Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United & Hawaiian Airlines: Interlining bags, bag fees & other connecting experiences

Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA and Hawaiian Air (HA) will interline bags.

When checking-in with HA, no UA elite / credit card bag waivers will be recognized. Bag allowance will be based on ticket rules.

HA's policy on inter-island / Neighbor Island flights is no free bags in economy.
Print Wikipost

United & Hawaiian Airlines: Interlining bags, bag fees & other connecting experiences

Old Mar 24, 2020, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If you check in online w/HA, HA no longer provides a United BP, just a page that has your UA flight info on it (although they do check you in to your United flight in the background). Your boarding pass will, however, appear in the United app soon after check-in with HA or you can get a BP from a UA agent at gate (no need to go out through security). Not sure if in-person check-in w/ HA gets you a UA BP because I never check a bag.
Glad to hear the BP appears in the app now. Last time I went through this, I had to physically check in with UA after first segment on HA. Asked why they was necessary and was sent an email from an ignorant rep who said that HA "never" gave UA BPs. Sent an attachment proving otherwise with a polite note (didn't ask but was hoping for a few miles) but didn't get an acknowledgement of or apology for their mistake, and of course no apology for effectively calling me a liar.

Last edited by mathprof; Mar 24, 2020 at 5:30 am
Old Mar 24, 2020, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mathprof
Glad to hear the BP appears in the app now. Last time I went through this, I had to physically check in with UA after first segment on HA. Asked why they was necessary and was sent an email from an ignorant rep who said that HA "never" gave UA BPs. Sent an attachment proving otherwise with a polite note (didn't ask but was hoping for a few miles) but didn't get an acknowledgement of or apology for their mistake, and of course no apology for effectively calling me a liar.
You're right, at one time HA did provide UA BPs for connecting flights, but that stopped maybe two years ago or so. I would usually have time to visit UC before a mainland flight and the agents there always seemed to swap it for a UA-printed BP for whatever reason. Getting the BP on the app is helpful if one is fortunate in timing and access privileges to visit the ANA lounge - no need to get BP from UA agent and backtrack to lounge.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 6:31 pm

Programs: Executive Platinum
I have never been excited to be going home.

As a refresher, I are are flying OGG to HNL to ORD. I obtained the ticket from United after United cancelled my direct flight from OGG -ORD. I had purchased a First class return ticket. The revised return flight was actually ticketed as economy (OGG to HNL) because there was no availability on HA First Class on the first leg. Then First on United from HNL to OGG a flat lay down red eye.
Everyone had me prepared for what was likely to happen, and I thought I would share my experience.
I checked in at OGG this morning. I was not surprised when they charged me for my luggage. I challenged him mildly, by acting surprised reminding him that I was flying First Class on the next leg. But as people stated the Ticket Agent stated that I was not in First on the Hawaiian leg. I just paid the fee and I will request a refund from United. I saved a screenshot on the luggage charges, when you purchase a ticket that stated $0. If you try to purchased a ticket on United from OGG to HNL to ORD, it clearly states that there is not luggage charge in First.

HA was able to check my luggage to ORD and printed out two boarding passes including the United one from HNL to ORD. So perhaps HA has modified this process?

The flight OGG to HNL was quick with no very many passengers.

Personally I think the HA policy is BS especially for about a 20 minute flight. Maybe a problem on the United Website?

I am now waiting for my United HNL to ORD flight. As expected the airport does is not busy at all. Trying to keep my social distance as much as possible.

Thank you for the assistance.
jsloan and AirbusFan2B like this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jagoffee
...HA was able to check my luggage to ORD and printed out two boarding passes including the United one from HNL to ORD. So perhaps HA has modified this process?....
Looks like one can get boarding pass from HA when you check in at the airport, but not online.
jagoffee likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 2:58 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
To the last person, you didn’t fly OGG-HNL in first, even then, you wouldn’t likely have been allowed 3-70lb bags.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 26, 2020 at 10:08 am Reason: Discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:06 pm

Programs: Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
To the last person, you didn’t fly OGG-HNL in first, even then, you wouldn’t likely have been allowed 3-70lb bags.
two 70 lbs bags? Or just two 50 lbs bag for HA First Class?

This is what United.com says about the baggage fees when booking my particular flight.

United has started serving all First Class drinks in the small plastic cups, just to be safe.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jagoffee

This is what United.com says about the baggage fees when booking my particular flight.
Send your receipt from Hawaiian and your receipt from United to United for reimbursement. Hawaiian, for as long as I remember, does not honor the United ticket receipt and always collects the interisland bag fee - it doesn't matter if you are elite or connecting to F
jagoffee likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 8:29 am

Will United Interline My Baggage?

I booked a flight to HNL on United. My final destination is KOA but it was cheaper to book the HNL-KOA leg via Hawaiian Airlines. I know if I just book through Hawaiian I will have to retrieve my bags inHNL and re-check in for my flight to KOA.

However, for 7500 UA miles I can book the same HNL-KOA flight.

If I do this will (1) United interline my baggage and (2) I avoid Hawaiian baggage fees?

Mahalo
Old Jul 20, 2020, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milemonkey
If I do this will (1) United interline my baggage and (2) I avoid Hawaiian baggage fees?
You can ask, but the official policy is that UA will not interline onto a non-*A airline. Ticket stock doesn't make a difference. UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
Old Jul 20, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
You can ask, but the official policy is that UA will not interline onto a non-*A airline. Ticket stock doesn't make a difference. UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
I don't see why UA wouldn't check a bag that connects to a flight ticketed as a UA MileagePlus award.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 8:57 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I don't see why UA wouldn't check a bag that connects to a flight ticketed as a UA MileagePlus award.
Because it is outside the written policy?
Old Jul 21, 2020, 10:15 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Not to mention and this very thread details this, but your UA status is worthless on HA, bag fees will apply unless it was booked as one ticket and only with UA as your first flight.
bluedemon211 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 21, 2020 at 10:48 am Reason: Removed OT content
Old Jul 21, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Not to mention and this very thread details this, but your UA status is worthless on HA, bag fees will apply unless it was booked as one ticket and only with UA as your first flight.
WRT interlining bags from UA to HA, folks will still need to pay HA's fees. Or perhaps pack lighter and not have to check bags.

David

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 21, 2020 at 10:48 am Reason: Removed response to deleted content
Old Jul 21, 2020, 10:45 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Let's get back to HA bag interline issue and use one of the dozen other Hawaii threads for quarantine discussions.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jul 22, 2020, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by milemonkey
I booked a flight to HNL on United. My final destination is KOA but it was cheaper to book the HNL-KOA leg via Hawaiian Airlines. I know if I just book through Hawaiian I will have to retrieve my bags inHNL and re-check in for my flight to KOA.

However, for 7500 UA miles I can book the same HNL-KOA flight.

Mahalo
With a return of an interisland travel ban, not only will HA not accept your bags from UA, but they will deny you boarding onto KOA. Best bet is to keep the itinerary on one UA ticket and check bags on that single ticket. If the interisland travel ban returns, UA will at least protect you and your bags.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.