Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Thanks Juventini and Boraxo
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
My understanding with a PNR of more than 2 with only one as an elite, is that UA should give you the option to select a companion to put on the upgrade list with you (that will split into two new records) and leave the others on the existing PNR together. This should happen at check in.

Since I rarely travel on a PNR with more than 2, I don't know how this works exactly - if the kiosk will allow you to do it or it's something you need to request from an agent.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Never mind - I forgot these were award tix, so no upgrades because I don't have the UA Chase card.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Never mind - I forgot these were award tix, so no upgrades because I don't have the UA Chase card.
Even with the card I have never ever been upgraded on award tix.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 3:03 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Even with the card I have never ever been upgraded on award tix.
I have.. I was surpised but it works. I was the lowest priorty in the PLAT Group, but above all GOLD members per the terms of the program. Safe Travels
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Globalist
Guys, sorry, I really need help. Was on the phone with United for 30 minutes before being hung up on.

I have United Silver status, and my companion has none. We were on the same PNR, and I checked in on the app this morning for a flight tomorrow - and suddenly the PNR was split and to make things worse as is, I got the first class upgrade notification and she didn't.

I thought the upgrade spilled over to my companion so that we both get upgraded if there are seats T-24, but I was the only one upgraded and now we're stuck in different cabins.

Is there any way to fix this?
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by meraki1990
Is there any way to fix this?
An agent can fix it at the airport if they feel like being helpful. Or you can just ask the person sitting next to your companion to trade seats with you.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have United Silver status, and my companion has none. We were on the same PNR, and I checked in on the app this morning for a flight tomorrow - and suddenly the PNR was split and to make things worse as is, I got the first class upgrade notification and she didn't.
During the check-in process, it asks if you'd like to be considered for an upgrade. However, the upgrade list for checked-in passengers -- the one that appears in the flight status and on the airport monitors -- can only upgrade one passenger at a time, so, if you answer 'yes' to that question, the PNR is split.

Note that if this is the outbound of a round-trip ticket, you're going to run into some irregularities at the airport on the return trip also.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 26, 2017 at 10:52 am Reason: clean after move; thanls for the link
Old Jan 26, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jsloan
During the check-in process, it asks if you'd like to be considered for an upgrade. However, the upgrade list for checked-in passengers -- the one that appears in the flight status and on the airport monitors -- can only upgrade one passenger at a time, so, if you answer 'yes' to that question, the PNR is split.

Note that if this is the outbound of a round-trip ticket, you're going to run into some irregularities at the airport on the return trip also.
Tough luck.. I don't even see my companion on the upgrade standby list.

There definitely is something weird going on.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Tough luck.. I don't even see my companion on the upgrade standby list.
That's been reported quite a bit lately. Apparently a new UA IT error.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold (Million Miler), FI Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
I actually didn't know about this splitting (or forgot). A few days ago when my husband and I got to the airport to check our bags, the agent told us we were re-routed due to a delay, but we weren't routed together since we had different PNRs. I asked why we were split and the agent insisted we booked them separately - she didn't even know (or else enjoyed trying to p*ss customers off with "falsehoods".
Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Splitting Strategy for a Silver

Usually this isn't an issue because there is typically 0 chance of a domestic upgrade as a silver, however on Friday night it seems like we have an outside chance.

I'm traveling with my girlfriend and there is a chance on the outbound leg for an upgrade, and a better chance on the return leg. I'm thinking about calling in at t-24 and being moved up to E+ without checking in, and then not checking in until we arrive at the airport (possibly splitting depending on the situation and upgrade list).

If I understand correctly, if we split on the outbound leg, my girlfriend will be ineligible for an upgrade on the return leg, where it appears we have a better chance at the upgrade? Is this correct?
Old Feb 19, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Silver trying to get E+
My companion is also a silver.

Ideally I'd like to check in online and get E+ and NOT split the reservation for either legs. One of us is a minor and the system gives him problems checking in online as it thinks he is traveling alone.

How would I go about doing that, do I have to call?
Old Feb 19, 2017, 11:20 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Seby12
Silver trying to get E+
My companion is also a silver.

Ideally I'd like to check in online and get E+ and NOT split the reservation for either legs. One of us is a minor and the system gives him problems checking in online as it thinks he is traveling alone.

How would I go about doing that, do I have to call?
The splitting happens when you request to be placed on the gate upgrade list -- decline that.

As for the issue with being a minor -- avoid this by booking the original ticket as all adults. Does not create any problem and avoids your issue.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 8:50 am

And, today, again the same problem as always. We have a flight out of LAX to BCN. Ready to check in. Both 1 K, one itinerary. I still hold U.S., Mrs. EX holds Japan passport with Green card.
Invited to check in online. All questions answered, passport numbers verified, go to print. Then at
that moment it shows my boarding passes but below notes for Mrs. EX "this is not a boarding pass",
requiring doc check. And at this time the PNR is split. I did not ask for it, did not want it. With nearly
100 flights p.a. why is this still ongoing??? I swore I never would check in on-line again, so it's my own fault. System sucks big time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.