Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2017, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
I was expecting the reservation to be split at 24 hours or when I checked in, but it was never split, and remains as one reservation. We have already completed the outbound segments.
It's not clear what the fact set is. Specifically, which flights you were already upgraded on. If you were upgraded for the outbound flights at T-72, the PNR would not be split at check-in. You would presumably have the option of splitting at check-in for the return.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's not clear what the fact set is. Specifically, which flights you were already upgraded on. If you were upgraded for the outbound flights at T-72, the PNR would not be split at check-in. You would presumably have the option of splitting at check-in for the return.
Oh I see, I guess this was a first for us (having both segments upgraded at T-72). Outbound, PHL-ORD-LAX were upgraded. On the return, LAX-IAH has been upgraded and we are waitlisted for IAH-PHL.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Oh I see, I guess this was a first for us (having both segments upgraded at T-72). Outbound, PHL-ORD-LAX were upgraded. On the return, LAX-IAH has been upgraded and we are waitlisted for IAH-PHL.
If you haven't cleared IAH-PHL prior to check-in for the return, you will be given the option to split if you want to retain the possibility of upgrading at the gate.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
yes, you'll get the option to split on return if not cleared by then. There's no point in system splitting now since you are already upgraded on both outbound segments.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, UA Premier Platinum, National Executive
UA reservation split at check in

I am a premier platinum member booked on a flight to India tomorrow with my family. I had requested an MUA for all of us and we are still waitlisted. Today when I checked in for the flight, the reservation was split into 4 without asking me. When I called the premier desk I was told the 4 records cannot be recombined. Any idea why this happened? Will they get the benefit of my platinum status on the upgrade standby list?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by DLrunner
Any idea why this happened?
It auto-splits the PNR at check-in (without asking) if you have an instrument applied. The system can only upgrade single pax PNRs at the gate, so this is the only way for everyone to get on the gate list.

Originally Posted by DLrunner
Will they get the benefit of my platinum status on the upgrade standby list?
Yes. Likely last among any Plats who are waitlisted.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
There is a long thread about this dating back to 2012

The wiki may have your answers.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Kacee
It auto-splits the PNR at check-in (without asking) if you have an instrument applied.
It does not require an instrument. Even CPU will split the PNR.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
With CPU however the system asks upon checkin if the PNRs should be split or not.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by boat9781
With CPU however the system asks upon checkin if the PNRs should be split or not.
It didn't ask us two weeks ago. The system split us up before we ever got to checkin.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 5:56 pm

As already noted, it will ask you at check-in if no instrument is applied.

The system split us up before we ever got to checkin.
That was something else then. Not an auto-split.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
It didn't ask us two weeks ago. The system split us up before we ever got to checkin.
the only time since the merger I've ever not been asked at check in is a) if I'm traveling by myself and therefore no split necessary to go on the list, or b) if our party has already been upgraded (or, similar to above, c) where I've applied for a mileage upgrade and so like an instrument, system splits automatically at check in without asking). I've also never been split in advance of checkin automatically without me specifically splitting the PNR myself.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, UA Premier Platinum, National Executive
I am pretty sure that the check in agent screwed up, but his lead also confirmed. After our records were auto split at check in due to MUAs, my premier platinum checked bag benefit did not transfer to my family who were originally on my reservation.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:20 pm

My husband and I are on a BUR-SEA flight-BUR (via SFO; I'm Platinum, hubby no status). This was an emergency rebooking from an LAX-SEA-LAX route. We'd been upgraded on the LAX/SEA trip both ways. When we rebooked, we had upgrades on the first leg (BUR-SFO), but not the longer leg. We didn't check in til we got to Burbank, and I specifically asked the counter agent not to split our PNRs. But when we got to SFO, I'd been upgraded on the next leg and my husband hadn't. Our records had been split.(I got the last seat)

We got upgraded on the return sometime yesterday (flying today). But before we checked in, the system had split our records. We didn't use automatic check in; we checked in at the airport. The gate agent told me this happened "because of my status."

What happened doesn't sound like it conforms to what the WIKI says. How would I have prevented the splitting of our records?

Also, we are flying internationally in a week, United to LHR and then on via South African Airways. I'm hoping for a mileage +$ upgrade on the LAX-LHR leg (we already have that confirmed for the return). On other advice on FT, we will delay check in as long as possible. But whatever happens --will that affect our PNR on SAA at all?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mmthomps
We got upgraded on the return sometime yesterday (flying today). But before we checked in, the system had split our records. We didn't use automatic check in; we checked in at the airport. The gate agent told me this happened "because of my status."

What happened doesn't sound like it conforms to what the WIKI says. How would I have prevented the splitting of our records?
If this was a round-trip, then as soon as the record was split (on the outbound), it stayed split. There's no way to get the reservations back onto a single PNR after that happens.

It sounds like maybe you changed your reservation on the day of travel? It's possible that the phone agent checked you in, splitting the records in the process, thinking she was doing you a favor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.