Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What would you do? Worth the miles/$$$ for upgrade.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What would you do? Worth the miles/$$$ for upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: CO Plat, *A Gold (all peacefully retired)
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Row 21 is a perfectly decent place to be for 3 hours
How about the return? They show a 757-200 flat bed config...row 7 is empty. Go with 7 or stick with 21?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by rbrenton88
How about the return? They show a 757-200 flat bed config...row 7 is empty. Go with 7 or stick with 21?
Row 7 any day of the week. The inventory will be R, which gets you exactly the same EQM and RDM under normal circumstances.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by rbrenton88
Just keep in mind, that first class seat could have been yours for 25k miles and 2.50 for a reward ticket.

Also, not sure what you paid for your ticket, but for 671.00 you can flat out buy a first class ticket any flight tomorrow.

20,000 miles will get you one-way to Hawaii.

People are regularly being offered upgrades for under 100.00 and no miles.

Use those as a guide if you think 20,000 miles plus 75.00 is worth it.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 4:00 pm

You paid for an ELR seat as a Plat?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by fragment54
I don't think they are plat anymore. Isn't the $75 fee for non-elites to upgrade to first on domestic flights?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
There is no $75 copay if you're Plat. It's 20,000 miles to upgrade..no copay.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by kwildnj
Just keep in mind, that first class seat could have been yours for 25k miles and 2.50 for a reward ticket.

Also, not sure what you paid for your ticket, but for 671.00 you can flat out buy a first class ticket any flight tomorrow.

20,000 miles will get you one-way to Hawaii.

People are regularly being offered upgrades for under 100.00 and no miles.

Use those as a guide if you think 20,000 miles plus 75.00 is worth it.
+1

this offer is a rip off.

I would wait for $49 TOD offer.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
why did you pay $49 for the exit row? you are Plat unless your information is not up to date.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
This would be a major waste of money and miles!
Old Apr 20, 2012, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by fragment54
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
There is no $75 copay if you're Plat. It's 20,000 miles to upgrade..no copay.
Yep, something isn't right,.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: CO Plat, *A Gold (all peacefully retired)
I am not a plat, I am nothing. That is what "Peacefully retired" means.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:35 pm

First class upgrade questions

I am flying ORD to CUN (3.5 hours) and am currently in Economy Plus, since that was all that was available when I booked the flight. So, I had to pay about $39 (each seat) above the price on united.com to book the flight. That I don't mind.

I see that first class is pretty empty for this flight at the moment. To upgrade there, it would be $225 each. So, the difference to first class from what I am already paying 'extra' is $372.

For a flight of that length, is it worth it? Will I get the increased award mile earnings since I upgraded, or will it stick to the original booked class? The flight is currently booked as class E.

Sorry for the questions, all of this is new to me. I barely flew before this year, and now I seem to be going places.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
It took me a few minutes to figure out your math. Just to confirm, your calculation re: paying $372 extra is ...

$225 buy-up x 2 tickets - $78 already spent on E+?

If so, you should be aware that United officially considers E+ purchases to be non-refundable even in the case of an upgrade, so you may not be able to count on getting the $78 rebated. Unofficially, though, some people have had luck getting agents to refund E+ in the event of an upgrade.

Given that, based on your questions, you're non-elite, I think that the lowest fare bucket that will confirm you into first/business on that route is P, you should earn 150% RDM and EQM if you pay for an upgrade (but I'm not super-confident on that).

As for value, I think that this is something that you'll have to decide for yourself. If you're on a ticket in the E fare bucket, you've already paid quite a bit for your ticket, so it may be worth it to make the trip more special (especially if you're travelling with someone special) ... although, to be clear, first class on United isn't all that special anyway. Having said that, if you're on the fence and don't really mind sitting in E+, you may want to consider waiting until check-in to see if you get a buy-up offer. If you get an upgrade offer at check-in, I would expect it to be closer $100 per ticket ... just be sure to check in early so you're ahead of others who get similar offers.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 8:11 pm

I was talking to someone at United on the phone (switched row on economy plus, for $5 more per seat, and the first upgrade was refunded), and she stated that if I choose to go to First, the economy plus upgrade would be refunded. But yes, that is where my math came from.

We just booked the flight yesterday and will travel in 2 weeks, so there a bit of a premium there. The price on the resort makes up for it.

It does appear that waiting/watching the price might be worth it. I've just never flown above economy plus, and this seemed kind of reasonable for the price. Worst case is, we still have decent legroom (we're both under 5'7" - the only plus of being short).
Old Dec 26, 2012, 4:29 pm

Dakuda, yes, UA (site and by phone) told me the same thing: that I don't lose the E+ fee if I further upgrade to first. I'm not sure if the new upgrade fee would reflect a deduction for the E+ fee or if I would be charged the full upgrade fee to F and then have to process a refund request for the E+ fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.