Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
That is just odd... I have never had any issues having any other people board with me early when I tell the GA they are with me.
I've only had that issue once, at ORD on a regional jet. GA wouldn't let my co-worker board with me, even though I said we were traveling together and sitting next to each other. Dude wouldn't budge. It was really weird.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
That is just odd... I have never had any issues having any other people board with me early when I tell the GA they are with me.
Yeah, it was probably more of a GA issue than a systems issue, as I haven't had problems with this in the past either.

But still frustrating to know that if the res hadn't been auto-split, we both would have had group 3 on our BPs and it wouldn't have been an issue. Clearly, the system is getting it partly right (still printing "Premier Access" on the BP) but not completely.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K (pmua), Hhonors Gold
Yeah the GA was just wrong. It's actually on United's website

Tip: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both can board with the earlier group.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Never had a boarding problem bringing my colleague or companion on with me either.....some GA's are just power tripped and these are isolated incidents I think
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:13 pm

I've seen some mention that a lot of this can be avoided if you select 'no' for upgrades, so I thought I'd share my experience.

I don't travel UA too often with companions, but last month I (Gold) was traveling cross country with my sister (GM). I knew about this split PNR issue so I was careful when checking in online. When I was asked about the possibility of upgrading, I checked the no box - while I wanted an upgrade, I'd rather sit next to her in E+ instead as they were long flights. The next message I got said that she had been checked in, but I had to check in at the airport. I called and they said they couldn't see why I could not do online check in and told me to do it at the airport. I thought it was a security thing.

At the airport, I went to the kiosk, entered out PNR and both of our names came up, selected check-in yet only her boarding pass printed. Asked an agent who was confused and couldn't figure out why. Called two other agents over and it was determined that I would have to split our reservation because I am an 'elite member.' I told them I didn't want to do this, mainly because it could present issues for our return flight (which was sold out), and that I didn't care about the upgrade. After a few minutes of back and forth, I was told the only way I could check in for the flight was to either split the reservation or cancel the entire thing and rebook it without my MP number. I ended up splitting our reservation.

At the gate, the agent wasn't able to add either of us to the upgrade list for the originating flight, but was able to for our connecting flight (weird). And as predicted our return flight was screwed up. We were both assigned the same seat, as in we were both 7A, when we were originally 7A and 7B. Since the flight was booked solid, we had no other options so I waited until we got to the airport and then the check in agent wouldn't give her a seat confirmation and questioned me as to why I would split our reservation to begin with. At the gate, we worked with the agent and she was able to get her a seat in E+.

This coming weekend will be my second time flying UA with a companion post-merger and in preparation I just ended up booking one-ways instead of a RT. Hopefully this will avoid as many headaches as possible. Has anyone else resorted to booking one-ways when flying with companions?
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Originally Posted by pdx1M
How do you even find the PNR for the split off reservation. I was managing a trip for my wife and a friend who were together but their reservation split on the outbound checkin for the upgrade list. (Luckily their return upgrade got cleared first.) Now I can't find the friend's half of the reservation.
It's a big PITA - have to log in from the other pax' account. Either that, or call up UA to find it.
PNRs also print on the bottom of your BP. If you're split at checking, the new PNR will show on the companion BP. That's how I figured out my wife and I were split on our first post 3/3 trip.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, 2.3MM; AA ExecPlat 1.2MM
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Regardless of which sCompany brought us this bundle of joy, UNITED needs to address this ASAP.

Imagine your a normal traveler with companions that are dependent on you (children, elderly, handicap, etc.), the PNR is split, and something goes FUBAR. I would be livid that the airline tried to separate me and my children, intentions be dammed.

All it takes is one time for UA to drop this ball before a parent, or caretaker go elsewhere. People would remember this for a long time.
There are going to be some changes in the coming months that I think you are going to like - Jeff Smisek, CEO United Airlines.

Just another reason for elite flyers to leave UA. They only want to maximize revenue from random pax, they don't care about you. In fact they have put in place these systems that make flying UA more difficult for elites. All they understand is $$ - speak with your feet and dump the (non) loyalty program.

