Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United & Hawaiian Airlines: Interlining bags, bag fees & other connecting experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA and Hawaiian Air (HA) will interline bags.

When checking-in with HA, no UA elite / credit card bag waivers will be recognized. Bag allowance will be based on ticket rules.

HA's policy on inter-island / Neighbor Island flights is no free bags in economy.
Print Wikipost

United & Hawaiian Airlines: Interlining bags, bag fees & other connecting experiences

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

As a Hawaii resident and monthly traveler to mainland, I can assure you that the HA’s normal procedure is not to interline on separate tickets. You may have run into s period (or agent?) where HA would, but probably not productive to suggest that interlining is no problem or that it is HA’’s policy when in fact there is nothing in HA’s history or bag wording to support such an assertion. the record is definitely mixed.

probably best to say one should expect to not get the interlining (for planning purposes) and be pleasantly surprised if it works. Don’t need travelers making flight plans assuming bags will certainly be interlined.
Actually, I think you said it best previously, with this statement:

"I should read better - OP originating in LIH. OP will pay fees to HA no matter what and mileage varies as to whether agent will check through. HA also has no obligation to check through to UA. HA says they'll deliver baggage to the "final destination on theticket" (that, which includes the Hawaiian flight), not "final destination on the tickets".

That's the official policy. I reported (and others within this thread) that success on a HA to UA interisland/mainline separately ticketed itineraries has been successful. And, as always, YMMV. To not offer this as a possible alternative is rather short-sighted, especially given the general savviness of FT posters.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:01 pm

And then hawiian left my bag at LIH and wasn’t able to tell me where it is or when it will come.

totally unhelpful and dismissive.

UA stepped in to try to get them to foreword to Newark

we will I’ll see what happens.

this agent made the grumpiest UA agents look downright friendly
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:02 am

seperate tickets

hey guys does it matter if you book the seperate ticket as a UA award? will they interline then? such as:
iad-hnl(paid biz) ua award on ha hnl-ogg? i saw some people say 1k can get away with it, what about platinum?
also what about the reverse?
lih-hnl, then hnl-iad, will they check through if i pay the fee to ha? i just dont want to have to pick up and recheck etc.,

sorry if this is repetitive.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:14 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Your flights must be on 1 ticket to interline. HA and UA only play nice with each other when its on a single ticket; when it isnt, you must claim and recheck your bags in Hawaii.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: United 1K ; Marriott Titanium (Lifetime)
Charge for Baggage Fees when checking in on Hawaiian Airlines flight?

Hi,

I have a flight coming up in April OGG-HNL-IAD. The main leg (HNL-IAD) is in Award First Class (and I am 1K) so I would not normally pay any baggage fees. The upfront leg, OGG(Maui)-HNL(Honolulu) is on Hawaiian Airlines (coach). The entire ticket was "purchased" using award miles (single itinerary) on United.

My question is -- When I check in at the Hawaiian ticket counter at OGG and check my bags through all the way to IAD (inter-line) will I be charged for baggage fees? Does anyone have any experience here?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
My receipt tells me how many pieces and the price for additional luggage.

For example, on a LH flight booked on an 016 ticket the LH flights only get one piece of checked luggage vs the UA flights on the same ticket get two pieces.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
My receipt tells me how many pieces and the price for additional luggage.

For example, on a LH flight booked on an 016 ticket the LH flights only get one piece of checked luggage vs the UA flights on the same ticket get two pieces.
Thanks. One difference is that LH is part of Star Alliance and Hawaiian Airlines is not
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by hillta1
Thanks. One difference is that LH is part of Star Alliance and Hawaiian Airlines is not
I flew KOA HNL IAD in Y last year as a 1K on a UA award ticket and did have to pay for the bag in KOA. But as stated above, your ticket receipt should show what, if any, charges apply.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:43 am

Thank you. Did not realize it was on the ticket receipt (duh!)

Receipt claims $0 charge
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
You do not get any 1K checked bag benefits at a Hawaiian counter. United clearly states 1K bag fee waivers are only applicable at United or United Express counters. Since Hawaiian is not Star Alliance, you do not get a *A bag waiver either.

Normal bag fees and/or allowances apply.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
US law requires that the e-ticket receipt show the bag fee for first and second bags by segment. It is always the place to look first as it is what the check-in agent will see. If it is possibly incorrect, the time to fix it is now, not standing at some airport counter.

In this case, while HA does not provide *G benefits as it is not a *A carrier, OP is ticketed in F and that includes a baggage allowance as well.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I'm pretty sure since the underlying fare is originally ticketed in First, you should be getting the HA F allowance for OGG-IAD. Sounds like the receipt reflects this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Hawaiian Airlines could care less what your receipt says for baggage fees - they are not exactly a flier friendly airline for other airline frequent fliers. Be prepared to pay the fee.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by findark
I'm pretty sure since the underlying fare is originally ticketed in First, you should be getting the HA F allowance for OGG-IAD. Sounds like the receipt reflects this.
Not clear, but I'm assuming OP is describing a return trip w/ outbound on UA. OP (if so) gets UA bag allowance, not HA's.

If OP was in coach HNL-IAD, OP would definitely be coughing up bag fees at OGG. In F, should get 2 70lb bags free.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Not clear, but I'm assuming OP is describing a return trip w/ outbound on UA. OP (if so) gets UA bag allowance, not HA's.

If OP was in coach HNL-IAD, OP would definitely be coughing up bag fees at OGG. In F, should get 2 70lb bags free.
I have a flight coming up in April OGG-HNL-IAD. The main leg (HNL-IAD) is in Award First Class (and I am 1K) so I would not normally pay any baggage fees. The upfront leg, OGG(Maui)-HNL(Honolulu) is on Hawaiian Airlines (coach).

HA won;t care about the HNL-IAD flight - they care about the OGG-HNL leg......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.