Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Crew in First?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2012, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
But I'll say as I always do, if you want that FC seat for sure, buy it. Otherwise, if you're playing the upgrade roulette you can't get upset if you don't get the upgrade.

AD
I don't get it? Did you read this thread? The entire thread is about a passenger who had a PAID F ticket and he was downgraded so a pilot could have his seat.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 7:38 pm

Programs: Switched from UA 1K to AA so I could earn EQD's on partners. Mid-tier on most major hotel programs.
We can all weigh in about whether we think UA has made a wise decision or not by putting F-class provisions into union contracts. . . but in this particular case, it sounds like (again, I obviously wasn't there) the only person who did something wrong was the FA who unnecessarily provided situational color that was bound to annoy the paying customers and embarrass the pilot (and pilots in general).
Old Mar 12, 2012, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Weez_1000
I don't get it? Did you read this thread? The entire thread is about a passenger who had a PAID F ticket and he was downgraded so a pilot could have his seat.
Not exactly. It was about a passenger who had a paid FC ticket on a different flight...

He was accommodated in a lower class of service and, according to the CoC, will receive a refund for the downgrade.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 7:41 pm

What TWA Fan said.

AD
Old Mar 12, 2012, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Not exactly. It was about a passenger who had a paid FC ticket on a different flight...

He was accommodated in a lower class of service and, according to the CoC, will receive a refund for the downgrade.
What TWA Fan said.

AD
Ahh I get it. UA screws up his flight, creates a misconnect and you say if you want to sit in F, buy F. Its becoming more clear now.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by par
So if this is a benefit and part of compensation, then what is the tax implication? When I get miles as part of a bank account I get taxed for it. When I get it as a part of travelling it's a form of a rebate so there is no tax. When an employee gets this benefit, particularly when it is an upgrade that is provided without earning it (ie no form of rebate as it would be when it redeemed as part of customer loyalty) then how are employees taxed for that benefit?

It seems to me that everytime I meet a pilots wife in international first, and they tell me they travel a lot but never pays for it followed by my husband is up front and got me this seat -I always wonder shouldn't they full tax in this benefit? A 36% tax on a $6,000 benefit suggest that they should owe about 2k. I have friends who are pilots who tell me they don't pay any tax on negotiated benefits. Why is that? I have also travel benefits as part of my compensation. I pay full tax on that benefit.
There are taxable benefits and there are untaxed benefits.

In the case of deadheading, the employee (the pilot), is being transported by the company to his/her next assignment. Benefits of this type are classified as a "condition of employment," and thus are not taxed.

Ultimately it's not so different than Joe Average riding the company shuttle from Bldg A to Bldg B in the company complex, except in this case it's a multi-hour flight to go from City A to City B, before a work shift that, per FAA rules, requires pilots to meet certain rest criteria.

No employee is taxed to ride the employee shuttle, and no pilot is taxed to deadhead, regardless of the class of service he/she rides in.

Of course, a first class seat is much more expensive than a seat on the company shuttle, but the fact that pilots receive this benefit is a reflection of the type of work they do, which requires them to be tremendously alert to ensure the safety of their passengers.

Last edited by TWA Fan 1; Mar 12, 2012 at 7:55 pm
Old Mar 12, 2012, 7:48 pm

Ahh I get it. UA screws up his flight, creates a misconnect and you say if you want to sit in F, buy F. Its becoming more clear now.
It's no different than if that FC cabin was full of paid passengers. While he was bumped back to this flight, which is unfortunate I agree, you wouldn't disadvantage now another FC customer would you? Of course not. Now if there was an upgraded passenger in FC, which I'm betting there was, that would be the one to downgrade.

As it was, we have to assume the whole FC cabin was a paid cabin, so the OP will be treated as every downgraded passenger, refund of any monies or miles, and probably an ecert or something.

AD
Old Mar 12, 2012, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA screws up his flight is not necessarily the reason...I don't think the OP stated the reason for the change of flight...which could be anything from weather related, to the passenger in question arriving late at the airport, to UA screwing it up...but we just don't know.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Worldbuilder

That's not the worst part...this guy had PAID for a FC ticket to Amsterdam. UA screwed up his travel, forced a missed flight, and put his butt in COACH on this flight while a PILOT sat in a First Class seat.

J-
I have no reason to believe the OP doesn't know what he was talking about.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 7:56 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

As it was, we have to assume the whole FC cabin was a paid cabin,

AD
On UA? Now that's funny!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
On UA? Now that's funny!
True

AD
Old Mar 12, 2012, 8:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
This whole discussion is utterly ridiculous

UA acted in complete compliance with their contract with the pilot and accommodated the passenger as stipulated in the contract of carriage.

OP should be annoyed at the GA who acted inappropriately by discussing the pilot in front of him.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 8:03 pm

It's no different than if that FC cabin was full of paid passengers. While he was bumped back to this flight, which is unfortunate I agree, you wouldn't disadvantage now another FC customer would you? Of course not. Now if there was an upgraded passenger in FC, which I'm betting there was, that would be the one to downgrade.

As it was, we have to assume the whole FC cabin was a paid cabin, so the OP will be treated as every downgraded passenger, refund of any monies or miles, and probably an ecert or something.

AD
I asked your colleague this question earlier and he was unclear. Is this in fact the proper order for downgrades?

Upgraded
Award Ticket
Paid F?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 8:05 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
This whole discussion is utterly ridiculous

UA acted in complete compliance with their contract with the pilot and accommodated the passenger as stipulated in the contract of carriage.

OP should be annoyed at the GA who acted inappropriately by discussing the pilot in front of him.
Any you know this how?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 8:13 pm

We've pretty much gone full circle in the past week or so ---

Employee gives his main squeeze a peck on the lips, on the jet way, and she waltzes to a F/C seat --- Denying a status guy his rightful upgrade.

Ma & Pa Kettle do the buy-up rumba and status flyers become trump victims.

A guy decides that he doesn't want anyone cutting-in and decides that he will stay partnered with his wife/gf and gives his F/C u/g to a soldier and the guy behind them goes ape s--- because an OP thinks another guy was the next on the list.

A pilot is sitting in F/C and an OP decides that a GS (who may or may not have purchased a F/C seat) needs some help with the "Quick Step" and decides that it ain't right that a pilot is sitting in someone else's seat!

3 of the 4 incidents above are people (and I'm not so sure if it ain't all 4) sticking their noses in other peoples business, and not one shred of evidence has been proven that any rules have been broken, and mostly everything written and responded to is pure speculation as to what really occurred.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.