Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United & Hawaiian Airlines: Interlining bags, bag fees & other connecting experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA and Hawaiian Air (HA) will interline bags.

When checking-in with HA, no UA elite / credit card bag waivers will be recognized. Bag allowance will be based on ticket rules.

HA's policy on inter-island / Neighbor Island flights is no free bags in economy.
Print Wikipost

United & Hawaiian Airlines: Interlining bags, bag fees & other connecting experiences

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2021, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ou5603
If it is a separate ticket, I am pretty sure I will pay HA for luggage fee.
I got the ITO-HNL from UA award booking, so it is part of the multi-city trip. and that is why I am not clear about the luggage fee.
Yeah, you’ll pay a luggage fee to Hawaiian, but it will be UA’s normal fee. Hawaiian has option to apply their fee in lieu of UA’s if it’s cheaper. Either way, you won’t pay more than UA’s normal (non-waived) baggage charges.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Pretty sure if ITO-HNL even on an 016 ticket, HA is collecting its own bag fees. They are less than UA's anyway.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 12:51 pm

Programs: United Gold
Last month, we took a trip to Vegas, OGG-HNL-LAX- LAS, first leg on HA. We were charged $50 for 2 bags at check-in.

For the return flight, we had 4 bags to check, LAS-LAX-HNL-OGG, HA from HNL to OGG. When check-in at United, we were informed that HA is charging $150 per bag, $600 total, agent shared the screen to confirm.

I am Platinum, was flying FC with my wife. I didn't want to argue with the agent and paid $300 for 2 bags. Upon return, called the premier line and got the fees credited back to my CC. This was the first time I was charged a luggage fee coming home flying on United with HA for the last lag.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Saw this thread and I think I know the answers but will ask to verify especially since this will be my first time doing an HA to another airline on the same ticket. Previously I've only done the transfer at HNL on separate tickets from HA to another airline which has required claiming bags at the inter-island terminal, lugging them to the other terminal, and re-checking them.

I have LIH-HNL-SFO, booked through UA in F on both legs (even the HA LIH-HNL is in F). The HA leg is marketed by UA (my itinerary has a UA flight number).

I do know I check-in with HA as the operating carrier for the first leg. I presume but am looking to verify:
- My bags will be tagged through to SFO (I will not have to claim at HNL and recheck at main-terminal; I can stay airside and proceed to the UA gates after getting off plane from LIH)
**Assuming this is true, I do know my checked bags will be required to go through agricultural inspection at LIH
- I will be checked-in for and receive boarding passes for my HNL-SFO leg when I check in at LIH
Old Nov 3, 2021, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Saw this thread and I think I know the answers but will ask to verify especially since this will be my first time doing an HA to another airline on the same ticket. Previously I've only done the transfer at HNL on separate tickets from HA to another airline which has required claiming bags at the inter-island terminal, lugging them to the other terminal, and re-checking them.

I have LIH-HNL-SFO, booked through UA in F on both legs (even the HA LIH-HNL is in F). The HA leg is marketed by UA (my itinerary has a UA flight number).

I do know I check-in with HA as the operating carrier for the first leg. I presume but am looking to verify:
- My bags will be tagged through to SFO (I will not have to claim at HNL and recheck at main-terminal; I can stay airside and proceed to the UA gates after getting off plane from LIH)
**Assuming this is true, I do know my checked bags will be required to go through agricultural inspection at LIH
- I will be checked-in for and receive boarding passes for my HNL-SFO leg when I check in at LIH
You will get HA BP and will be able to check bag(s) through. HA might not provide a UA BP. For a long time, HA did provide UA BPs (which the receoptionists always re-printed at the UC), but my more recent experiences were that HA did not and I had to get one at HNL Don't know if it's reverted.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You will get HA BP and will be able to check bag(s) through. HA might not provide a UA BP. For a long time, HA did provide UA BPs (which the receoptionists always re-printed at the UC), but my more recent experiences were that HA did not and I had to get one at HNL Don't know if it's reverted.
Good to know on the boarding pass. At least we have a semi-long layover at HNL so plenty of time to get one. I’m not technically a UC member but they advertise allowing military in, which IME has always been on a Space-A basis, so hopefully I can access the UC during part of our layover and get the BP there if I don’t get one at LIH. Or would the BP display in the UA app after I’m checked in?
Old Nov 3, 2021, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Good to know on the boarding pass. At least we have a semi-long layover at HNL so plenty of time to get one. I’m not technically a UC member but they advertise allowing military in, which IME has always been on a Space-A basis, so hopefully I can access the UC during part of our layover and get the BP there if I don’t get one at LIH. Or would the BP display in the UA app after I’m checked in?
I've been to the UC during the morning - afternoon - evening and generally isn't really busy. Make sure you bring your VAX card, you cannot get in without it.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...would the BP display in the UA app after I’m checked in?
It might. If not, reception can print one.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 7:07 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Reading through the chain.. am I right in that a 016, same ticket HA KOA-HNL Y -> UA HNL-ORD F, that I'll have to pay bag fees on check-in with HA? Itinerary on UA website says I get free bags, based on it being F (or rather, later a C flight following).
Old Dec 4, 2021, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I have thankfully always avoided it by making an SDC, but yes that is the consensus here. HA does not play nice with its interline partners.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by findark
I have thankfully always avoided it by making an SDC, but yes that is the consensus here. HA does not play nice with its interline partners.
In this context what is a SDC? My layover KOA-HNL // HNL-ORD is 5 hours. Same ticket.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MDTyKe
In this context what is a SDC? My layover KOA-HNL // HNL-ORD is 5 hours. Same ticket.
Same-day change. For example, to KOA-ORD nonstop if it is operating on your dates, or to KOA-DEN-ORD. Something that eliminates the HA segment.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by findark
Same-day change. For example, to KOA-ORD nonstop if it is operating on your dates, or to KOA-DEN-ORD. Something that eliminates the HA segment.
That's what I thought, but couldn't make sense of it - but I see what you're saying now.. you'd just avoid HA altogether.. got it!
Old Dec 5, 2021, 11:55 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Oh this is good timing -- I just was trying to find an appropriate thread to ask:

So just to confirm the above, if I buy for example an itinerary LAX-OGG-HNL-KOA-LAX, (UA-HA-HA-UA), for each of those 1-stop directions I could SDC to a nonstop LAX-HNL-LAX if it's available? Does the availability needed go according the fare bucket of the original UA leg? (or does the pair of flights in a direction always have the same fare class anyway)?
Old Dec 5, 2021, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
I wouldn’t count on that as officially SDC doesn’t apply when the first segment is operated by a different carrier. You can change without any change fee if on a 016 ticket number but difference in fare applies.

Anyway, the connection in HNL is smooth, and the only annoying things are paying the fee to Hawaiian for the Inter island segment and whether HA is able to print boarding passes for the connection, always a hit or miss for me.

Originally Posted by MDTyKe
That's what I thought, but couldn't make sense of it - but I see what you're saying now.. you'd just avoid HA altogether.. got it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.