Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Assigned Seating on UA/UX When Regular Economy is Full

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2012, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Free Economy is full and E+ is empty. Will we be assigned E+ at check in? Will the E+ seats get cheaper closer to departure date?

I'm sure there is a simple answer but I couldn't find through a search.

Thanks,
Deb-An infrequent UA flyer
Old Apr 23, 2012, 9:54 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by DebBrown
Free Economy is full and E+ is empty. Will we be assigned E+ at check in? Will the E+ seats get cheaper closer to departure date?

I'm sure there is a simple answer but I couldn't find through a search.

Thanks,
Deb-An infrequent UA flyer
You will get access to free E+, but only at the airport. But keep in mind, you are not guaranteed to have seats next to each other. So you could end up with middle seats on opposite sides the plane.

I would swing through United.com on a daily basis just to see if seats open up.between now and then however.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kwildnj
You will get access to free E+, but only at the airport. But keep in mind, you are not guaranteed to have seats next to each other. So you could end up with middle seats on opposite sides the plane.

I would swing through United.com on a daily basis just to see if seats open up.between now and then however.
It's a little plane with no middle seats so that's a plus.

Anyone know if they drop the E+ price in hopes of enticing us to move up?

Deb
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:01 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
It's a little plane with no middle seats so that's a plus.

Anyone know if they drop the E+ price in hopes of enticing us to move up?

Deb
Completely overlooked that question, but unlike fares or buyups to First, Economy Plus upcharges are strictly distance based and are not flexible.

See recent post where E+ was near empty and E- was packed.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:08 am
Original Poster

OK... one more question.

On this flight, some members of my family do have E- seat assignments. Can I remove them without selecting an E+ seat? I'm thinking if they don't have a seat assignment, they are more likely to get an E+ seat at no charge. Maybe not, but the seat assignments won't get worse than they are now.

Appreciate the help!

Deb
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:16 am

OK... one more question.

On this flight, some members of my family do have E- seat assignments. Can I remove them without selecting an E+ seat? I'm thinking if they don't have a seat assignment, they are more likely to get an E+ seat at no charge. Maybe not, but the seat assignments won't get worse than they are now.

Appreciate the help!

Deb

I would keep the seats you have, then when and if you get E+ seats at the airport, trade them to the E- seat mates so you can sit together.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would imagine that a number of Silvers could be on the flight who have to wait until the 24 hour mark to select E+ seats (thereby opening up more coach seats). You also need to factor in flight changes, no shows, misconnects, etc. I wouldn't really count on all coach seats being taken and wouldn't give up a aisle or window seat in coach on the theory that they will just put you in E+ for free. I don't believe there is any way to "un-assign" a seat online. Perhaps they can do it if you call in.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LBJ
I would imagine that a number of Silvers could be on the flight who have to wait until the 24 hour mark to select E+ seats (thereby opening up more coach seats). You also need to factor in flight changes, no shows, misconnects, etc. I wouldn't really count on all coach seats being taken and wouldn't give up a aisle or window seat in coach on the theory that they will just put you in E+ for free. I don't believe there is any way to "un-assign" a seat online. Perhaps they can do it if you call in.
plus dont forget that all the Carriers must leave x% of their seats unassigned till the airport, so just because the seat map shows no available E- seats doesnt mean they are all taken
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. The passengers that have seat assignments are scattered so there's no real advantage to where they are now. I will look at the t-24 time to see if any adjacent seats are available in E-.

Deb

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.