Business first v. Global First

Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO
Originally Posted by EWR764
There has been no formal announcement, but as I recall mention of the planned changes have been buried in other releases extolling the virtues of the merger and all the planned service enhancements coming in the next few months...

I thought we'd see a more detailed announcement by now.
Thank you for all the information. It is a toss up, I guess I'll keep looking at availability and see how it looks. I must admit I'm crossing my fingers for ANA to open up, but not counting on it.

The following is a link I found to the announcement United made about the new Global First and its other premium products.

http://ir.unitedcontinentalholdings....500&highlight=
Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by markpappai
Thank you for all the information. It is a toss up, I guess I'll keep looking at availability and see how it looks. I must admit I'm crossing my fingers for ANA to open up, but not counting on it.

The following is a link I found to the announcement United made about the new Global First and its other premium products.

http://ir.unitedcontinentalholdings....500&highlight=
There are some details in the press release.

Here is what it says about improvements to GF:

More-comfortable bedding amenities.
Additional in-flight food choices.
New amenity kits featuring Philosophy-brand skin-care products.
Hmmmm...pretty vague.

Regarding BF, though, it's amazing how specific an comprehensive the description of the changes are:

An additional entree option, for a total of four, designed by United's Congress of Chefs. United is also changing the way it prepares business-class meals to improve the quality and taste.
Expanded wine selections chosen by Doug Frost, Sommelier and Master of Wine.
New ice cream sundae dessert option with a choice of six toppings.
Improved in-flight entertainment including noise-reduction headsets.
New amenity kits featuring Philosophy-brand skin-care products.
Duvet-style blankets and higher-quality pillows and hot towels.
Who knows, maybe it's just a lapse, or maybe they're just putting a lot more effort into J than IFC...
Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by markpappai
I have an upcoming award trip from IAH - BKK in May. Currently, I am flying direct IAH in business first to NRT connecting to TG in first to BKK. I've all ready used the miles for a first award. Is it worth traveling to SFO to fly global first to NRT if availability opens up. I've been looking for ANA availability in first, but there is only one flight that would still allow a connection to my TG flight. So far, I have not seen any availability in ANA first. So I guess the question is would there be a big difference between global first and businessfirst and is it worth the extra flight segment?

Thank you for the information
I have another suggestion. How about ANA in C SFO-NRT, or LAX-NRT? If it's their new C product it's about as good as UA GF (I'd say service and soft product way better on ANA, hard product perhaps slightly better on UA), and loads better than BF.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
The long way through ZRH and fly LX F....there is alot of availability on LX F right now, I'm doing it over Xmas to NRT
Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM/UA MM/Marriott PLT Premier-LT PLT
Since its award travel just asking if your alone or with someone. Ive seen couples downgrade to BF so they could be together and enjoy the flight together which isnt really possible in GF.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K
767 Equipment Swap from Global First to BusinessFirst stay or run?

Hi there, I have a first class award flight booked next week for my honeymoon. Everything is looking good until this week when my ORD - BRU flight was changed from a sUA 767 (3 class) to sCO 767 (2 class). My initial reaction was to change my routing through IAD to still get to BRU in Global First, but as a long time UA flyer, I have a twinge to try the new BF setup. I have seen lots of First vs. BusinessFirst comparisons, but havent been able to dig up any 767 to 767 direct comparison since the sCO retrofits on this equipment is a bit more recent.

Am I crazy or should I go for it?

I loved the idea of a small, intimate cabin in GF, especially for honeymoon, but there will be plenty of that the rest of the trip (onward travel in TG Suites, etc).
Old Aug 16, 2012, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Choose the option that doesn't add too many connections onto your TG flight. But i'd try to stay with the first leg out of ORD being the TATL one.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
767 Equipment Swap from Global First to BusinessFirst – stay or run?

The CO 767 has lie flat seats with avod. You won't be disappointed. United first is not much better.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by coplatflyer
The CO 767 has lie flat seats with avod. You won't be disappointed. United first is not much better.
Not if it's a 762 - OP didn't say if it's a 762 or 764.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Might be some useful info here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...bal-first.html
Old Aug 16, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
For the sake of convenience, it might be worth it to keep the flight you've got -- assuming your seat assignments didn't get pushed back into Coach when they switched the gauge Have you confirmed that your seats are in BusinessFirst?

I disagree with coplatflyer - The Global First suites are a step above BusinessFirst. Better storage, more space, nicer blanket & pillows, easy access to the aisle, better amenities & booze. IMO, if you paid for First Class, you should get First Class.

First Class is a rare treat for most of us. If you're a 1K with systemwide upgrades, you'll have other opportunities to try the new Business seats.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
this is not a "continental" 767. It is still the UA 767, only retro-fitted with brand new interior.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
The seatmap shows it as 767-300.

Am I missing something or wrong on reading the equipment?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Grab 1D, ask for downgrade comp, and try the new configuration. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by 787fan
Choose the option that doesn't add too many connections onto your TG flight. But i'd try to stay with the first leg out of ORD being the TATL one.
We spend a full day and a half in BRU before transiting on to TG flight. Not worried about misconnect or extra stops.

Originally Posted by Lori_Q
For the sake of convenience, it might be worth it to keep the flight you've got -- assuming your seat assignments didn't get pushed back into Coach when they switched the gauge Have you confirmed that your seats are in BusinessFirst?
yes, confirmed we are in row 1 right now.

Originally Posted by Lori_Q
First Class is a rare treat for most of us. If you're a 1K with systemwide upgrades, you'll have other opportunities to try the new Business seats.
Great point.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Originally Posted by CALMSP
this is not a "continental" 767. It is still the UA 767, only retro-fitted with brand new interior.
Wow, i really missed the boat. I didnt realize they were already retrofitting the sUA767 to another new interior. I thought they were starting with other equipment first since those just got the new ITPE (relativity) recently. Now wonder i couldnt figure out which sCO 767 I was on, i wasnt.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.