Search

Consolidated: GPU segment questions

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2012, 1:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by username
I think it might be better than that:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...wupgrades.aspx

In most cases, the Global Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded or flown. However, for travel which includes segments in United BusinessFirst or United Global First, the Global Premier Upgrade will be re-deposited if the United BusinessFirst or United Global First segment(s) could not be upgraded.
Thank you for your reply. I didn't know about this before.

But does that mean that in my example: GRU-IAD-SFO, if GRU-IAD is not cleared, the GPU will be redeposited to my account even if the IAD-SFO segment is cleared using this GPU? i.e., I don't even need to use the RPU to replace it?
Old May 31, 2012, 5:41 am

Programs: UA 1K
"Automatically change to RPU" would actually be a customer takeback. If your intl segment doesn't clear, you should get an instrument-supported upgrade on the domestic segment for free.

The published policy is that if you apply a GPU to GRU-IAD-SFO and GRU-IAD never clears but IAD-SFO does clear, your net out of pocket number of upgrade certificates should be 0 GPUs and nothing else.
Old May 31, 2012, 6:03 am

Programs: nobody
Originally Posted by mherdeg
"Automatically change to RPU" would actually be a customer takeback. If your intl segment doesn't clear, you should get an instrument-supported upgrade on the domestic segment for free.

The published policy is that if you apply a GPU to GRU-IAD-SFO and GRU-IAD never clears but IAD-SFO does clear, your net out of pocket number of upgrade certificates should be 0 GPUs and nothing else.
This is true in most cases as long as IAD-SFO is not flown with a plane with businessFirst cabin.
Old May 31, 2012, 6:29 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by mobilebucky
This is true in most cases as long as IAD-SFO is not flown with a plane with businessFirst cabin.
I think you may be incorrect on this. From what I know, even if the plane has a BF cabin, its considered a domestic FC flight. If your over water segment doesn't clear and the domestic segment does, you get the domestic segment gratis.

and for you PMUA folks, perhaps this is a PMCO enhancement that is a real enhancement.
Old May 31, 2012, 7:03 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by hughw
From what I know, even if the plane has a BF cabin, its considered a domestic FC flight. If your over water segment doesn't clear and the domestic segment does, you get the domestic segment gratis.
true. lie flats or not, if it's flown domestically it's a domestic flight.
Old May 31, 2012, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The policy seems to look at things the other way. That is - if your BF or GF "segment(s)" do not clear, you get your GPU back:

However, for travel which includes segments in United BusinessFirst or United Global First, the Global Premier Upgrade will be re-deposited if the United BusinessFirst or United Global First segment(s) could not be upgraded.

The "segment(s)" is still a little confusing for me. For example, if you did FLL-EWR-NRT-BKK, you get FLL-EWR upgraded and:

1 - You get upgraded on EWR-NRT (but not NRT-BKK), do you get the GPU back?
2 - You get upgraded on NRT-BKK (but not EWR-NRT), do you get the GPU back?

I guess the question is: is it "any of the" or "all of the" segment(s)?

Or, if you do FLL-EWR-NRT-TPE:

1 - You don't get upgraded EWR-NRT but you get upgraded NRT-TPE within the 24 hour window, can you argue NRT-TPE is CPU and get your GPU back?

Thanks.

Last edited by username; May 31, 2012 at 1:40 pm
Old Jun 9, 2012, 3:29 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Anyone have experience with changing a flight with a waitlisted GPU? Will the GPUs automatically transfer to the new flight, or do you need to manually re-apply them? And if they don't transfer automatically to the new flight, do the just vanish, forcing you to call in and have them reinstated?

I'm trying to decide between making the change to my existing itinerary online or calling an agent and potentially wasting time but being able to talk through the upgrades (although perhaps with more risk on a Sunday). Not sure what's riskier at this point.

Last edited by SFOTurtle; Jun 10, 2012 at 8:28 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.