Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Said to Talk Exclusively With Boeing on 200 Jets (BusinessWeek Article)

Old Apr 23, 2012, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Way to lose the leverage in negotiations!
Unless the agreement gives them most favored nation status.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Boeing reportedly lining up large United 737 order

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...dboeing24.html

Boeing looks set to win from United Airlines an order for more than 100 single-aisle jets, which would be worth more than $5 billion after typical market discounts.

If finalized, the large order will be a big boost for Boeing's new 737 MAX in its competition with the rival Airbus A320 neo.

Bloomberg News reported from Europe Monday that United has ended sales talks with Airbus, suggesting that officials at the European jetmaker may have leaked the outcome so that news of the loss trickles out.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
BussinessWeek has another take, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...k-article.html
Old Apr 24, 2012, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Of course, none of us has flown the neo or the MAX, and neither do any of us understand the economics of the choice.

But, emotionally and physically, I clearly prefer the newer 320 planes to fly on over the newer 737s to fly on. Clearly, there's the cabin width, which will remain an advantage of the Airbus, but currently there seems to be a generally more modern feel to the interiors and the general experience - although I recognise that such may be down to the individual airlines.

Shame it's gone this way but I guess inevitable. I just hope we don't have to pay higher fares to pay for it.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 4:14 am

Programs: their are many of them
rumor on the street is UAL is still in talks with both Airbus and Boeing but on widebody aircraft....... essentialy vieing for a replacement for the 747-400..... which is showing its age.....

only time will tell though
Old Apr 24, 2012, 4:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

So it will soon be UAB747nomore
Old Apr 24, 2012, 4:54 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by TWAB747nomore
rumor on the street is UAL is still in talks with both Airbus and Boeing but on widebody aircraft....... essentialy vieing for a replacement for the 747-400..... which is showing its age.....

only time will tell though

Let's hope they get the 747-8.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 5:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Of course, none of us has flown the neo or the MAX, and neither do any of us understand the economics of the choice.

But, emotionally and physically, I clearly prefer the newer 320 planes to fly on over the newer 737s to fly on. Clearly, there's the cabin width, which will remain an advantage of the Airbus, but currently there seems to be a generally more modern feel to the interiors and the general experience - although I recognise that such may be down to the individual airlines.

Shame it's gone this way but I guess inevitable. I just hope we don't have to pay higher fares to pay for it.
Yes, on cabin width, the 320 beats the 737, but I've flown on some pretty spartan 320s which don't feel modern at all. And the newer 738's than AA has are much nicer inside then their older birds. Cabin width aside, how an aircraft is outfitted is more the taste of the airline, not Airbus or Boeing.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Agreed. LH has been releasing photos of theirs already, which is in pre-delivery status, and the plane looks fantastic. I'm looking forward to trying this plane, the 787, and the A380 all in the span of a year.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 7:48 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
+1

I hope to experience the new LH C product on a 747-8 this fall ORD-FRA.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by cheltzel
+1

I hope to experience the new LH C product on a 747-8 this fall ORD-FRA.
Oh yes, you will. You will looking forward to it. Hope you have a great flight.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AS GM, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
United puts final touches on major Boeing 737 order: sources

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...84304D20120504
Old May 3, 2012, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
The merits of Airbus and Boeing aside (there are pluses and minuses to each, IMHO), the history of the relationship between CO and Boeing goes back to the beginning of Gordon Bethune's tenure as CEO.

Bethune had been an executive at Boeing when he was hired at CO. The airline was still very much struggling at the time, and when Bethune got to CAL, he agreed to a formal exclusivity agreement with Boeing in return for a lot of financial support on the part of Boeing.

But let's just say that once CAL turned the corner, it was clear that it was their turn to pay Boeing back for helping to save the airline, and that may still be a part of the equation here...
This goes both ways.. Airbus put a lot of funding into the US Airways/America West tieup, including DIP financing in the US Bankruptcy. Guess whose planes US is ordering now?
Old May 3, 2012, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by oopsz
This goes both ways.. Airbus put a lot of funding into the US Airways/America West tieup, including DIP financing in the US Bankruptcy. Guess whose planes US is ordering now?
Sounds like Airbus learned how to do business from Boeing and CAL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.