Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GroundStop
Thanks mgcsinc - helpful as always. I thought that I had read of already upgraded PNRs being split, but maybe I mis-interpreted.
I can't swear it never happens, but I've not had it happen to me in dozens of flights.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)
Originally Posted by alex_b
I can't swear it never happens, but I've not had it happen to me in dozens of flights.
Thanks - I rarely travel on the same PNR as my spouse, and when I do I've managed to avoid this CF by booking one-ways...
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Involuntary PNR Split (VENT #2 of the day)

Im just having one of those days. As you may have seen on my earlier venting thread, I was having a hard time processing an upgrade for my son and I for tomorrow (DOT complaint already filed).

Anyway, I thought - well, now that it is only 2 of us on the PNR we can get upgraded with my 1K status. We had originally had 4 of us but it was split when I upgraded my wife and daughter. I called the (ahem) 1K line and got a very nice and knowledgeable agent. I told her the story and she knew about the upgrade flag that needed to be set to say I now wanted an upgrade. Thanks, good job. And now it goes down hill.

I made the mistake of asking where we would be on the upgrade list. She said hold on let me check. A few minutes later she comes back and said, "I called the airport to get you two on the list. You are now 1 and 2 on the upgrade list." Great - I did not ask her to do that but wow, she was going above to make my life easier.

And then it hit me - she seperated our PNRs! There was a reason I only wanted her to check. I did not want to seperate from my 6 year old son on the plane if it wasn't a sure thing (which it isnt now that we are #2 and 3). I only wanted to know how it looked. Why am I complaining? Well, now on our return I will DEFINITELY get the upgrade (no laughs - Im 100% on that flight for solo upgrades and the load is very light for a 1k upgrade). He, on the other hand, has no chance of getting it unless we get lucky at the gate. Beforehand, he would have most likely got it when I did in the usual sweep.

Why, oh why, do they seperate freaking PNRs...WHY!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, done venting for the day (I think - what could go wrong next? MX, WX, WifeX???) Why didn't I just drive the 1000 miles!!!!
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by gldwebs
Im just having one of those days. As you may have seen on my earlier venting thread, I was having a hard time processing an upgrade for my son and I for tomorrow (DOT complaint already filed).

Anyway, I thought - well, now that it is only 2 of us on the PNR we can get upgraded with my 1K status. We had originally had 4 of us but it was split when I upgraded my wife and daughter. I called the (ahem) 1K line and got a very nice and knowledgeable agent. I told her the story and she knew about the upgrade flag that needed to be set to say I now wanted an upgrade. Thanks, good job. And now it goes down hill.

I made the mistake of asking where we would be on the upgrade list. She said hold on let me check. A few minutes later she comes back and said, "I called the airport to get you two on the list. You are now 1 and 2 on the upgrade list." Great - I did not ask her to do that but wow, she was going above to make my life easier.

And then it hit me - she seperated our PNRs! There was a reason I only wanted her to check. I did not want to seperate from my 6 year old son on the plane if it wasn't a sure thing (which it isnt now that we are #2 and 3). I only wanted to know how it looked. Why am I complaining? Well, now on our return I will DEFINITELY get the upgrade (no laughs - Im 100% on that flight for solo upgrades and the load is very light for a 1k upgrade). He, on the other hand, has no chance of getting it unless we get lucky at the gate. Beforehand, he would have most likely got it when I did in the usual sweep.

Why, oh why, do they seperate freaking PNRs...WHY!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, done venting for the day (I think - what could go wrong next? MX, WX, WifeX???) Why didn't I just drive the 1000 miles!!!!
i don't think you can go on the airport upgrade list unless they split your pnrs
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by travel.flier
i don't think you can go on the airport upgrade list unless they split your pnrs
I know - thats why I only asked how it looked. I wasnt going to add us until the last minute and only if it was a sure thing. Now, not only is it a not sure thing, but there goes the return.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by gldwebs
I know - thats why I only asked how it looked. I wasnt going to add us until the last minute and only if it was a sure thing. Now, not only is it a not sure thing, but there goes the return.
i guess i'm not clear what you wanted her to do. you asked where you would be on the upgrade list. the only way to know is to put you on the upgrade list and find out. unless you were expecting her to look at all 50 people on the upgrade list, figure out their status, if they used an instrument, guess what time they checked in...? is that what you were thinking when you asked the question? or something else?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Actually from an upgrade perspective your status will transfer to him on the separate PNR and he'll get all companion benefits including upgrades, free bags, Premier Access, E+...and he will inherit your status on the upgrade list at the airport.

I have recent experience doing this multiple times with non-status companions when I had to change my travel plans but not theirs... they even retained my status on flights that I didn't fly with them on and got all the associated benefits.

