Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Old Mar 5, 2017, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
If you're not pushing for an UG, I'm surprised the PNR is split. Never had that happen on a non-CPU eligible or non-instrument supported itinerary.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
If you're not pushing for an UG, I'm surprised the PNR is split. Never had that happen on a non-CPU eligible or non-instrument supported itinerary.
Did not "push" or request upgrade. Happy with exit seats. Now Mrs.EX received E-Mail with her new PNR # and invitation to check-in on-line. Which of course ends with this :

"YOU ARE NOT CHECKED INWhy didn't I get a boarding pass?Your documentation must be verified at the airport before a boarding pass can be issued.
THIS IS NOT A BOARDING PASS"
Old Mar 5, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA Silver
The reservation can definitely be split without being asked if you want to be on the upgrade list. I just flew a segment of an award flight, and (I assume) because I alone was CPU-eligible, my companion was split onto a new reservation when I checked in via the mobile app. Was never asked if I wanted to be on the upgrade list or if I wanted to split the reservation.

Hopefully she will be able to take advantage of free baggage on the return, even though her new reservation lists a baggage fee.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 9:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos
... Hopefully she will be able to take advantage of free baggage on the return, even though her new reservation lists a baggage fee.
This will be a problem and will agent the check-in agent to research the record to see it was split. This will not happen usually without some gentle pushback and preferably you being there at checkin.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This will be a problem and will agent the check-in agent to research the record to see it was split. This will not happen usually without some gentle pushback and preferably you being there at checkin.
I forgot that as a Plat, I can check all our bags on my reservation. So won't be a problem!
Old Mar 6, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Not sure if it was said before. The record will be split WITHOUT asking in some circumstances. It happened to us the other day when we had requested a domestic upgrade with miles and one of the two segments were waitlisted.

Also, when split (no matter when) my companion has always retained my status thought the rest of the flights (even the return).

But, I have had an auto re-booking situation after a misconnect (I was automatically assigned a new flight and my companion was not). I had to ask the gate agent to fix my companions ticket. He snarkely asked why I was asking about somebody else and I told him our records had been split. He then proceeded to help me.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 11:44 am

So after the PNR splitting we had two different reservation numbers. I got my pre-check but
Mrs. EX did not. If we check in under a single PNR she always gets "pre" with me. Agent
says "pre" showed on the record but would not print out on the boarding pass and there was
nothing she could do. She murmured : "It's Trump.". Beats me.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
So after the PNR splitting we had two different reservation numbers. I got my pre-check but
Mrs. EX did not. If we check in under a single PNR she always gets "pre" with me. Agent
says "pre" showed on the record but would not print out on the boarding pass and there was
nothing she could do. She murmured : "It's Trump.". Beats me.
TSA had commented (before the election) that "complimentary" PreCheck was going away. As they got more using KTN/TTN , unsupported PreCheck (including elite status) was going to be decreased.

The companion no longer on same PNR has been spotty for quite some time.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Does this apply to reservations using GPUs that didn't clear? I got a notice at T-24 saying the upgrades could not be confirmed and I would be added to the airport list. It looks like my reservation was split.

Does this mean that reservations with instruments that don't clear will always be split?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mtmonte
Does this apply to reservations using GPUs that didn't clear? I got a notice at T-24 saying the upgrades could not be confirmed and I would be added to the airport list. It looks like my reservation was split.

Does this mean that reservations with instruments that don't clear will always be split?
Yes, once you are added to the airport standby list it will split your reservation. Because for some reason SHARES can only handle one person per reservation on the upgrade list at a time.

As a side note I believe the same holds true for standing by on a flight. If you wish to standby because you can't be confirmed then your reservation will also be split.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 2:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JDS747
Yes, once you are added to the airport standby list it will split your reservation. Because for some reason SHARES can only handle one person per reservation on the upgrade list at a time.
The reason is that doing it the other way is hard.

You have to hold open inventory if you have less seats available than the number of people in the next reservation on the upgrade list.

That means you can't let anyone else sneak in and grab the inventory (say, with an instrument). But maybe you do want to let them sneak in with a TOD.

It also means that at some point, you have to allow the GA to either force split the reservation OR skip the next reservation in the queue if they know, for sure, they will only have X free seats and >X people on the next reservation in the queue. And they should probably record people's preferences as to whether they want to split and upgrade less than everyone or skip and stay together and let the next person on the list upgrade.

And, if they DO prefer one person upgraded and one not, then they have to split the reservation anyway since you can't have seats in multiple cabins on the same PNR.

All that said, it's still no excuse for auto-splitting.
Old May 18, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Was just auto-split without my permission on a mixed carrier, mixed cabin award itinerary using mobile app.

We were waitlisted for domestic F since we had a J award. I tried web check in earlier today but no dice due to passport check. But, .bomb told me I could use the mobile app and scan passports and would be blessed with a successful check in replete with boarding passes.

Did the mobile app checkin with passport scan which was accepted but still no dice, doc check required at airport so you lose. No BP for you.

Oh, by the way we split ur PNR without asking or telling you that we did it. I just happened to notice I was the only one left on the reservation.
Old May 19, 2017, 1:03 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
With all the issues that people have with this, and I have been one of them and it is bad when you travel with people with lower status, especially children, why has UA not made it an option so you can say at check-in you do not want the reservation split? Most of the time I would not care but the times I do care it has gone south very quickly, very badly mainly due to MX issues and although I was protected my flying companions have not been even though original reservation was all under one reservation. And what it does when you add in non-UA flights is a horrific experience (based on my past travel experiences ).

I am not a programmer but I do not understand why this cannot be made an option at check-in. Default being what they currently do since this seems to be the preferred option for UA.
Old May 20, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I split my reservation recently, on my return flight, I found that my companion was freely to do whatever he wanted on the mobile app without charge: SDC, E+ seating, etc.. etc.. It also show'd that he was CPU eligible for the 96 Hour 1K window.

It seems like it's working like it should now?
Old May 20, 2017, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by schnitzer
I split my reservation recently, on my return flight, I found that my companion was freely to do whatever he wanted on the mobile app without charge: SDC, E+ seating, etc.. etc.. It also show'd that he was CPU eligible for the 96 Hour 1K window.

It seems like it's working like it should now?
Not really. 1K here and wife is now silver. We split ressies last week to get on the upgrade list and the app wanted to charge me for E+ seating when I wanted to switch to another row. Had to get GA to override and even she remarked that the app behavior was bizarre... Then again, I guess nothing is unexpected from UA these days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.