.

I agree with above: power tripping FA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.