You can even test this out.. look at his PNR.. does it have the message saying a CPU has been requested for him? Can you move him around in the E+ cabin without it requiring a fee?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Actually from an upgrade perspective your status will transfer to him on the separate PNR and he'll get all companion benefits including upgrades, free bags, Premier Access, E+...and he will inherit your status on the upgrade list at the airport.

I have recent experience doing this multiple times with non-status companions when I had to change my travel plans but not theirs... they even retained my status on flights that I didn't fly with them on and got all the associated benefits.

You can even test this out.. look at his PNR.. does it have the message saying a CPU has been requested for him? Can you move him around in the E+ cabin without it requiring a fee?
Just tried - cannot move him in e+ and it does not say cpu requested.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Call again.

He should inherit your status for CPU purposes as your companion.

I don't know how you are getting 100% upgrade rates on DEN-ORD and vv, but here was my recent experience with my spouse and child.

I'm DEN based, so outbound was DEN-ORD and return was ORD-DEN
  • I flew out ahead of my family. Finished 5th on the upgrade list on a 738.
  • My spouse (also 1K) and child (silver) split reservation at check in. Spouse was upgraded at about T-23 and child upgraded at the gate. PMUA 752 so 24 seats. Spouse and child appeared near one another on the upgrade list but not adjacent, implying child was ranked below other "real" 1Ks but not at her actual status level.
  • On the return we were all on the same flight but three separate reservations. On an A320 we finished 6th, 7th, and 10th. Child would have been about 40th on her own status.

Good luck!
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by bmr12
Call again.

I don't know how you are getting 100% upgrade rates on DEN-ORD and vv, but here was my recent experience with my spouse and child.

• My spouse (also 1K) and child (silver) split reservation at check in. Spouse was upgraded at about T-23 and child upgraded at the gate. PMUA 752 so 24 seats. Spouse and child appeared near one another on the upgrade list but not adjacent, implying child was ranked below other "real" 1Ks but not at her actual status level.
  • On the return we were all on the same flight but three separate reservations. On an A320 we finished 6th, 7th, and 10th. Child would have been about 40th on her own status.

Good luck!
Since I have a lot of freedom for selecting my flights, I stick with the oddballs (tuesday nights/wednesday way too early)
Old Aug 6, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by bmr12
Call again.

Good luck!
Outstanding advice! I can confirm that this is exactly how things play out in situations like this—I (Silver) have been separated from my fiancé (Plat) many a time, and every time I am on the upgrade list at the bottom of the real Platinums, implying that I inherit her status while being prioritized below real Platinums.

You can call UA and ask for your son's reservation to be noted, though, to be honest, that will do nothing for you until you're at the airport and, more likely at the gate speaking with the GA (or in the UC speaking with a desk attendant).

Worst case scenario? You ask to be downgraded so you can sit with your son. If that's the real concern, that's a relatively straight-forward solution.

Good luck, and safe travels!
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Why did this PNR split??

This one I don't get..

Outbound: Ms CMCLP and I on a single PNR, both upgraded by miles at time of ticketing. single PNR at check-in and the day after arrival.

Return - (5 days later) - relying on CPUs for red-eye back. See that i have cleared but notice that MS CMCULP is now on a separate PNR and not upgraded. And in the middle seat next to where I was...an error I usually avoid.

What caused this split? No auto check-in involved and no pending upgrades through the out bound??? I solved this with an RPU, but didn't want to do that. Wanted us either together in E+ or together via CPU in R, not split and salvaged.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by cmculp
This one I don't get..

Outbound: Ms CMCLP and I on a single PNR, both upgraded by miles at time of ticketing. single PNR at check-in and the day after arrival.

Return - (5 days later) - relying on CPUs for red-eye back. See that i have cleared but notice that MS CMCULP is now on a separate PNR and not upgraded. And in the middle seat next to where I was...an error I usually avoid.

What caused this split? No auto check-in involved and no pending upgrades through the out bound??? I solved this with an RPU, but didn't want to do that. Wanted us either together in E+ or together via CPU in R, not split and salvaged.
Is it possible she checked in and said "Yes" to the Upgrade Standby List question? If not, did you have any correspondence with UA between the outbound and return?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LukeRB
Is it possible she checked in and said "Yes" to the Upgrade Standby List question? If not, did you have any correspondence with UA between the outbound and return?
We remain un-checked in. No, none until I I called the 1K line and asked why the split. They told me it was because of the out bound upgrade. Not true as those cleared at ticketing and we remained on the same PNR at least 1 day after arriving.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by cmculp
We remain un-checked in. No, none until I I called the 1K line and asked why the split. They told me it was because of the out bound upgrade. Not true as those cleared at ticketing and we remained on the same PNR at least 1 day after arriving.
Strange…

If I were you, I would submit feedback to UA asking what happened and expressing your disappointment in the situation and communication. Worst case? They don't respond and/or don't help. Best case? They give you compensation for the inconvenience (I wouldn't expect more than $50 or 5,000 award miles).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.