Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by cfischer
for instrument-supported UGs this is not really important. For a CPU that's a different story.
Not true. When I was 1k I could use an upgrade on my partner and there could be a big gap on hub to hub flights.

Your reservation WILL be split, despite what CS tells you.

Note that keeping your reservation together could work against you on waitlists. If only R1 becomes available, someone below you on the list will be upgraded. You will only be upgraded if R2 is released with your combined PNR. YMMV.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:36 pm

Quick question I hope I can get some help with. 1 PNR currently. 2 MP gold and 1 MP general member. Flight in question is domestic and has plenty of PN / PZ space (not sure which one is really the one I am concerned with). Currently within 48 hour CPU window. Flight shows as "CPU requested". Called an agent and asked if he could process the CPU but said he could only process if the reservation was split. Since there are two MP Gold members would it make sense to split the reservation into 1 MP gold / 1 MP gold + general member to automatically process all 3 upgrades? All gold benefits would carry to all members in this case. Also, if PNR is split would it affect any previous seat selections with partner (star alliance or non star alliance) on the same reservation? The general member is a child so we would want to stay together.

Thank you!
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The reservation shows CPU Requested -- you already have a CPU pending. Splitting won't really help (absent a specific case of fewer than 3 but greater than 0 seats available for upgrade). Note that PZ space does not necessarily mean that they will CPU anyone.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1.95MM, HH G, Hertz PC
I am Gold MM so my wife is also Gold. When we travel with our son, we have gotten 3 upgrades several times since those trips tend to be around holidays with much less business travelers.

After PNR split, sometimes I am higher on the list, sometimes my wife is, and invariably only one (if any) gets an upgrade. This complicates seat selection as we try to get aisle-aisle-window on 6 across seating. Does anyone know if there is rhyme or reason to the upgrade list order for split PNRs in this situation?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by hebegb
Does anyone know if there is rhyme or reason to the upgrade list order for split PNRs in this situation?
Despite several hypothesis and a lot of data collection, I have not been able to find any rhyme or reason to the ranking of ostensibly-equivalent upgrade requests originating from a split PNR. Others may have different opinions, but I gave up when the same PNR split resulted in my companion and I being ordered differently on different segments.
hebegb likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by findark
The reservation shows CPU Requested -- you already have a CPU pending. Splitting won't really help (absent a specific case of fewer than 3 but greater than 0 seats available for upgrade). Note that PZ space does not necessarily mean that they will CPU anyone.
Thank you kind stranger. I will hold (and hold my breath) for the 3x upgrade!
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
I have a PNR for a RT itinerary containing one UA Silver and two GMs (and not me), with an outbound flight that departs in a couple days. I think an UG for the Silver is possible on the outbound leg, and possibly the inbound also (though too early to say for sure).

I've noticed recently on OW itineraries that if I'm travelling on the same PNR as GM pax and select one of those pax as my UG companion, (i) we still get split off onto separate PNRs but (ii) the GM companion retains all the rights and privileges of being my companion (SDC for free, appears on the UG list even after SDC, can select E+, etc.).

If the Silver traveller tomorrow selects one of the GMs as their companion, I expect the resultant OLCI split to produce three PNRs (one for each traveler), and the Silver and their designated companion will appear on the list. My question is: will the designated companion appear on the list and retain the same rights on the return journey (which is ~1 week after the outbound)? Or does the system 'forget' the status inheritance / UG rights after the outbound is flown?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1.95MM, HH G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sfo789
I've noticed recently on OW itineraries that if I'm travelling on the same PNR as GM pax and select one of those pax as my UG companion, (i) we still get split off onto separate PNRs but (ii) the GM companion retains all the rights and privileges of being my companion (SDC for free, appears on the UG list even after SDC, can select E+, etc.).
I don't know what all gets carried through, but I have seen after splitting that my GM son loses group 1 on his boarding pass.

Originally Posted by sfo789
If the Silver traveller tomorrow selects one of the GMs as their companion, I expect the resultant OLCI split to produce three PNRs (one for each traveler), and the Silver and their designated companion will appear on the list. My question is: will the designated companion appear on the list and retain the same rights on the return journey (which is ~1 week after the outbound)? Or does the system 'forget' the status inheritance / UG rights after the outbound is flown?
If I recall correctly, splitting on the outbound orphans the GM on the return. If I am buying tickets for my family and its the same price for round trip or two one ways, I make separate one way transactions so that after splitting the outbound, we are back together for the return - at least initially.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by hebegb
I don't know what all gets carried through, but I have seen after splitting that my GM son loses group 1 on his boarding pass.

If I recall correctly, splitting on the outbound orphans the GM on the return. If I am buying tickets for my family and its the same price for round trip or two one ways, I make separate one way transactions so that after splitting the outbound, we are back together for the return - at least initially.
We may be talking about different sorts of splits. I agree that the GM is certainly orphaned if you split them prior to OLCI using the "Separate Travellers" feature on the site, but I've seen status be inherited correctly when the split is performed automatically at OLCI by virtue of selecting the GM as the statused pax's UG companion.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
So my son's PNR was split - how do I find his new PNR? He put his companion first on the joint PNR, so hers hasn't changed..

Perhaps that is why she couldn't get E+ without a phone call. Should he have put himself first on the PNR?

thanks
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Pretty sure my partner maintained my 1K status when we split the PNR last weekend on our return flights. She was right after me on the upgrade list as a gold. Hard to believe there was no one in between, especially on an L fate with 18 people on the upgrade list (not standbys). This would be a nice change.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
So my son's PNR was split - how do I find his new PNR? He put his companion first on the joint PNR, so hers hasn't changed..

Perhaps that is why she couldn't get E+ without a phone call. Should he have put himself first on the PNR?

thanks
if you have the boarding pass (I.e, if this happened at check in, the PNR will be on the BP. If you saved it to Apple Wallet, the PNR is on the back said, so you can click the info. Icon to get it. It should also be in either yours or their accounts - one of them should have both of the reservations listed under the reservations page of the website. I think it probably is the person with the new PNR.

I dont think it makes makes a difference who is first or not on the PNR. Over the years, I can’t determine a pattern of why’ve i get the new PNR, vs. wife. I thought maybe it was by whose account intiated the check in (i.e, that person would keep the PNR), but the system seems to have proved that wrong in the past as well. May just be random - at least that’s all I seem to be able to figure out
Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
So my son's PNR was split - how do I find his new PNR? ....
Does he have a MP account? It will be there.
sabbasolo likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:28 pm
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Does he have a MP account? It will be there.
If not check your email. United will sometimes send an email about it if check-in wasnt completed. Call UA otherwise, they can find it easily.
sabbasolo likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: United 1K,CX GOLD,SPG GOLD, Club Carlson GOLD, Accor PLAT, Amex PLAT
Flying SFO>LAS one way with 5 people on one PNR, me (1K) and 4 non-status.

If I want to roll the dice with a CPU and split the PNR into 2 (Me 1K and 1 Gm) and then the remaining 3 seperated, will the remaining three keep the baggage allowance, group 1, etc?

Was planning to call ahead and have them split before reaching the 96 hour window, any reason why I should or shouldn't do this? I'd rather get a seat or two up front, than nothing for such a short flight but do need the baggage allowance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.