Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United & Hawaiian Airlines: Interlining bags, bag fees & other connecting experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA and Hawaiian Air (HA) will interline bags.

When checking-in with HA, no UA elite / credit card bag waivers will be recognized. Bag allowance will be based on ticket rules.

HA's policy on inter-island / Neighbor Island flights is no free bags in economy.
Print Wikipost

United & Hawaiian Airlines: Interlining bags, bag fees & other connecting experiences

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2018, 5:53 am

Thanks so much for clarifying WineCountry. Wasted my time registering everyone for Hawaiian air frequent flyer and attempting to adjust passenger frequent flyer account for this discount. -
Since passengers can just pay discounted fare online.

Hopefully this will help others out as well.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 6:04 pm

Traveling OGG-SFO in Hawaiian First and then connecting to United SFO-ORD in F as well.

Will Hawaiian interline my bags in Maui to UA for my flight to ORD? Or will I have get my bags in SFO and recheck into United?

Thanks!
Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by milemonkey
Traveling OGG-SFO in Hawaiian First and then connecting to United SFO-ORD in F as well.

Will Hawaiian interline my bags in Maui to UA for my flight to ORD? Or will I have get my bags in SFO and recheck into United?

Thanks!
if both flights are on one ticket, HA will interline and you don’t have to deal w/ bags in SF. If they’re separate tickets HA (usually) won’t interline.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 8, 2018 at 8:48 pm
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If they’re separate tickets HA (usually) won’t interline.
I have had no problem getting HA inter-island ticket to interline to a separate ticketed UA return to the mainline. However, had to pay bag fees.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:55 am

They're two separate tickets. However, both the HA and UA flights are in F so no fees to worry about. Sounds like I just have to ask nicely at HA checkin in Maui if they will interline.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Very unlikely for them to do a cross-alliance split-ticket interline, but doesn't hurt to ask!
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:37 pm

Inter line from Hawaiian to UAL

i have two different tickets an award ticket with UAL from HNL to EWR and a Hawaiian airlines ticket from LIH-HNL

is there any way to get them to book the bag all the way through?

im a 1k at united but not status on Hawaiian. Flying first on ual and coach on hawiian

im assuming it’s not possible but figured I’d ask

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 21, 2018 at 8:05 pm Reason: merged into existing thread
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by jp12687
i have two different tickets an award ticket with UAL from HNL to EWR and a Hawaiian airlines ticket from LIH-HNL

is there any way to get them to book the bag all the way through?

im a 1k at united but not status on Hawaiian. Flying first on ual and coach on hawiian

im assuming it’s not possible but figured I’d ask
A quick search will find a huge thread on the topic...FT won't let me put the link in. The answer is No.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
A quick search will find a huge thread on the topic...FT won't let me put the link in. The answer is No.
This is incorrect, I did it just last month on the same routing with 2 separate PNRs. You can pay the $15/1st bag fee online when checking in with HA. If you do it at the counter, it goes up to $25 as no UA elite baggage waivers apply to the HA leg.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 21, 2018 at 8:05 pm Reason: cleanup after merge
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
This is incorrect, I did it just last month on the same routing with 2 separate PNRs. You can pay the $15/1st bag fee online when checking in with HA. If you do it at the counter, it goes up to $25 as no UA elite baggage waivers apply to the HA leg.

Here's the thread mentioned above:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...iences-19.html
The thread you linked is not the one I tried to link. And the thread you linked is a little vague on the OP's actual question. Your experience is fine, but if you are flying UA on the first leg, what do you need to do to convince UA to tag your bag to your final destination on HA? The thread you link seems to be about flying HA, then connecting to UA.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The thread you linked is not the one I tried to link. And the thread you linked is a little vague on the OP's actual question. Your experience is fine, but if you are flying UA on the first leg, what do you need to do to convince UA to tag your bag to your final destination on HA? The thread you link seems to be about flying HA, then connecting to UA.
The thread goes both ways. In any case, UA is under no obligation to check through to HA. HA is not a *A partner, but you might try anyway. From United's baggage page (bolding mine):

"You'll need to claim and re-check baggage if you are:
  • Making a voluntary stopover
  • Making a connection that involves an overnight stay
  • Connecting to an itinerary booked on a separate ticket that doesn't include a Star Alliance partner airline
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country"
I should read better - OP originating in LIH. OP will pay fees to HA no matter what and mileage varies as to whether agent will check through. HA also has no obligation to check through to UA. HA says they'll deliver baggage to the "final destination on the ticket" (that, which includes the Hawaiian flight), not "final destination on the tickets".

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 21, 2018 at 7:52 pm
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP is flying HA LIH-HNL and then transferring at HNL to a separate UA ticket HNL-EWR. So, maybe it will work. Maybe it will not. OP needs to allow time for it not to work.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Huh? It's not vague in the slightest. Going back 3 months, there's several examples (including my own) of this not being an issue.

This deals specifically with HA inter island to UA mainland. All I did was present both boarding passes and it took less than a minute.

I believe it may have been an issue in the past, but it hasn't been that way for quite awhile now. Although others (given recent comments) will certainly disagree. YMMV.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:01 pm

As of today they insist that they can’t do this anymore. “We used to but too many issues eth missed connections”
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Huh? It's not vague in the slightest. Going back 3 months, there's several examples (including my own) of this not being an issue.

This deals specifically with HA inter island to UA mainland. All I did was present both boarding passes and it took less than a minute.

I believe it may have been an issue in the past, but it hasn't been that way for quite awhile now. Although others (given recent comments) will certainly disagree. YMMV.
As a Hawaii resident and monthly traveler to mainland, I can assure you that the HA’s normal procedure is not to interline on separate tickets. You may have run into s period (or agent?) where HA would, but probably not productive to suggest that interlining is no problem or that it is HA’’s policy when in fact there is nothing in HA’s history or bag wording to support such an assertion. the record is definitely mixed.

probably best to say one should expect to not get the interlining (for planning purposes) and be pleasantly surprised if it works. Don’t need travelers making flight plans assuming bags will certainly be interlined.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 24, 2018 at 3:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.