Originally Posted by vg247
Hello fellow United flyers:

I just learned the hard way this evening on how awful the merger can be to us loyal folks (1K speaking for myself) and wanted to share this with everyone, in addition I also like to solicit feedback on anyone's similar experiences to date:

My spouse (Premier status) and I (1K status) travel to Hawaii quite often each year and the aircraft they fly from SFO is a 767 (many 1st class seats). As a 1K traveling to Hawaii various times of the year (peak travel periods included), my spouse always gets the complimentary companion upgrade along with myself well within the 48 hr to travel window.

**So the current issue experienced today is like this - We bought this itinerary scheduled to depart SFO-OGG tomorrow about 2mos ago and through this evening there has been no upgrade for neither one of us when I went to check in online. I came back online hours later to print the boarding passes as I was not near a printer when I first checked in and only found my name on the original itinerary (was able to only print my boarding pass as result). I called United to see what happened to my spouse's info and they told me when I checked in, the reservation was "split into two" different ones as result of the auto-upgrade system. They said, because I'm a 1K my upgrade status went onto the list at a different level than my spouse's, who's reservation is now under a new confirmation number and upgrade status (due to her being only Premier)

The United rep. was very patient and helpful as I politely expressed to him my frustration that this did not make sense, as an Elite flyer's companion is always upgraded at the same standby time and place in line so that the two people traveling together are upgraded together,etc. He asked me to hold while he went and spoke to a supervisor about the issue and came back to advise me that because of the merger the system places travelers on the standby list one at a time by their status. And with my reservation, he explained that once I checked in for both my spouse and I, the system split the two up into different confirmation numbers and placed us into the upgrade list accordingly by status. **He said if we wanted to be sure to sit together then we can cancel the upgrades and maintain our seats in Economy together OR stick to the upgrade and risk myself being upgraded as a 1K and my spouse NOT being upgrade (as a Premier).

This does not make any sense to me for all the above obvious reasons, so does this mean that everytime a higher status member travels on the same itinerary as their spouse's of a lower status we will be separated due to this new upgrade process? In addition, as you all know one of the perks of being a 1K Elite,etc is to be able to have a companion being upgrade together with you when you travel- so what's the point in this case if one will always be upgrade over the other due to their status differences as the system does not keep "persons of the same itinerary together" as mentioned.

Sorry for the long details and length of email folks but just wanted to keep all of you informed and know what to expect. I also wanted to see who else out there experienced this and whether United was able to "better" address and correct the issue for you?? Has anyone written to United about this because I'm curious if/how they rectify or reconcile these types of issues...

(*While being a 1K over the last decade, the only time I was separated and upgraded while my spouse was not and we were on the same reservation, was about a year ago flying Continental pre-merger)
In the coming months you'll see some changes I think you're going to like ...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 30, 2012 at 7:28 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 30, 2012, 2:26 am

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 130 fsw
In the coming months you'll see some changes I think you're going to like ...
Thanks 130 fsw, anything you can elaborate on at the moment? After these recent post merger issues when flying with a companion, we're now not even excited to be traveling together on United as we always were upgraded together (since I'm a MM my chances have always been 90% and up)

We're comtemplating switching programs at this point bc United isnt making things better and making them worst instead...many times unannounced, where travelers have to learn the hard way. i.e no told us about this PNR split thing and when they did I had search call United numerous times just to find out the new confirmation # for my spouse who was split from mine..
Old May 1, 2012, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

Hoping I don't get too flamed for asking this in this thread, but I figured this is the best place for it.

Is there any way to force a PNR to split so my wife and I can be added to the upgrade standby list? If not online, will they be able to do this at the airport?

Long story short - specifically didn't split on the outbound since upgrade chances looked near zero. For return, 1/2 cleared in advance, then auto-check in happened (which I still have no idea how to disable), presumably using those same settings, so not on the airport upgrade list. While I talked to a nice PMCO agent who seemed like she was trying, she wasn't much help.
Old May 7, 2012, 12:58 am

Let continue and stick to the OP on this thread with the issues of reservations splitting at T-24 due to upgrade...any recent fliers please chime in with their experiences.

Not that there will be a good response or any changes soon, I wrote United that their "Companion Upgrade Policy" is not working since the merger and has even gotten worst. I let them know that companions dont get upgrade with the same priority status like they should be. And in addition, this have cause many people who fly together end up having one in first class and their spouse like my case end up in the economy purchased class. OR decline the upgrade and you both can sit together in economy which totally defeats the purpose of being an elite flier and unable to utilize the privileges as such

Here is United's Companion Upgrade Policy:

Companion policy
In 2012, -In addition, one companion traveling "on the same reservation" as a Premier member will also be eligible for a Complimentary Premier Upgrade on select flights, and may be confirmed "with the **same priority" as the Premier member, even on day of departure.

Basically United has been deceiving us and not doing what it's policy says and I hope this can be brought to their attention somehow
Old May 7, 2012, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by vg247

Here is United's Companion Upgrade Policy:

Companion policy
In 2012, -In addition, one companion traveling "on the same reservation" as a Premier member will also be eligible for a Complimentary Premier Upgrade on select flights, and may be confirmed "with the **same priority" as the Premier member, even on day of departure.

Basically United has been deceiving us and not doing what it's policy says and I hope this can be brought to their attention somehow
Do you really think they care? I'm serious.....
Old May 7, 2012, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
This was a HUGE PITA yesterday dealing with the ORD IRROPS - every agent interaction (phone or in person), I had to explain that my wife had been split onto her own PNR due to this wanton auto-splitting. Fortunately they were able to keep us together flight/seatwise, but I'm guessing others aren't always so lucky.

This also caused double the never-ending typing w/SHARES in dealing with flight rebooking, hotel/food vouchers, etc.
Old May 8, 2012, 12:15 am

On May 1 we both upgraded DEN-LAS at the Gold level before the record split. Then a few hours later I upgraded on a second flight, but my companion did not, and the record split at that point. Prior to the record splitting the companion made the upgrade lists. I upgraded on all three legs, but my companion did not on two of the flights. The airport upgrades went to others. On one flight, I was first on the upgrade list, and my companion third. There were 2 seats so the companion missed out. So much for upgrading at the same priority. If I was first you would think my companion would have been second?
Old May 8, 2012, 12:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
This also caused double the never-ending typing w/SHARES in dealing with flight rebooking, hotel/food vouchers, etc.
This is the single worst thing of the new combined airline to me, at least..given that I travel with my wife a decent amount of the time...but the lies UA keeps telling, just rub me the wrong way.

I found a 'new' reality in PNR auto-splitting.

My wife and I were both confirmed on u/g instruments a week in advance for every upgradeable flight. We were fine checking in and going from BWI-LAX. We tried (finally an agent knew how to actually process it...sad in it's own right) for standby on LAX-SAN.

When we went on standby, our PNRs must have had to be split, for some unknown reason. Stupid, unknown and idiotic. But, at least it won't screw us up with upgrades (since we were already confirmed on both of our return flights).

However, we get to SAN and check in with an agent. The agent checks our bags and prints my BPs out. She then says that my wife's boarding passes won't both print (only one will) because of something about the record. Then, she spends ~5 minutes printing a single boarding pass, because the record was split. Luckily, we didn't have any IRROPS (the flight in front of us went MX and a A320 load of folks had to be rebooked), but still - stupid and pointless.

I know it wasn't a horrible experience, but the fact is, when there are no upgrades at all to worry about and just requesting STANDBY now requires companions to be split from original PNRs, this shows me even more that SHARES was never meant to be used by a 'real' airline. At all.

-jeremy
Old May 8, 2012, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Do you really think they care? I'm serious.....
Thanks for sharing everyone...^

dsquared- I'm sure they do not care as this benefits the airline even more, when our campanions do not get the upgrade as promised per their Companion Upgrade policy. However, I'm hopeful that if there are enough complaints and perhaps loss in revenue due to these issues along with others out there due to the merger; this would be a wake up call for United to fix

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.